PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
07-25-2005, 8:41 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone and I am no longer ONCALL!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!! :D :D :D

Well....most of the weekend was spent working for "work", BUT, Mark and I went in together on a small backhoe for various work we needed done and I got my driveway fixed, new culvert put in, replaced another culvert for a buddy that I work with. It was TOUGH working outside this weekend. It was HOT!!!!!!!

Anyway, the work is done now, the LOML is happy, I am happy, and ONCALL is OVER....at least for now.

No real shop time for me this weekend.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Donnie Raines
07-25-2005, 8:57 AM
A bunch of stuff....hikeing, grilling out, shopping, orgainzing the lumber rack.....more grilling out.

Scott Coffelt
07-25-2005, 9:06 AM
Got back Saturday morning at 1AM from Myrtle Beach and vacation, so Saturday was a late morning riser. Did all those things you do when you get back from being gone.

Sunday I installed door knobs, I had previously installed and then removed to get ready for the house sale, on all the interior and exterior doors. Started going through boxes that were in storage and putting away.

Rested a little.

Now back to the grind stone.

Steve Knowlton
07-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Got Up Early On Sat. Went Down To Church And Mowed The Lawn. Then Went Back Home And Drilled, Glued And Reemed Out 100 Pen Kits For The Fair Nexty Week. We Have A Both To Do Freedom Pens.
Sun. Went To Church. Then Drove 40 Miles To Pickup Up Some Pews For Our Camp. Took Them Up To The Camp. Then Home To Restup For Today.

Jim Becker
07-25-2005, 10:30 AM
No woodworking, which was not unexpected this month. This was the last weekend that our girls will be with us until we can complete the whole adoption process (they fly back to Russia next Saturday...a very black day for us, I'm sure), so we had a lot of fun together with a group picnic/swim party on Saturday in Ringoes NJ and a swiming/picnic event at our good friends yesterday. I may or may not be in the shop next Sunday...

Tyler Howell
07-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Escaped the heat of the city for my favorite body of water, Lake Superior. No sailing this weekend just hanging out taking in it's glory.:cool:

Back in the office, nose to the grind stone.

JayStPeter
07-25-2005, 10:48 AM
I started stock preparation for my next project. I'm still uncertain what that project will be, but most likely it'll be painted cabinets or dressers for the kids. So, I started prep on a bunch of poplar I had around.

Otherwise, had to go to work some, hung out with the family, and cleaned my truck for the first time in a long time.

Jay

Eddie Watkins
07-25-2005, 10:49 AM
I put in a new A/C in my shop this weekend. But first I had to add a window and the 220v circuit to run it so it took pretty much all weekend. When I built the shop I put in 3'0"x3'0" windows which will only open 15", not big enough for most air conditioners, so I had to add a 3'0"x4'0" to put the A/C in. I chose to add a window rather than cut a hole for the A/C for the extra light and so I can take the A/C out without leaving a hole in case I ever need to. My shop is 24x30x12 metal building with 3" of insulation(not great but okay). The insulation has reflective foil facing out. I added a 24,000 BTU unit and it appears to be about the right size. It dropped the tempature from 95 to 85 in 30 minutes. It sure beats sweating. Cool in the Heartland
Eddie

Ken Fitzgerald
07-25-2005, 10:53 AM
I was on call last week...it was quiet! It's a good thing. I had two vertigo attacks...one Thursday and one Friday. Wife's in Illinois for 4 weeks so when the attack occurred Friday had to have a neighbor take me to the hospital. Symptoms are changing but so similar to a heart attack or stroke that can't afford to ignore. Saturday a little yardwork and recover from veritigo attack. They sap my strength. Sunday a little mudding work in the shop and mow the yard, paying bills and laundry.

Keith Christopher
07-25-2005, 11:19 AM
on Sat dressed up some poplar for a cabinet I'm making and searched all the sawmills and lumber dealers for the "perfect" curly maple slab, but found nothing. Son went to Boy Scout summer camp so my daughter and I spent the day in the pool on Sun. Was an awesome weekend.

David Wilson
07-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Built a storm window for a friend. 67"X24" w/1 mullion.
used 5/4 D select pine which is fun to work with. Sorry but the wife is out of town and has the digital camera with her so no pics.

Jim O'Dell
07-25-2005, 12:13 PM
No shop time for me again. LOML and I went to Houston on Wed for 3 days of dog showing. I showed our puppy girl 4 times in 3 days (we didn't enter on Sunday) and did well. She won her class 3 of the 4 days, and went best puppy at the Specialty show on Thrusday. Glenna showed our vetran girl at the specialty and she won 1 of the 2 classes she was in. Glenna also showed our other girl in Agility, and came home with a first place in her Open Standard class, and some good runs with minor errors that caused her not to qualify in her Excellent Jumpers class.
The Relaint center is a great venue for a dog show, and there are some wonderfull pictures that we will receive in the next few weeks. I'll try to share when we get them. Jim.

