PDA

View Full Version : Connection to the inlet of the Super Dust Deputy

Ned Everitt
01-19-2015, 1:18 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the great info on this site, first time poster here. It's been a big help as I"m getting started on my dust collection set-up for my small basement shop. I'm planning to use the 2 HP Harbor Freight dust collector, modified with a super dust deputy, and venting outside.

For ducting, I'm planning to run 4" sheet metal ducting to blast gates, and 4" flex tubing from there to the tools. I only have a table saw and miter saw at this point, so it's a pretty short distance from the DC to my tools.

My question has to do with the connection to the 5" inlet on the SDD. I want to put a 5" x 4" x 4" "Y" from Kencraft's directly onto the SDD, with the 5" side of the "Y" being crimped to allow the rest of my ducting to have the crimped end towards the DC. In reading the about the SDD, it looks like they recommend slipping a 5" x 4" reducer over the inlet.

Can anyone tell me if a 5" crimped sheetmetal fitting will fit inside the 5" inlet on the SDD?

Thanks for the assistance.

Ned

Mike Chalmers
01-19-2015, 5:16 PM
Mine came with a 5" female coupler. The crimped end fits in the SDD.

Ned Everitt
01-19-2015, 5:53 PM
Cool. Thanks for the confirmation.

Jon Nuckles
01-19-2015, 7:16 PM
I am currently working on hooking up the Super Dust Deputy to a Delta dust collector. I bought two sheet metal reducers from Home Depot. The 6-5 reducer fit the 6" exit at the top of the SDD with some judicious crimping, but the 5-4 reducer on the inlet side is just too tight to fit well. Oneida sells reducers to fit, but the phone rep says it takes them a week to ship, plus the delivery time. According to the Oneida website, the 5-4 reducer they sell for the regular size SDD fits outside the SDD inlet port. All other connections, including the inlet for the large SDD must be crimped. I also had plastic reducers on hand, but none of them fit the SDD. Frustrating.

Ned Everitt
01-19-2015, 8:14 PM
Jon, sorry to hear about your troubles. Did your SDD come with a 5" female coupler like Mike mentioned? When I ordered my SDD today, I didn't see that mentioned anywhere in their literature. I did order their 6" adapter for the exit, but am still trying to figure out the inlet side. I was hoping a crimped 5" would slip inside. Was your home depot reducer crimped on the 5" side?

Jon Nuckles
01-19-2015, 11:25 PM
Ned, I wanted to save shipping costs, so I drove to the nearest Woodcraft and picked up the super dust deputy. They didn't have the reducers that Oneida sells and none of Woodcraft's limited stock of fittings worked with the SDD. I bought an inexpensive crimping tool to crimp the fittings I bought at Home Depot. I might be able to force the fitting onto the inlet side, but I wish I had purchased the Oneida fitting before beginning my modifications. Now I am without a dust collector until I get the mods done, so I really can't wait up to two weeks for a part. If you look through Oneida's website carefully, they do a good job of explaining what parts to order for your model.

Ole Anderson
01-20-2015, 8:41 AM
I wouldn't suggest choking a 2 hp collector with 4" pipe. Stick with 5" as far as possible, then reduce to 4" for your flex.
WD-40 and duct tape: if it's too tight use WD-40, if it's too sloppy, use duct tape!:D

Ned Everitt
01-20-2015, 5:59 PM
I called Oneida today, and the sales guy said a 5" crimped sheetmetal duct should fit into the ID of the SDD inlet. If for some reason it won't, he suggested using the rubber sleeve with hose clamps on each side that is used to join sewer lines. I will find out if it fits next week when my SDD arrives.

Jon Nuckles
01-20-2015, 8:47 PM
I took my SDD to Home Depot and Menard's to try to find fittings and did not find any of the rubber sewer pipe connectors that seemed like a close fit. I don't have much familiarity with them, though, so maybe they have more range than I am aware of. I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Ian Scofield
01-20-2015, 10:15 PM
I had the hardest time getting things to attach to the dust deputy. They make the diameter's 1/16" bigger than all the big box stores to force you to buy their adapters....cool. I had to take the next size up (6" for the 5" and 7" for the 6") and cut them to make them fit if that makes sense. So I shorten the reducer so I can find the middle ground between the sizes so it fit. Sealed with the x-treme duct work tape and it works. Definitely said some words throughout the process though. Take some calipers to the store with you and measure the connectors so you can tell if it will fit or not.

Jason Hanko
01-20-2015, 11:13 PM
I dont have a SDD, but have you tried one of these? They come in lots of sizes, and work really well for adapting things to other things that juuuust dont quite fit. Also - super cheap.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings/Fernco/N-5yc1vZbqpfZ4hs

Ned Everitt
01-20-2015, 11:45 PM
Fernco, that's exactly what the Oneida sales guy suggested. Applying some silicone may help it slide on easier too.

Jon Nuckles
01-22-2015, 8:59 AM
I bought the 4 x 4 fernco rubber sleeve yesterday, but it doesn't come close to fitting. The 6x6 is way too big, and Home Depot doesn't stock 5x5. I'm planning to try a plumbing supply store today.

Jon Nuckles
01-27-2015, 3:24 PM
This is a bit belated, but I did get the Fernco rubber fitting for 5 inch plastic to 5 inch plastic connections, though I had to go to two plumbing supply houses before finding one that stocks them. It was a bit loose on the Super Dust Deputy inlet port at first, but the hose clamp snugged it down nicely. If you don't buy Oneida's fitting, this one will work. It cost about $17.

