PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Base for Grizzly G0634XP 12" J/P

Frank Drackman
01-20-2015, 2:48 PM
Looking for mobile base recommendations for a Grizzly G0634XP 12" Jointer/Planer. I spoke to Grizzly customer service and they didn't have a listing for one that fits. I expect that I can find an aftermarket heavy duty base to fit but thought that I would check Creek members before I reinvent the wheel

As always, thanks for your help - Frank

Frank Drackman
01-21-2015, 11:50 AM
I order the Shop Fox Heavy Duty Universal mobile base. I will post feedback after I get it setup.

Curt Harms
01-22-2015, 8:56 AM
I made my own mobile base. A concern I had was what to grab to move the machine. The most likely 'handles' would be the jointer tables. There's lots of threads here about jointer tables being out of adjustment on combo machines. Pushing and pulling on the tables didn't seem like it would help with that issue , so I came up with a detachable handle mechanism. The rear wheels don't swivel so it doesn't pivot but works for my application. If you want, you could probably come up with some sort of detachable 'tow bar' mechanism. Here's what I came up with.

Rod Sheridan
01-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Hi Frank, in my opinion the semi live skid design is the best base for these machines.

Here's a link to a thread on this.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?88687-Hammer-A3-31-Mobile-Base&highlight=hammer+a3-31+mobile+base

Alternatively you can simply drill two holes in the cabinet, put an axle and wheels on one end and a tow bracket for a handle on the other end and have a great system, far superior to casters.

Regards, Rod.

jonathan eagle
01-22-2015, 6:25 PM
I order the Shop Fox Heavy Duty Universal mobile base. I will post feedback after I get it setup.

I have this base on my 634xp. Works great.
It has two fixed casters and two swivels.
I don't move it far. Out from the wall a bit to access longer boards. I just go forward, backward, like so. So I can't comment on if one needs to move it across a room.
Jonathan