PDA

View Full Version : Staining/Finishing all sides of large item

ryan paulsen
01-19-2015, 7:45 AM
I am getting ready to finish a large slab of White Oak that I will be using as a mantle. The slab is 4" x ~13" (live edge) x 60". I plan on staining, then finishing with Watco Danish Oil. Am I better off staining each face individually? Would I be better off trying to stand this thing on its back and working that way? Thanks for the help guys.

-Ryan

glenn bradley
01-19-2015, 7:51 AM
Large flat surfaces are easier if they are facing up. However, with penetrating oil finishes there is little chance of pooling or runs if you are reasonably cautious. I would apply the no-show side and deal with it to the point where I don't have to go back to rub off finish or deal with weeping. I would them raise the piece with the no-show side down (painter's pyramids, nail board, whatever) and finish all the rest. Others will have different approaches.

Jamie Buxton
01-19-2015, 10:11 AM
You can temporarily screw feet to the back edge -- just a couple of 1x4 scraps -- so the slab stands easily. Then you can deal with the five remaining sides all at the same time.

Sam Murdoch
01-19-2015, 10:33 AM
Large flat surfaces are easier if they are facing up. However, with penetrating oil finishes there is little chance of pooling or runs if you are reasonably cautious. I would apply the no-show side and deal with it to the point where I don't have to go back to rub off finish or deal with weeping. I would them raise the piece with the no-show side down (painter's pyramids, nail board, whatever) and finish all the rest. Others will have different approaches.

Yes to this technique - I am currently doing the very same thing on some slab side board tops.