PDA

View Full Version : Bosch JS 260 jigsaw??

Jerry Olexa
01-19-2015, 4:06 PM
I have had a Bosch 1587 AVS jigsaw for many years and very pleased with its performance (Although this older blade changing system can be challenging). It's by far the best jigsaw I've ever owned or used. Now, I'n needing a 2nd jigsaw for the cabin for very occassional use. Was surprised to see on Amazon 4 or 5 different Bosch jigsaw models including the JS 260 with retail of about $60 shipped!! This price point surprised me. I want to be sure it is Bosch quality as compared to the $150 model # JS470E for example..Went online and I can't see any major differences... Have any of you had experience with this saw...If OK, it'd be perfect for my "2nd" cabin needs..anxious to hear your thoughts before I plunge in..Thanks,

Greg R Bradley
01-19-2015, 10:29 PM
They have changed enough that it is hard to compare them. Mostly they have the name Bosch in common. The 1587 was very good in quality but mediocre in blade guiding, as most Jig Saws are. The blade changing left lots to be desired. The 1590/1591 was the same quality with both of those problems solved.

The JS260 is cheap Chinese junk without decent blade guiding system. The JS 470 is better Chinese junk. The JS 572 is the replacement for the 1590/1591 with a better case "system" and a much higher price.

Best solution is to find a used 1587 for the cabin. Even better, find a 1590/1591 and use your existing saw for the cabin. 1587 is ultra reliable with some operational issues. 1590/1591 were fabulous for the price. Hard to like Bosch's new Jig Saws unless you are willing to step up to the JS572 at which point the Festools start to compete well.

Bill Orbine
01-19-2015, 10:51 PM
They have changed enough that it is hard to compare them. Mostly they have the name Bosch in common. The 1587 was very good in quality but mediocre in blade guiding, as most Jig Saws are. The blade changing left lots to be desired. The 1590/1591 was the same quality with both of those problems solved.

The JS260 is cheap Chinese junk without decent blade guiding system. The JS 470 is better Chinese junk. The JS 572 is the replacement for the 1590/1591 with a better case "system" and a much higher price.

Best solution is to find a used 1587 for the cabin. Even better, find a 1590/1591 and use your existing saw for the cabin. 1587 is ultra reliable with some operational issues. 1590/1591 were fabulous for the price. Hard to like Bosch's new Jig Saws unless you are willing to step up to the JS572 at which point the Festools start to compete well.

Better Chinese Junk.......I've got to remember that!

john lawson
01-20-2015, 8:25 AM

I just bought a used 1590 off ebay for about $100 shipped. It replaced my old 1587. It is a great tool. If you have time check craigslist and ebay, you'll be very happy

Jerry Olexa
01-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Greg, thank you...This is exactly type detailed info I was hoping for..The website makes them all look perfect....i will follow your advice and will try to get a used 1587 or a 1590/91 (harder to find)...I do like that 1587 I now have in spite of the blade changing .Progress (so called) often produces a lesser quality product..This is similar to the Stanley/Bailey handplanes. Thank you again for your valued summary..I will use it as my guidance as I pursue another Bosch jigsaw...Sometimes, older is better,

Jerry Olexa
01-20-2015, 10:20 AM
I just bought a used 1590 off ebay for about $100 shipped. It replaced my old 1587. It is a great tool. If you have time check craigslist and ebay, you'll be very happy

Good tip, JOHN.. A 1590 would be perfect...I'll look into

Jerry Olexa
01-20-2015, 11:42 AM
WOW...Explored Ebay.....Many 1587s all prices..One 1590 which I'll watch..And even some 1581 and 1582s?? And a 4200? Choices are many and prices all over the place..I'll let you know..I'm not familiar with those older models...thanks

glenn bradley
01-20-2015, 12:01 PM
Greg, thank you...This is exactly type detailed info I was hoping for..

He's like that. Kinda spooky growing up. Seems like he remembers almost everything he reads/sees. One thing I have learned, if Greg states something as a fact (as opposed to giving his opinion) he's bound to be right ;-)

As a 1591 owner I agree with the plan to take the old faithful 1587 to the cabin and pick up a 159X.

Jerry Olexa
01-20-2015, 3:06 PM
Is the 1581vs worth considering vs. the newer models? Just had one offered to me at attractive price ($35) but wonder if these pre-1587 models should be in mix...I love my trusty 1587...Sounds like this would be one model before that? Tell me your thoughts...Thanks, jerry

Cary Falk
01-20-2015, 9:39 PM
I bought a 1590 on ebay and 1 from a pawn shop for less than $100 each. I see them on craigslist from time to time. I am happy with my purchases. The new 400 and 500 models are made in Switzerland, the other ones are made in China. I don't have any experience with the new models.

Greg R Bradley
01-21-2015, 8:48 PM
Is the 1581vs worth considering vs. the newer models? Just had one offered to me at attractive price ($35) but wonder if these pre-1587 models should be in mix...I love my trusty 1587...Sounds like this would be one model before that? Tell me your thoughts...Thanks, jerry
I had a 1581 for 15+ years before I upgraded to a 1590. It looks about like a 1587 but I never had a 1587 so I can't be sure. It was built like a tank and completely reliable. I can tell you the 1590 was a big improvement, mostly in the blade guiding and blade changing mechanism. All of these seem to very solid and reliable and give you the feeling you could use them for a hammer and they would still work. They all have all metal gear mechanisms. It sounds like your solutions if it isn't completely beat to death.