Chris Padilla
07-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Zero shop time...it was a family weekend for us! :) Saturday Mom flew in from Denver to see her grand-daughter's very first ballet/dance performance: The Wizard of Oz. My daughter isn't quite 3 1/2 yet but as a little crow, she danced her butt off on stage! We can hardly wait to get the videos! My aunt and her husband also came up from Monterey to see my daughter's performance and then we all went out to eat at our favorite Japanese steak house in downtown San Jose. Oh, the airline managed to misplace my mother's luggage...it showed up about 24 hours later.

San Jose broke a record for heat Saturday: 96!! :D I know that is nothing compared to the midwest but that is warm for the Bay Area.

Mom is staying for the week and so Sunday we visited the San Francisco Zoo. Talk about a climate change! We about froze the whole time...nothing but rolling fog filled the sky and barely any sunshine poked through. Funny thing though, we all came away with some minor sunburn. We were there from the 10 am opening until the 5 pm closing...a long day of walking around and hoisting the kid up on my shoulders, fences, and rails.

As Scott put it, back to the grinder....

Timo Christ
07-25-2005, 1:30 PM
I figured i could take part this time, too :) as i did get a little shop time..
Saturday i had to repair the car, someone put a big dent in it and some paint flaked off. Ah well.
On Sunday i sharpened the Anant #4 i got for my birthday a few weeks ago. Out of the box it didn't work at all.. the blade just had a rough grind and alot of machining marks on the flat side. I spend a good deal of time flattening it and honing the edge (on sandpaper, freehand). This was my first hand plane sharpening exercise! Also had to tune the chipbreaker. After putting it back together i was able to get quite thin shavings on pine. I was thrilled! The surface is better than any sanding could accomplish, slick and shiny.

John Shuk
07-25-2005, 4:15 PM
My wife and the boys are up in Maine playing on the beach. I worked overtime Saturday. Went and had my dive gear serviced and then bought a new home theater reciever and speakers. Got a thousand dollar Sony for around $450 got a couple hundred off the speaker set too. Spent better part of yesterday snaking walls to install the wire.(Rare Earth magnets are a very good thing!) Back to work today. I may head up to the house in Maine Thursday to join the family. Or stay home and have some cold ones and cigars. Who knows?

Mike Cutler
07-25-2005, 4:23 PM
Got the library door I've been working on glued up, routered out the inset/relief for the stained glass window to set in, I still need to put the pins in though. I'll start making the door casing this week, while I putter about with the final door finishing.
All in all, it was a nice weekend. Hope everyone's was the same.
:)

Matt Meiser
07-25-2005, 4:23 PM
Just got back from a 4 day camping trip in central Ohio with my brother and his wife. Spent the weekend relaxing and visiting. Saturday we went to The Wilds (http://www.thewilds.org/) which is a nature preserve built on an old strip mine. It was very nice, but HOT. The only woodworking related activity was looking at tools at a couple antique stores, and checking out Woodwerks and Rockler in Columbus on the way down. I had been to Woodwerks and the old Columbus Rockler before, and I have to say what they did is very disappointing as Rockler doesn't carry nearly the inventory they used to.

Jay Kilpatrick
07-25-2005, 5:34 PM
Did various errands on Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon rolled around and brought fellow Wood Centralian Andy Wright to my door...seems he was in need of a lathe.

Imagine that! I had one to sell! So we talked for a bit, letting his young'ns play with mine and our 2 LOOLs (Loves of Our Lives) time to swap stories which I'm sure showed poor Andy and I in less than stellar light (at least my wife likes to do that, but only because I do it to her... tit, tat, tit, tat ;~) Seems that Andy hadn't touched a lathe in a couple of decades, so I cut up a length of two by fir and we had at it to make sure he efficiently and effectly cut out designer kindling. Well, Andy was able to lift up the lathe quite easily after I litening his wallet a bit. I consoled my aching heart with the lump of cash firmly inserted where LOML won't search for it! I also threw in a few chunks of wood so he wouldn't have to go searching in the dark after he got home ;~) All and all a fine visit! I hope he and the family will be able to stay for dinner the next time.

After that visit I promptly began skewering the ka-bobs for the next set of guests to arrive...note to self, skewering a couple dozen ka-bobs is not fun; let wife do it the next time! Man...gotta get the short skewers next time! Our dinner guests were Jim and Misty... who are expecting triplets at the end of the year! Yikes. I really thought we'd have a couple others over, but they couldn't make it. Thought I'd be eating ka-bobs for a week, that is until Jim sat down. Now Jim is a good 'ole Texas boy you'd swear was from cajun Lousiana (you know "Cajun Man" from SNL, we'll he sounds just like that). He's probably about 5' 7" and moderate of build. Thing is, this guy has got to be hollow! Went through 8-9 ka-bobs (13" of meat and veggies, heavy on the beef) by himeself! Come to find out, Jim only eats one meal a day... 'nough said. Oh, did I mention the baked potato, corn on the cob, and spinach/artichoke dip too. This man is a serious contender at the dinner table! Well, we talked the night away about current events, Jim's old Army days (Desert Shield/Storm)... seems Jim and his buddies almost had the Platoon Leader (female) sold to the Saudi's; until she interupted the negotiations! Well, we led Jim and Misty to the front door and I cleaned up so as to let the missus have some relaxation time.

