PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
01-18-2015, 11:40 PM
19 Jan 2015

Good Morning Everyone,
I hope this finds each of you doing well, staying warm, and doing well for yourselves. The rain finally stopped here, grey skies cleared, and we've been having some really nice days with clear skies and plenty of sunshine. A really nice break from all the dreary drab days we had prior to now.

Gearing up to start the LOML Jr's blanket chest again and she wants me to work on it a day when she can come help with it. That means that we will work on it on Saturday of this week. Maybe I'll take the before that to get everything cleaned up and ready for when she gets here to help me on her blanket chest. Should be a really good time together.

Played bass guitar at church as well as teaching my youngest son how to play guitar.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Don Sundberg
01-18-2015, 11:54 PM
Saturday - Went to the hardwood dealer and came home with about 700 bdft of oak to trim my living and dining rooms. This is the first time I have called in an order instead of picking through the bins. They milled it the day before all at once.
Started on the milling Sunday by getting my baseboards done. Tomorrow will be sanding and maybe starting to get finish on. It's cold enough up here it will take a few days before I can sand and re-coat so I plan on starting with plinth blocks after I get the first coat of finish down. I have a busy few weeks in the shop coming up.
It was a great day to be outside in January. I had the big door open in the shop all day (unheated part). It was nice working in a sweatshirt. We do not always get these in Iowa.

Jeremy Killingbeck
01-19-2015, 7:56 AM
I added a pre-seperator to my dust collector & hunt the dust collector on the wall. I think that I might look at converting it into a cyclone some time in the future, but for now it give me the added space that I need and the pre-seperator should keep the big chunks of wood out of the impeller.

Jim Andrew
01-19-2015, 7:57 AM
A January thaw was very welcome in Kansas.

John A langley
01-19-2015, 8:01 AM
Sounds like you have your work cut out for you I have about 400 board feet coming today so I guess Oak is not dead in Iowa or Kansas good luck with your project

Shawn Pixley
01-19-2015, 1:03 PM
The dogs' walks and various house chores got done. I picked up some batteries that I had rebuilt for my cordless drill. It seems so wrong that rebuilding batteries should cost almost as much as a new driver drill. Buying replacements cost even more than a new drill.

My woodworking this weekend was centered around starting the finish on my guitar build. I decided upon a dyed black red combination on the Ash back and sides. I worked up a color / finish schedule for the dye and grainfill. Then I started on the guitar. Unfortunately, I missed scraping and sanding enough some areas where the binding glue had worked into the wood. So, I spent a bit more time cleaning that up before re-dying and evening out the base before the initial sand back. Then the secondary dye was applied.

Today, I'll do the grain fill and let it dry before going to the lacquer tack coat.