PDA

View Full Version : Old Wood Wizard 12" Lathe

Jess Van Diest
01-21-2015, 1:33 PM
Hi guys:

I'm new around here and was hoping you could give me a few pointers. I found an old Wood Wizard 12" lathe that appears to be in good condition. No motor, no stand, but does have the rest, headstock, tailstock, etc. The guy wants 150 for it. Is that reasonable?

Roger Chandler
01-21-2015, 1:52 PM
Doing a search I came up with this pic ..........is this the lathe you are speaking of?

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/images/16387-B.jpg

If so, $150 seems a bit steep to me without a motor. If you had a motor lying around and could adapt it to the lathe, the $75 might be on the high side of what I would be willing to pay, and that only if it is in good condition.

Other wise, to my estimation, the guy has a good boat anchor, or could sell it for scrap metal. Just my opinion, as this is very old and outdated, and is mainly made for spindle work, not bowls or forms. What it the spindle thread on it? If it is not a standard size, then you will have much difficulty trying to find chucks and other accessories for it, and also does it have a morse taper spindle and tailstock quill? If not, I would run fast!

Jess Van Diest
01-21-2015, 2:03 PM
Yes that looks like the same one.

Jess Van Diest
01-21-2015, 2:03 PM
The rest is quite a bit longer than that one though. The old info I found says it should have a Morse No.2. I'm a total green horn when it comes to lathes, but I do like old iron a lot. I would mind turning a bowl, but I figured I'd mainly use it for spindles, tool handles, and such for the time being.

Roger Chandler
01-21-2015, 2:15 PM
The rest is quite a bit longer than that one though. The old info I found says it should have a Morse No.2. I'm a total green horn when it comes to lathes, but I do like old iron a lot. I would mind turning a bowl, but I figured I'd mainly use it for spindles, tool handles, and such for the time being.

If you are willing to invest the time and money to put a motor, belt and possibly bearings on it, then go for it. To me it seems a bit pricey for what you are getting, but if it is in good shape, bearings and pulleys,and the quill operates well, then maybe, if what you intend to do is table legs, tool handles and such.

Good luck!

Jess Van Diest
01-21-2015, 2:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I'll see what he'll take for it. Not going to overpay.

Marvin Hasenak
01-21-2015, 6:31 PM
A friend of mine has one, she has had it since she was a child, she also has a VB36. The WW has many an hour on it, for it's design it is a good lathe, but $150 without a motor is a little high. Apparently they are considered sort of collectable, I have seen them sell on eBay for around a $125. Myself, I have several older lathes that are about the same that I have picked up over the years but my limit is about a $100 for the cast iron lathes like this one. They all work, but you really have to know what you are doing, they are not a Jet mini or any other mini that are currently being made. There are no accessories available, unless you have access to a machine shop to make your own.

As to value for you, what do you want to turn will determine if you can get any good use out of it. These lathes are pretty limited in their uses, bowls are a pain without a chuck, and no chuck will fit it. If you want to make fishing lures this one will get the job done. Tell us your goals, so we can help you decide.

cody michael
01-22-2015, 9:36 AM
for comparison I bought http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x-33-3-8-eighth-inch-wood-lathe-with-reversible-head-34706.html I think I paid about 175$ they have 20-25% off coupons all the time, that is for a working lathe, with warranty, motor, adjustable speed. I bought mine when I was just started, I have gave it some pretty serious abuse and it is still going strong. In my opinion it is a very hard value to beat. I have been told this is a direct clone of the jet and delta lathes that look just like it, you can order a jet lathe part and put it on this lathe no issues.