PDA

View Full Version : Bought a chunk of "firewood"

steven c newman
01-18-2015, 10:16 PM
I think I could use. Ugly tote had to go
Yep,THAT one. On a Road Trip the other day, spotted a cart full of blocks of "firewood" for 50 cents a chunk....picked out the "pick of the liter" and took it home.
Well, first I had to sharpen this thing up. The use it to work the blank down to where a scrub plane could take over
After doing the edges with a Jointah type plane. Note the rear handle? It will serve as a pattern for a new one. As for the scrub plane
windsor #33 scrub plane. Ok now have a block of wood, all dressed down
But it was a little too thick. Did some saw work, wound up just splitting it right down the middle of the thickness. Planes took away the split off areas. Laid out a few lines, by tracing off of the other tote. Then I used that as pattern to add a tenon to the bottom of the "real" tote. The "dovetail" area on the other plane was trashed by the way they added that peg-leg handle, so just a tenon will get used on the new one. Got the new handle cut out, edges rounded over, everything smoothed down. Had to narrow the tenon a bit, to fit. Installed the new handle. Gave it a coat of BLO, and set it aside
Not too bad for just "firewood"??:D

Brian Holcombe
01-18-2015, 10:31 PM
Nice work Steven!

Reinis Kanders
01-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Roughly how long did it take?

steven c newman
01-18-2015, 11:29 PM
Started this afternoon.....maybe six hours IN the shop working on it. That's counting cutting the prototype out as well.

Jebediah Eckert
01-18-2015, 11:51 PM
Looks the the best $.50 deal on lumber I have ever seen.

steven c newman
01-19-2015, 12:10 AM
There is enough left over for two more such totes, too.

Jim Koepke
01-19-2015, 2:30 AM
Nice job.

Some of my best handles are made of firewood.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
01-19-2015, 8:44 AM
That looks great. Man, I hadnt thought of using firewood like that.

george wilson
01-19-2015, 9:17 AM
One of the flintlock pistols I have posted here was a chunk of walnut firewood. A friend noticed that it had a curved grain that was perfect for a pistol. He brought it to me. I let it dry for 3 or 4 years inside the house,and made the pistol from it. The curve of the wood did fit the shape of the handle perfectly. And,it had nice wrinkles where the curve was. They are called "Butt wrinkles".

The brass butt was forged from a flat piece of brass.

Reinis Kanders
01-19-2015, 12:59 PM
Nice. You have pretty nice speed judging by your posts. When I need speed I use pocket holes, still neander:)

Started this afternoon.....maybe six hours IN the shop working on it. That's counting cutting the prototype out as well.

steven c newman
01-19-2015, 2:41 PM
Well, glue has dried overnight, added a screw to reinforce things ( the other 22" Try has a couple nails, came that way from the seller) and tried out some shavings
Hammer laying there is an adjuster....depth, lateral, and attitude all in one tool. Also about the best brad hammer I have ever had..

Might need to strop the iron a bit, but it seems to work......

Jerry Olexa
01-19-2015, 4:09 PM
Very nice work!!

Joe Bailey
01-19-2015, 5:20 PM
Well George, here's yet another one of your creations that leaves me in awe.

I'm guessing that those who see it in person have an overwhelming urge to put their hands on it.

Bob Glenn
01-19-2015, 6:33 PM
Interesting grain pattern on that block of wood. I've never seen diverging growth rings before. Did it come out of a crotch?

steven c newman
01-19-2015, 6:37 PM
Half of the lines on the end grain shot were from a chainsaw, I think.

Seemed to be a flatsawn chunk, grain was almost straight.

Might go back past the place in the near future, I'll have to see what else he has... didn't see any crotch cuts in the cart,,,,yet.

Thomas Schneider
01-19-2015, 11:45 PM
I usually buy firewood too. Only mine starts out looking like nice boards and is sold by the board foot and ends up as expensive firewood! :) Nice job Steve!