PDA

View Full Version : Drywall - Non-Temperature Controlled Shop

Brye Goodspeed
01-20-2015, 3:24 PM
My shop is not temperature controlled, I am considering finishing the interior.

Is standard drywall a good choice, should I go blue due to temperature and moisture fluctuations?

Should I stay away of drywall and consider another option?

Brian Henderson
01-20-2015, 5:52 PM
It all depends. How cold does it get in your shop? Does it get wet? My shop isn't temperature controlled either and I finished the inside with drywall and insulation, but it never gets damp and the lowest it ever gets is in the 40s. If you're worried, there are always moisture resistant drywall options, although they are more expensive. If you're afraid of moisture wicking up from the concrete floor, you could just use green board on the bottom row and regular above.

Art Mann
01-20-2015, 7:23 PM
I don't think drywall is necessarily a bad solution for you, but I am going to suggest a possible alternative that has some advantages. I finished the inside of my shop with 1/2" exterior hardboard siding. Unlike T1-11 plywood, it is nicely finished and primed for paint. It looks like random width vertical planks. The advantages for me were as follows. (1) I hate finishing drywall with all the mudding, taping and sanding required. (2) The hardboard is not as heavy and it is stiffer and easier to handle. I put part of it up by myself with just a pneumatic nail gun. (3) The finished wall will support useful loads with just screws. No hunting for studs or drywall expansion fasteners required - within reason. (4) It isn't easy to punch a hole in it like drywall is. (5) I think it looks a little better than just plain old drywall.

The material is probably more expensive per sheet than drywall, but I actually saved money. If I had used drywall, I would have hired someone else to put it up.

Jim Andrew
01-20-2015, 8:27 PM
I used just regular old sheetrock wallboard on my shop walls. Laid the sheets horizontal, and used screws and glue. For the ceiling, I got a used suspended ceiling when my bank was doing a remodel. Helped to take it down, brought it home and put it up. Had quite a bit extra, but a friend wanted to put it in his basement, so that worked out well.

Jason Currah
01-20-2015, 8:35 PM
i used drywall, mind you mine is heated to 55 f . me and a buddy put up 30 sheets in a day taped and finished in 2 more, painted gloss white and looks great.
I used alum. soffit for the ceiling though