Steve Wurster
04-19-2016, 8:30 PM
This is a bit belated, but I did get the Fernco rubber fitting for 5 inch plastic to 5 inch plastic connections, though I had to go to two plumbing supply houses before finding one that stocks them. It was a bit loose on the Super Dust Deputy inlet port at first, but the hose clamp snugged it down nicely. If you don't buy Oneida's fitting, this one will work. It cost about $17.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread. Jon, do you know if you used the Fernco 1056-55 rubber fitting, or was it a different model?

Thanks,
Steve

Jon Nuckles
04-21-2016, 3:23 PM
Steve,

Sorry for the delayed response, but I have not been on the creek in a few days. I don't know the model number and I am not at my shop to look at it. I just asked for the Fernco 5" to 5" at the plumbing supply house and took what they gave me. If you need the model and if it is written on the fitting, I will likely get to the shop this weekend and can check for you.

Jon

Steve Wurster
04-21-2016, 4:08 PM
Steve,

Sorry for the delayed response, but I have not been on the creek in a few days. I don't know the model number and I am not at my shop to look at it. I just asked for the Fernco 5" to 5" at the plumbing supply house and took what they gave me. If you need the model and if it is written on the fitting, I will likely get to the shop this weekend and can check for you.

Jon

It should be written on there, so if you can get me the number, that would be great. I can slip 5" flex hose over the inlet, so I should be able to go with that, but I think the Fernco fitting would have more strength.

Andy Giddings
04-30-2016, 1:03 AM
Steve, I had the same problem as others with the SDD and used the Oneida 5-4 reducer for a while, but am now switching to 5 inch metal duct throughout. The Fernco coupler I've got on order should work as it covers an ID range of 4.6 to 5.2 inches. Details are at the Fernco site here http://www.fernco.com/dimensional-drawings/plumbing/flexible-couplings/stock-couplings-1060/1060-44 and you can also get them from Amazon for around $15 (although the Amazon description is wrong as you can read in the reviews)

Lane Hardy
08-19-2017, 2:37 AM
Suggestion! I have HF DC and the SSD I am going to stack the blower directly to the input of the vacuum side of the SSD
using a 6 inch HVAC take off flange. I removed the round panel on the blower that has the 5 inch input port (suction)
I made a new cover out of 1/2 MDF used 6m x 1.0 x 16 screws to fasten the new cover. I cut a 6 inch hole with my scroll saw and attached a 6 inch HVAC take off flange to the cover plate. I have greater air velocity currently I have no way to measure the deference at this time. I will measure the current draw to see what the diffenance is from the stock set up.
with the new HVAC flange it fits snugly into the SSD, Of course foil dust tape is applied to the joints.
I will be using 5 inch HVAC (local supplier $5.50 for 5 ft ) ducting for my plenum, the drops with be with Whyes made by a local shop $30.00 for each I will have 4 drops with blast gates. I will also use a Wynne 35Anano filter in place of the bag dust distributior.:-)
My shop is a small two car garage. When I get the system completed I will post photographs.
i am currently using the stock HF blower Fan, I am at a 1900 foot mean sea level altitude in Texas I am not sure if the the Rikon 12 inch impeller is warranted.

if anyone has any suggestions please give me your feed back.

Allen Matsumoto
01-26-2018, 2:22 PM
I called Oneida today, and the sales guy said a 5" crimped sheetmetal duct should fit into the ID of the SDD inlet. If for some reason it won't, he suggested using the rubber sleeve with hose clamps on each side that is used to join sewer lines. I will find out if it fits next week when my SDD arrives.

And today's answer is (drum roll)... I just called Oneida today, and they told me their recommendation is to connect 5" galv by doing a "pie cut" in the galv, to narrow it to fit inside the inlet port. I wasn't familiar with the term, but assumed that it just meant a series of cuts to create tabs that you could bend inward to narrow the diameter, like some take-offs do, but bending in instead of flanging out. Then presumably screw for security and tape for air. Maybe they meant taking a narrow V out instead of just a straight cut, to avoid the overlap between tabs when bent in, that sounds kind of pie-like.

But googling it for confirmation showed a completely different meaning, so I don't know if they're just misusing the term or if there's something I'm missing. The Fernco was my next direction if I can't get the galv to mate directly. It would also be the route to use if I could find some 5" plastic, which would be my preference but seems to be as rare as hen's teeth.

It's so freaking weird that Oneida makes this product with a completely non-standard ~5" opening, shows multiple customer builds mating it to various materials, but doesn't just make an adapter. Or, what a concept, make the molded-in inlet fit standard ductwork in the first place.

Anyone try narrowing the diameter of galvanized by cutting tabs as described above?

Lane Hardy
03-10-2018, 1:34 PM
I used 5 inch ducting the airflow is much greater than 4 inch.

Peter Kelly
03-10-2018, 2:52 PM
A 5" Fernco boot fits over the end of the SDD inlet.

https://i.imgur.com/GK0E55r.jpg

Patrick Cosentino
03-12-2018, 3:11 PM
Heating the plastic at the inlet with a heat gun gives you a little bit of wiggle room. needed to do that to mine to get the 5" snap lock pipe to fit in snugly.

Jim Dwight
03-12-2018, 9:41 PM
Patrick, I was going to say the same thing. I have a dust deputy on my shop vac and it also has odd sized connections. I've found you can change PVC diameter quite a bit with a heat gun. 2.5 inch schedule 40 works well for the smaller dust deputy and it needs to expand and taper to fit. A few seconds with the heat gun, shove it onto the DD, hold it there while it cools and you have a great fit for very little money. I forget what I was doing when I shrunk it but that was more work but I did get there.

If you could find PVC that is close, I am sure this would work too.