PDA

View Full Version : Sjoberg bench question

Jebediah Eckert
01-19-2015, 8:54 PM
Hello-

i picked up this bench and have a few questions I can't seem to answer. I tried on the net but can't find much info on the bench at all. It is a 1800bs/2200bs/2400bs, not sure which. The top is 64" wide and 24" deep. The top is 3 1/2" thick.

Does anybody know what the slots are on th right leg? I would guess support for a long piece using the face vise, but what would go in that slot? Also what about the round hole in front of the face vise on the top surface of the bench? I guess for a holdfast but it seems to be an odd size. The hole is 1.29" or 33 mm diameter. It is also sleeved with a metal ring. I would like to get a holdfast but I'm not sure what size or if that's the correct use for it. Help

Thanks

Ben Kiefer
01-19-2015, 9:59 PM
The slots AND the metal-line hole are for the holdfasts that are sold with the bench. Sjoberg benches use a holdfast with a flat bar, rather than a round rod.

Jebediah Eckert
01-19-2015, 10:12 PM
Thanks. Any idea where I would get them? I just did a search and can only find a holdfast with an adjustable arm, but it's not flat and doesn't look like it could possibly fit in slot. Do they call it something else?

Jim Koepke
01-20-2015, 1:02 AM
You might try one of their catalogs:

http://www.sjobergs.se/en/catalogue/

jtk

Jebediah Eckert
01-20-2015, 7:36 AM
Thanks Jim-

I tried the Sjoberg site and also emailed them. No luck. None of those catalogues have my bench or anything thet would fit in those legs slots. The holdfasts they show are are too small for the hole in mine I'm pretty sure. All the newer benches have the different style tail vise and round holes for dogs.

Jim Ritter
01-20-2015, 8:03 AM
I'm pretty sure it was for a screw type holdfast with a flat bar. The bar kept the screw upright. I've got some old catalogs, I'll take a look when I get to the shop.
jim

glenn bradley
01-20-2015, 8:48 AM
Haven't seen the slotted board-jack / holddown holes for awhile but, I don't rigorously shop benches. If all else fails it would be easy enough to mill some tenon stock, plug the holes and drill your own round ones.

Daniel Rode
01-20-2015, 10:23 AM
I have the clamp with the flat bar. I don't use it much. It goes into 2 metal lined holes in my top and (if you buy or make slotted legs) into the legs. It works OK, but I'd have been happier without the large holes in my bench. A standard holdfast in the 3/4" dog holes is more versatile. Same for holdfasts in the legs.

Perhaps you can get a set of normal holdfasts and drill some 3/4" holes to suit.

Jim Koepke
01-20-2015, 12:52 PM
I will try to remember to take some pictures today and post them later so you have a better idea of what the Sjoberg clamp is.

jtk

John Coloccia
01-20-2015, 1:00 PM
How old is that bench? It doesn't strike me as any Sjobergs I've ever seen. I'm not doubting it...I'm just wondering when they were making them like that.

Jebediah Eckert
01-20-2015, 1:12 PM
Thanks for the input so far. I think the bench is about 15 years old or so? If you google the model 1800 bs you can find them for sale on a site, I think in England for about 800 pounds (whatever that converts to). Also they have the premade cabinets that go underneath. When you click on the products for more info it just says the model is no longer available and directs you to the Elite line they sell. Tried calling and emailing Sjoberg with zero success so far. Frustrating

Jim Koepke
01-20-2015, 1:14 PM
How old is that bench? It doesn't strike me as any Sjobergs I've ever seen. I'm not doubting it...I'm just wondering when they were making them like that.

Maybe the telephone underneath is a clue? :D

jtk

Jebediah Eckert
01-20-2015, 1:32 PM
Good point. Old bench, old phone, maybe I should use a newer one to call Sweeden.

John Coloccia
01-20-2015, 1:32 PM
Thanks for the input so far. I think the bench is about 15 years old or so? If you google the model 1800 bs you can find them for sale on a site, I think in England for about 800 pounds (whatever that converts to). Also they have the premade cabinets that go underneath. When you click on the products for more info it just says the model is no longer available and directs you to the Elite line they sell. Tried calling and emailing Sjoberg with zero success so far. Frustrating

When did you e-mail them. Give them a couple of days. They're overseas and are on a different schedule than we are. When I had a problem, they e-mailed me back in a couple of days and resolved it.

glenn bradley
01-20-2015, 1:55 PM
Maybe the telephone underneath is a clue? :D

jtk

Coffee on the monitor :D:D:D

Jebediah Eckert
01-20-2015, 2:06 PM
Thanks John. I tried about a month ago when I started this adventure, nothing. Tried again this morning so I will wait a few days. Will figure it out eventually.

John Stankus
01-20-2015, 6:01 PM
Here are some links to the Sjobergs ST98 holdfast which sounds like the application described

http://www.amazon.com/Sjobergs-ST98-Workbench-Hold-Fast/dp/B0000223QQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.indiacatalog.com/tools4/B0000223QQ.html

Jebediah Eckert
01-20-2015, 7:10 PM
Ben you are correct I guess. I have never seen those before with the flat bars.

John, thank you that is it. It won't get me one but at least I know what I'm looking for. Both of those links you gave me a "unavailable" for purchase. I have no idea how you found them because I "X'ed" out and tried to search in Amazon exactly how it was listed. No results found. Just tried Ebay, nothing, few places in England have them listed but are "unavailable" for purchase.

Jim Koepke
01-20-2015, 8:29 PM
The images look similar to mine:

For other holding purposes I have made a dog or two for the holes:

They are useful at times when planing a board atop the bench to keep it from moving sideways. There is an apron on the end of my bench. A couple of clamps are used to hold a piece of scrap to act as a stop.

jtk

Jebediah Eckert
01-20-2015, 9:17 PM
Yup, that's it. Thanks Jim. Finding one for sale is another issue in itself.

Glenn, plugging the holes and redrilling a great suggestion if can't get one.

Jebediah Eckert
01-25-2015, 8:42 PM
Well thanks for the help. Sjoberg got back to me and offers to ship one through and importer then to me. Not cheap but it would work. Anyone else who may search this forum in the future it's a 33361 Holdfast made by Sjoberg. Lucky for me another SMC member PMed me and sent me one! Great guy. Got it yesterday and it works great.