Sunday brought church and a visit to Richardson, Tx to see some longtime friends. These folks have 5 kids from 18 months through 13 years (that becomes important later on in the story). They are just moving into town, haven't even taken delivery of their personal goods yet. We took over the old mower and a gas can for them since they didn't have one and I'd just been given a nearly new one from another friend who just moved. Should serve them well for a few seasons. We went to lunch a local BBQ joint they picked out. Great food, big portions of well made fall off the bone beef ribs and other good BBQ meats with fixin's... and one free kids meal for each paying adult (me thinks I know the alternate reason we ate there!) Visited there empty house for a couple of hours, kids running around going nuts, adults talking and trying to keep all the youngun's in line (did I mention they have 5, 4 of which are walkers and talkers!) We said our fairwells and headed back to Saginaw. Both our kids passed out on the trip home, must've had something to do with hours of overstimulation, and running around for the 4 year old. Finished out the night by giving baths and putting them to bed, then I headed out for a couple libations with some co-workers to send-off another co-worker to her new job and home. I say finished out the night after the baths, because the LOML (after being around all the little ones) decided it best that I not be close to her in proximity for any amount of time in the near future 8~0! Hope you all had a fun and memorable weekend.

Oh... and I may have talked to a guy named Gary Sanders about consoling myself, something about needing substantial portions of cast iron for full recovery. The proper medicine won't arrive for approximately 2 weeks, but the treatment may last a lifetime... unless I have to upgrade... err, change medicines ;~)

Vaughn McMillan
07-25-2005, 7:04 PM
Spent enough time in the shop Saturday (general neatening things up and sanding more cutting boards) to prove to myself that 103* is simply too doggone hot to work in the garage. Did a bit of other yard-related stuff Saturday, but as suspected, too hot in the garage means it's also too hot in the yard.

Spent most of Sunday staying in the air-conditioned goodness of the house. Had a fair amount of work-related computer stuff to do, and also did some general system maintenance on my main computer.

- Vaughn

Tony Falotico
07-25-2005, 8:16 PM
Been working on a set of Chris DeHut's Shop Wall Cabinets, Issue #7 of Woodworking at Home. What a neat project, and what great storage. Talk about maximizing storage space. I built four cabinets, each 24" wide. Three are hung, one is completed. This has been a great fun project, helped me hone some basic cabinet building skill and learn new techniques, in addition to some well needed and super efficient storage.

Michael Pfau
07-25-2005, 9:12 PM
Well lets seee, I work Saturday mornings, came home, napped. Watch Norm Abrams, then went to the shop. Started to cut out the leggs for the 4 chairs I am making for the Arts and Crafts table I just completed. Got a good jump on that! Found out I needed a new router bit, so had to quit till Monday when I can go get it. Sunday, church, then yardwork, and some work in the shop. Tuesday night I will cut out the backs of the chairs, and I will be on my way!
PS, very hot here as well...

Bob Yarbrough
07-25-2005, 9:54 PM
Out of the shop, 14 mile canoe paddle on a peaceful Northern Wisconsin river. Slept in Sunday, easy ride home, mowed the lawn.

Jim Hager
07-25-2005, 10:22 PM
I was playing catch up in the shop this weekend after playing with my new (old) lathe on friday and saturday. Sunday I made a small order of raised panel doors from red oak and drilled and set the hinges. The customer was supposed to come pick them up today but didn't. I hope I don't get hung with em.:mad: I hate it when that happens. He'll probably be around tomorrow.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-26-2005, 7:48 AM
I like that storage system you built Tony! I may have to use that in my shop...

Earl Reid
07-26-2005, 11:35 AM
We spent the weekend at Grad party for our Grand Daughter, Lydia. :) :) Presented her with a blanket chest (#4) .
Earl :)

Byron Trantham
07-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Not much shop time. We had friends over for dinner on Saturday and our Son and his family over on Sunday. He got a new Milwaukee circular saw so we played with it for a while. That's about it.

Sam Chambers
07-26-2005, 9:50 PM
Finished the router table extension and installed it on the Unisaw. Started planning my next project - a jewelry box (New Yankee Workshop version) made out of cherry.

When I was picking through my cherry boards Sunday afternoon, my wife came in to tell me that the water was out. Turns out that, earlier in the day, a neighbor of ours was out jogging and noticed a small fountain in our front yard, so he shut off our water at the street. Sure enough, we had that danged plastic pipe and it had sprung a leak about 2 feet past the water meter. It'll cost somewhere around $2,000 to replace the line, and we can't really swing that right now, so we had a plumber repair the line on Monday. (Our house is too old to be part of the class action settlement on the plastic pipe, so we're on teh hook for all of it. :mad: )

Steve Ash
07-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Well as if I hadn't spent enough time at the local American Legion (just finished their bar Friday night) I cleaned up my shop on Saturday and donated my time at the Legion on Sunday to help with their fundraiser toys for tots.