PDA

View Full Version : Anyone sharpening turning tools on a WS3000?

George Farra
01-19-2015, 9:46 AM
Hi All

I sharpen chisels and plane irons with a combo of WS3000, wet/dry paper, and compounds. Im happy with my results and noticed that WS has a tool bar accessory that allows the use of Tormek and Jet jigs. Anyone using a WS3000 with the jigs to sharpen turning tools? How do you like your results? Is there a need to go to a strop with compound or can you move right from the WS back to turning?

Thanks

George

Reed Gray
01-19-2015, 12:40 PM
I do touch on that in this video clip. I don't have one, but they do work, and you have a very wide choice of grits to use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDYdo1IoyRY

I guess it depends on how fine or coarse of an abrasive surface you want to use, but it does work.

robo hippy

Al Weber
01-20-2015, 8:05 AM
I'm a complete amateur to turning but recently had some pizza cutter gifts needing handles. I have an old ShopSmith but didn't have a good way of sharpening turning tools so I bought the tool bar accessory and some of the Tormek and Jet jigs to do my limited gouges and skews on the WS. The results were acceptable for my limited use just grinding them on 80 to 150 grit discs. I did not go to a strop on anything. I posted a similar query either here or on another website some time ago without getting any answers so I just winged it. By watching for sales on the accessories and jigs, the investment is not huge.