PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a "Movable" garden?

Joe Tonich
05-30-2003, 8:46 PM
My 9yr old son wants a garden this year but with all the trees around we don't have a spot that gets enough sun. I was going to make a 3'x6' one made out of landscaping timbers (3"x5" W/rounded sides) on wheels (so we could keep moving it to where the sun goes) but all I could find were pressure treated. Can I use them for gardening? Will the Arsenic in them get into the plants? Any ideas on what to use? It has to be somewhat pretty as it will probably be moving between the drive and the front yard.

Thanks,

Joe

Paul Kunkel
05-30-2003, 11:31 PM
Why not just use rough 6x6's, 10" pneumatic casters from Northern tools, and if it rots away in a few years, save the wheels. Don't use green lumber for food growing-Bad!

John Seutter
05-31-2003, 6:49 AM
Use cedar decking material for both the sides and the bottom. If you don't care about it rotting in a few uears, just use 1X stock for the sides and plywood for the bottom. I think you want to keep it as light as possible for your son to be able to move it.

Halsey MCCombs
05-31-2003, 12:15 PM
Also you can line it with black plastic so it holds water better and you don't have to water every day.I found 6 inches of soil was enough doing it that way and it keeps down the weight.Halsey

Jim Becker
05-31-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Halsey MCCombs
Also you can line it with black plastic so it holds water better and you don't have to water every day.I found 6 inches of soil was enough doing it that way and it keeps down the weight.Halsey

The danger here is that rain and excessive watering from the "young gardener" could cause problems with a plastic liined bin like that. There needs to be drainage to avoid root rot and other assorted problems that standing water would create. That doesn't mean that the liner can't be used; just that it needs to have provisions for proper drainange.