PDA

View Full Version : Hi from up North

Ryan Bodnarchuk
01-20-2015, 12:17 PM
Hi everyone,

I am another newbie here. first post, did not really see an intro section.

I am new here and new to woodworking too. Took an interest in the last year and have picked a few tools recently and so far I have built almost nothing other than a moveable table saw stand. I like ot build stuff and have done all my own work on basement finishing, deck building and in general pretty handy. Thought I would try my hand at working with something other than construction 2x4's :). If I can make stuff for the house and maybe a chair or two to start with to sell and someone actually buys it... great. time will tell.

Lots of my inquiries in the google brings to posts here, so I thought I would join up and check it all out. Seems to be a wealth of information here and well moderated ( ie: i don't see a lot of crap )

I am up in Edmonton, Alberta. I know most of you are probably in the US, but any one in my area, please send me a PM. I'd like to see and learn where the good "places" are to get stuff up here.

I am trying to get up to speed on a lot of things woodworking and I have a lot to learn.

Michael Weber
01-20-2015, 12:33 PM
Welcome Ryan to the slippery slop and what is undoubtedly the best and most focused woodworking forum (thanks moderators) on the web. You will learn a lot. Sounds like you have all the skills necessary.

Rod Sheridan
01-20-2015, 12:38 PM
Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum............Rod.

Jim Koepke
01-20-2015, 1:04 PM
Howdy Ryan and welcome to the Creek.

I am up in Edmonton, Alberta. I know most of you are probably in the US, but any one in my area, please send me a PM. I'd like to see and learn where the good "places" are to get stuff up here.

Have you heard of Lee Valley? They make some of the best and most innovative tools in North America and are located in Canada. Some of my relatives live in the Winnipeg area.

Most of my posting is done in the Neanderthal Haven section of the Creek. It is mostly hand tool work even though many of us use some power to get us through a project.

For the record, most of my projects have used 'construction' lumber or other cheap cuts from the big box stores, aka 'the borg'.

jtk

Ryan Bodnarchuk
01-20-2015, 3:52 PM
Hey Jim, Yes, I really like LeeValley and there is one here only 15 minutes from my house. If I want a quality tool, I usually go there.

I browse the local classifieds too and look for stuff there too, I picked up 4 hand planes that way and started to re-condition them. got a #6 and #4 older stanleys and recently a couple Anants in rough shape that I wanted to tackle, but the price was right.

Dennis Peacock
01-20-2015, 4:12 PM
Hello Ryan..!!!
Welcome to The Creek. Lots of good people around here and enjoy the forum. Ask questions as often as you wish and share what you learn for others to learn from as well.

Frederick Skelly
01-20-2015, 7:16 PM
Welcome Ryan. Glad to have you with us!
Fred

Don Morris
01-20-2015, 7:35 PM
Welcome Ryan,

Yes, the Creek is the place for woodworkers and especially new ones with questions. There are very knowledgeable people on the creek who are willing to share their experiences and knowledge. You won't find a better place than SMC.

Jebediah Eckert
01-20-2015, 7:41 PM
15 minutes from Lee Valley, doesn't get much better then that!