PDA

View Full Version : Accu-miter vs Incra V1000 Miter Gauges

Michael Zerance
01-21-2015, 10:27 AM
I recently purchased a table saw which came with an Incra v1000 miter gauge, an Accu-miter miter gauge, and a Jointech SmartMiter sled. The sled is nice; I am definitely keeping it and it will get a lot of use. I have never heard of the Accu-miter before but it seems well built, accurate, and solid. It has an adjustable stop with a micro-positioner and an extendable fence. The Incra seems to be the "go to" miter gauge for most woodworkers.

In the past, I just built quick and dirty cross cut sleds for projects as needed, then dismantled them when I was done. I usually use the miter saw for most cross cuts.

I would like to recoup some of the money that I spent on the saw and was looking for advice on which miter gauges (if any) to keep and which ones to put up for sale.

Bill White
01-21-2015, 10:35 AM
I took a stab at buying miter gauges. After looking at a bunch, and all makers stated that theirs was "the best", I settled on the Incra 1000SE. I have found it to be a good investment, and I highly recommend it.
I'm not familiar with the Jointech product.
Bill

Prashun Patel
01-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Incra is best for me, but it requires a hex screwdriver to adjust, and there's a lot of knobs and thumbscrews to adjust. It's very accurate and flexible in terms of positioning and auxiliary fences, but that comes with a price of fiddliness; it's not for everyone.

One downside of the Incra is that the gauge is longer than other miter gauges. This means cutting wider stock requires more of the gauge to overhang the tablesaw. I didn't realize this was an issue until a recent FWW article.

I would use them for a while and decide for yourself. Then sell the unused one to me or use it on your bandsaw.

Patrick Curry
01-21-2015, 11:51 AM
If the Accu-miter suits your needs it would seem like selling the Incra would be the right choice. I suspect the Incra would sell for more...name recognition.

Ray Newman
01-21-2015, 12:51 PM
Easy answer: keep the one you feel most comfortable with after making sample test cuts with each, turn the head to various angles to determine accuracy and repeatability to return to 90, accuracy of measuring scale on extension fence, weight, and ease of other adjustments, etc.

As an aside, years ago, I purchase a JDS miter gauge, worked it for awhile, then sold it off to a Fellow Woodworker as it just did not feel right/comfortable to me. After tightening up the bar with Nylon plugs, I returned to utilizing the OEM miter gauge with a sacrificial fence and sweep to move the cut offs away from the blade. A few years ago, I received the Incra 1000SE as a Christmas gift and have not looked back.

James Nugnes
01-21-2015, 1:19 PM
I have to get a new miter gauge for my latest bandsaw acquisition because the old Miter won't fit and the new bandsaw is more accurate as a cutting tool than the old.

Not to hijack the thread but given the obvious accuracy issues when using even a good bandsaw for miter cuts of all the Incra options out there which one makes the most sense if exclusively used with a bandsaw? Is a V120 as far as one should go? Does a Miter1000 in any form, straight up or the SE or the HD have anything to offer if used with a bandsaw? I am totally willing to live with the opinion that a V120 is as far as one should go if that is the right answer. If a version of a 1000 does have something to offer, I am willing to spend the money and live with that decision as well.

Ray Newman
01-21-2015, 2:31 PM
James N: will this comparison chart help??

www.incra.com/product_miter_chart.htm (http://www.incra.com/product_miter_chart.htm)

James Nugnes
01-21-2015, 3:06 PM
Thanks very much Ray. I might be missing something but it sort of looks like a V120 is as far as I should go.