PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Shows

George Bokros
01-19-2015, 10:56 AM
Thinking about going to the Woodworking Show in Columbus the last weekend of the month. The last time I went, ~4 years ago, I was disappointed at the lack of vendor participation. It looks like there is better vendor participation now. Has anyone gone recently, if so what is your opinion? I have to drive ~2 1/4 hrs to get there so I want it to be worth while.

There are a few of the free seminars I have interest in so that is what is enticing me to attend. I know things are worth what you pay for them so the free seminars may not be any good. Any tip or idea is helpful though.

Your comments and thoughts are appreciated.

John McClanahan
01-19-2015, 6:08 PM
Same here. I think I will skip the Kansas City show unless someone can convince otherwise.

John

John A langley
01-19-2015, 6:22 PM
John I went last year it was pretty decentand I'm thinking about going this Friday I'll post my opinion Friday evening

Jerome Stanek
01-19-2015, 6:27 PM
I can't go this year I have to take care of a couple little dogs. A 110lb pyr and a 150lb newf. I am the only one that can handle the pyr he gets aggressive when my daughter isn't around but a big baby when she is.

George Bokros
01-19-2015, 6:33 PM
Little dogs Jerry??

jack duren
01-19-2015, 6:57 PM
Considering going this weekend if some of the crew at work goes.

Stan Calow
01-19-2015, 7:23 PM
I have been to the last two in KC, a few others in the past. I don't remember seeing any of the main power tool companies there, just retailers displaying Powermatic, Jet, and some Dewalt stuff. I go to pick up some of the small things I need and watch a few demos. I have never actually seen anybody getting a huge deal on a piece of machinery.

Curt Stivison
01-19-2015, 7:29 PM
If you get to Columbus that weekend stop by Woodwerks on the East side. They have alot of factory reps on hand, 10% off tools, 15% off accesories and 20% off on wood. It is also a Rockler store. Free subs and drinks. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Curt

BRAD CHAMNESS
01-19-2015, 8:04 PM
I just got back from the show in Indianapolis. I was a little disappointed, it seems to me that it was quite a bit smaller than the last time I went which was about 5-7 years ago. There were no big tool manufactures at the show, although Veratis and Peachtree had a lot of products on hand. Despite the lack of participation I still managed to spend $250.00.

Bruce Wrenn
01-19-2015, 9:49 PM
Been a couple years since I last went. Either way, show is a six hour drive now, as they cut out closer shows. Atlanta show has moved out to burgs, way away from airport, so flying in is out of the question. I find myself watching more of the demos, and spending less money on trinkets. Always interesting to watch Jerry Cole demo his Dubby. One of the problems of flying to show, is bringing stuff back through TSA.

Jim Falsetti
01-19-2015, 10:47 PM
George,

I went with a friend to the show in New England Jan 10 and it was worth the $10 admission fee. We both commented there seemed to be fewer vendors and more seminars or teaching events.

Best,
Jim

George Bokros
01-20-2015, 7:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments and observations.

Earl McLain
01-20-2015, 2:11 PM
I went to Indianapolis last Saturday (1-17-2015), 3 hour drive but had to go to a meeting that morning anyway so i didn't arrive until just after noon. I'm relatively new as a woodworking hobbyist and this was my first show of any type so i can't compare to "the way it always was" and don't know who was missing. When i first arrived it was too crowded for my taste, which is good for the vendors. I fought through the aisles for a full quick overview, then started back at the beginning and kind of drifted through. Only thing i was really on the hunt for was a circular saw--really nothing to see in the way of corded hand power tools. Peachtree's display was clearly dominant, but that was not really surprising given the 32 or 36 pages of coupons they put out!!

By mid-afternoon, the crowd thinned out pretty good and i took a front row seat for Alex Snodgrass' bandsaw clinic, and also for the Dubby sled demo. Nice to see that stuff in person. Picked up a few Amana bits really cheap from a vendor with a lot of distressed merchandise, a few glue bottle sets from Woodline for $1.00 each. Also grabbed a copy of Patrick Spielman's Scroll Saw Basics for less money than he earned in royalties!!

Favorite Exhibit--an instructor from Southern Indiana who invited me to sit in his Sam Maloof inspired rocking chair. Unbelievable.
Booth That Made me feel most Normal--International Wood Collectors Society...just a bunch of folks who love wood of every type.

The biggest surprise--discovering that some of the companies with well-respected products are really quite small. I figured that Ridge Carbide was a big company, but there was the owner manning his booth and talking with folks like me (says they have 10 employees including him and his wife). In-Line Industries (Dubby Crosscut Sled)--there was Jerry doing the demos and offering his cell phone number. There were several others as well--the Carter booth was manned by Alex Snodgrass, his Dad and his Sister, i get the feeling that is a smaller company than it appears. There are some big companies, to be sure, but many of the well-respected names are good old American Mom & Pop kind of places. I'm encouraged by that.

If i'd been looking for big tools, i'd have been disappointed. But, in my opinion it was worth the trip just to know that my hobby is BIG business to some small companies.

earl

Rick Potter
01-20-2015, 2:30 PM
I went this year. It was better than a couple years ago, and it cost me over $600 to get out of the building.

John McClanahan
01-20-2015, 4:41 PM
Yep, that $10 admission is just a drop in the bucket! :D:D

John

glenn bradley
01-20-2015, 5:11 PM
I went this year to and missed Rick Potter by a day on either end. There were things I really enjoyed and other things were conspicuously absent. Peachtree had good discounts on a lot of merchandise including the slow speed Rikon 8" grinder for $80 and a selection of small Bessey clamps for a around 40-45% off.

Lee Valley got a dose of my cash with their free shipping. Dad had received a fouled Carter Stabilizer a few days before the show so we took it along and they swapped it out for us. He also got a few blades for his Delta 14" for bandsaw boxes and such.

I did miss the Euro vendors not being there. The year before Minimax was out in force and almost sold me a combo machine . . . it was so close . . . At any rate, we both enjoyed the day.

Peter Hartman
01-20-2015, 5:42 PM
I plan to be in KC on friday and saturday.

Chris Hachet
01-21-2015, 7:22 AM
If you get to Columbus that weekend stop by Woodwerks on the East side. They have alot of factory reps on hand, 10% off tools, 15% off accesories and 20% off on wood. It is also a Rockler store. Free subs and drinks. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Curt

This would be my thinking. I get very little out of the shows now that I ahve switched to using mostly hand tools to do my work.

Chris

Patrick Curry
01-21-2015, 12:03 PM
IMO, manufacturer participation would make or break the show. Obviously, it's a cost issue for them. Salaries and transporting the equipment. But I have to wonder how many more would display if the venues were less expensive? $10k-20k for the floor space necessary to display a line wouldn't make much sense to me either. And that guesstimate probably isn't far off. I paid near $3k for a booth in the Atlant Merch Mart a few years ago. It was only 10'x10'.

Fairgrounds, old warehouses?