Tom M King
01-21-2015, 9:20 PM
I have three Bosch jigsaws in the "Jigsaw" toolbox. The oldest is one I bought in the '70s I think. It was a real breakthough in jigsaw design at the time. It has a screw down in a deep hole that you need a narrow screwdriver to loosen, and tighten a screw to change a blade. It still runs fine. The screw was lost when my tools were on shelves in a step van (before I outgrew it), and no screw to be found in the town I was working in, so I bought whatever model that has the twist lock on top to change the blade. I never liked that one as much as the old one, but it did the job for a good while, until I was off somewhere else a long ways from home, needed one, and bought the 1590. I don't know why anyone needs a jigsaw to be any "better" than the 1590.

Jerry Olexa
01-21-2015, 10:20 PM
Sounds like most of you love your BOSCH jig saws (as I do) and the 1590 seems to be the "best bang for the buck"....I'm continuing my search...Haven't heard a bad word by anyone about these saws....

Jerry Olexa
02-08-2015, 2:18 PM
Further follow up..In a local Menards store today, saw a BOSCH jigsaw JS365 on "advertised special" for $99..Also made in China...Amazon has 2 versions of the 365, one for $99, the other for $194 !? I'm continuing my 1590 pursuit but this is interesting. Another model made in China vs. Switzerland..FYI

john lawson
02-08-2015, 3:45 PM
Do a completed search on Ebay, looks like there have been at least a dozen or so 1590s that have sold over the last 60 days, most at less than $100, some a little more complete with case. Good luck

Jerry Olexa
02-08-2015, 5:25 PM
John, I've been watching Ebay and bid on several 1590s. Lost one by one dollar (probably my inexperience with bidding process) and another by last minute bid $20 over mine..Currently, there are none available but plenty of 1587s. Good tip though.Thanks.

john lawson
02-08-2015, 9:18 PM
You might want to use a sniping site. I use one called Esnipe. If you are not familiar with this you just type in the ebay number and the price you are willing to pay, then they enter the highest bid it takes to win the auction 6 seconds before the auction ends. It does not enter your highest price, only the highest needed to win up to the number you allow. It works very well. I think it costs like 1% of the total. If you are like me it takes the drama out and you avoid the urge to bid too high, but you never miss out. I got mine for around 85 and it works very well, I love it.

Oh, forgot to mention, it has a feature that allows you set up multiple bids on the the same item, say there are 6 different auctions. You can set it to bid on all of them until you win one, then it cancels the others so you wont buy two or more.

Jerry Olexa
02-09-2015, 9:01 AM
John, good tip....I'll look into..
Im new to the Ebay bidding process but can't see how that would differ from the MaxBid system built into EBay? Obviously, my inexperience is showing...Thanks

Jerry Olexa
02-18-2015, 11:24 AM
Due to the courtesy of SMCreeker Jack Lemley, a Bosch 1590 now resides in my shop..Did some test cuts this morning and it cuts true and accurate...Thanks guys for steering me right. The 1587 may end up at cabin.:).Thanks again.

ken masoumi
02-18-2015, 7:23 PM
I wish I could find a JS1590 locally,there are 4 for sale on ebay canada but all have that dreaded Global shipping program that jacks up the price too high for most Canadian buyers.
I'm glad you got a good deal buying it from a member.

Jerry Olexa
02-18-2015, 7:55 PM
I wish I could find a JS1590 locally,there are 4 for sale on ebay canada but all have that dreaded Global shipping program that jacks up the price too high for most Canadian buyers.
I'm glad you got a good deal buying it from a member.

It is a great saw!!!!

Curt Harms
02-19-2015, 8:46 AM

I bought a 1587 from a factory service center a few years ago. True about blade guide though I haven't had issues in limited use. I learned one trick about the blade locking mechanism. When I insert a blade, I twist then pull down before tightening. That seems to help. It may be in the manual but you know men and directions ...............:o

Jim Dwight
02-19-2015, 11:43 AM
My Bosch is the barrel grip equivalent of your 1587 and I haven't used the newer models. I've been doing a bunch of home renovation and started using my Ryobi cordless jig saw just because I had the other cordless tools out and no cord is a nice thing. It has a very simple blade change too (you lift a lever and the blade falls out). Then I was doing something in the shop and went and got my Bosch. I have the cast aluminum table for it and occasionally use it like a scroll saw. When I first got it, I used it to cut 4x4 PT posts. Anyway, the feel of the Bosch was so different than the Ryobi I went back to the plug in Bosch. The Bosch is quiet like a sewing machine and cuts straight and true. The blade change is not as easy as the Ryobi but not difficult. Now if I could find a cordless model as smooth as the Bosch..... But I don't want to get into another set of batteries and chargers either.

For something cheap that will work, the Ryobi is fine. I will still use it for tasks that aren't too demanding. But when I really have work to do, I will find the Bosch.