PDA

View Full Version : Toy Chest for niece

Bill Bukovec
01-19-2015, 12:14 PM
My niece requested a toy chest for her first baby. All she gave me were rough dimensions of the finished chest and left everything else up to me. (Which is how I like to work)

18" high x 40 " long x 20" deep. Red oak

I put drawers on the bottom with a lift up top. Without the drawers, the little guy will need to reach all the way down to the bottom to get something.

Thanks for looking.

Bill

Mike Cutler
01-19-2015, 4:48 PM
Very nice. I really like the addition of the side and back boards on the top. 25 years from now it's easy to see a cushion on top, and the chest at the end of a bed.

I might have used different pulls, probably solid wood all the way across the drawers, only because little guys like to climb, but it's a wonderful design and execution.
What did you use for internal closure assemblies ?

Randy Red Bemont
01-19-2015, 7:15 PM
Hey Bill,
I too just built my grandson (1 year old) a toy box/blanket chest similar to yours. What he does is pull out the drawers and stands in them to get his toy's. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Nice toy box by the way.

I used these hinges for my top. Pricey but very nice and they work well. Very easy to install. http://www.rockler.com/search/go?w=torsion%20hinges

Red

Bill Bukovec
01-20-2015, 12:28 PM
I used a closer for the top from a cabinet hardware supply shop. It doesn't close slow enough, so I may need to buy another (have one on both sides) or get a a heavier duty one.

The drawers are on 100 lb rated slides and have a soft close feature.

The hinge is a full length piano hinge. I mounted the hinge so there would be an air gap at the back of the lid.

I debated about wooden pulls but I thought it might be used as a step and break off.

Jerry Olexa
01-20-2015, 3:37 PM
Good job!!!

Floyd Cox
01-21-2015, 7:17 AM
Great job.

Chris Hachet
01-21-2015, 7:24 AM
I love this sort of roject. Good looking well executed, and bound to be enjoyed by the end user.