PDA

View Full Version : Etching Tinted Aircraft Acrylic

Jodi Sands
01-20-2015, 5:19 PM
Hi all!

Does anyone have any experience etching on Aircraft Acrylic?? I have a client/friend that has asked me to etch some of his military patches on the windshield of his Harley. It's a dark tinted piece and I'm assuming I'll have to do it from the front at it won't be visible through it. It's not cast acrylic. I'm just looking for opinions.

Thank you!

Jodi

Rich Harman
01-20-2015, 5:32 PM
Cee Bailey's list their "aircraft grade acrylic" windshields as "laser engraved" so that is encouraging.

According to a quick Google search, aircraft grade acrylic is manufactured according to L-P-391D, which states that it is cast, not extruded.

Scott Shepherd
01-20-2015, 5:44 PM
I engraved a number of Harley windscreens a couple years ago, they were cast acrylic. I have no idea who made them, but I made a fixture and screwed them flat to a board (since they are curved), engraved them, and removed from the fixture. Worked really well.

Mark Sipes
01-20-2015, 8:30 PM
I have laser engraved on actual aircraft passenger windows that were given out to project managers from a plane being refurbished by Boeing for an Australian company. They engraved very clean.

Bert Kemp
01-20-2015, 11:30 PM
I Could be wrong but I think their made of lexan which is a polycarbonate

Mark Sipes
01-21-2015, 1:22 AM
Bert I hate to deflate your reply.......but they were acrylic Plexi of some make. the actual windows are 3 ply. I was only engraving 1 curved panel. I have attempted to "melt/burn" lexan before. Lexan can be diamond engraved with very good results. Lexan is very malleable .

Mike Null
01-21-2015, 7:18 AM
I have engraved Lexan with good results. Just don't try to cut it with the laser.

Jodi Sands
01-21-2015, 8:24 AM
Bert I hate to deflate your reply.......but they were acrylic Plexi of some make. the actual windows are 3 ply. I was only engraving 1 curved panel. I have attempted to "melt/burn" lexan before. Lexan can be diamond engraved with very good results. Lexan is very malleable .

Mark, I see what you did there!! LOL

I think I'll test a tiny spot at the bottom edge where the fastener holes are and see if it works from the back. I'm still thinking I'll need to do it on the front because of the color. I CAN see through it, it's just a very dark tint.

I'm trying to get a photo to attach a photo of it but i'm having issues getting it to upload.