PDA

View Full Version : Recent shop activity

Hayes Rutherford
01-18-2015, 4:32 PM
Roger"s recent post about the changing forum brought out some good comments about how things evolve. Like most others, I tried to get better at photos and got to a point of frustration. Taking nice photos can be time consuming and I questioned what was the real benefit anyway. So as of late its mostly been iPhone pics for recording purposes.

Building a new shop over the last two years eats up just about any free time and for some reason I keep running out of money. Still a lot to do but I can finally turn in comfort even when its below zero outside. Here are the first turnings since the beginning of the month in the new surroundings. Having an outdoor wood boiler as a heat source has been a tremendous incentive to keep things cleaned up. It will literally eat all the curlies I can feed it.

Roger Chandler
01-18-2015, 4:35 PM
Nice, Hayes......both the turnings and the new shop space!

James Combs
01-18-2015, 4:55 PM
Some great looking projects Hayes, however, what impresses me the most is your display table, got one very similar although a different brand and it is covered with carpet instead of cardboard. The carpet adds a little more elegance to my table.;):rolleyes:

Paul Williams
01-18-2015, 5:55 PM
That is a well built display table. Nice collection of bowls also. Glad to see you are back at it.

Hayes Rutherford
01-19-2015, 9:54 AM
It's funny how so many start wood turning with an expensive display table! It's too bad I need to use it first thing this morning for another not so enjoyable purpose.

Thom Sturgill
01-19-2015, 10:03 AM
It's funny how so many start wood turning with an expensive display table!...

I hear yah! I fall into the same group I guess. When I was gertting ready to retire, I knew I wanted to get back into woodworking and started collecting tools. My 'table' is a hybred rather than a cabinet model, but same effect. I wish I could keep my shop as clean as yours - to hot down here for wood burning furnaces...

Wes Ramsey
01-19-2015, 10:20 AM
Nice work and nice shop, but the cardboard caught my eye as well. Great idea! Glad to see I'm not the only one that gets full use out of a table saw. After all, it is only half saw :)

Hayes Rutherford
01-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Thom I need to confess we had a party here Saturday so most of Friday was spent cleaning up. It might just become a yearly event!!

Marty Tippin
01-19-2015, 1:06 PM
More photos of your shop, please! - especially your lathe setup and some details on the dust collection configuration.

Randy Red Bemont
01-19-2015, 2:59 PM
Nice looking bowls... and shop.

Red

David Delo
01-19-2015, 5:01 PM
Hayes, Is that a keyboard stand that looks like it's holding a few chisels on it?

Hayes Rutherford
01-19-2015, 6:29 PM
David, that's just a plain old ironing board. My wife gave it to me for my birthday.

Marty, I'll get some pics of the dust collection setup.

Hayes Rutherford
01-20-2015, 9:47 AM
More photos of your shop, please! - especially your lathe setup and some details on the dust collection configuration.

Marty, here is a shot of my current dust collection at the lathe. The bottom hood jambs in between the ways. Its notched to fit around the banjo which would be in place and the tailstock against the bottom tenon while completing the outside.

The upper pipe simply pulls on and off when needed.

Marty Tippin
01-20-2015, 2:15 PM
Marty, here is a shot of my current dust collection at the lathe. The bottom hood jambs in between the ways. Its notched to fit around the banjo which would be in place and the tailstock against the bottom tenon while completing the outside.

The upper pipe simply pulls on and off when needed.

Thanks, that's an interesting setup. Do you use the hood when turning or only when sanding? I've had trouble with shavings plugging up the inlet on my DC if I try to suck up all the shavings when roughing a bowl.

Hayes Rutherford
01-20-2015, 7:24 PM
Marty, I only use the hood while turning if the conditions are dusty. I've always had the impression that most turners, including myself don't try to capture the shavings. Shavings don't create the health hazard but dust sure does.

Michelle Rich
01-21-2015, 4:32 AM
congrats on the new wonderful shop space..with heat!!! i was in mine yesterday for about 2 hrs and it was 18 degrees. What we won't sacrifice for our art :-)