PDA

View Full Version : Blondwood Plywood Question

Steve Goetz
01-18-2015, 4:23 PM
Has anyone use blondwood primed plywood before? I'm going to be building a "chuck box" for the cub scout pack that I belong to and was going to build it out of 1/2" and 1/4" baltic birch plywood, but when I was in Lowe's yesterday, I ran across this "1/2" TC Blondwood Primed" Item #520359. I'm curious to know it's stability, strength, etc. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

-Steve

Jim Becker
01-18-2015, 5:20 PM
As much as I hate to say it...be very wary of material like that from the home centers. While I have no idea about the specific product you mention, I've never come across a sheet goods product in the home center (outside of MDF and the smaller 1/4" or 3/16" stuff I'll occasionally use for backers) that were worth considering for casework projects. Voids, very thin veneers, warps, etc., just seem to be what is to be found there. For a project that will last and be pleasurable to build, go with the "good stuff" like the BB you mention. Material quality is one of the first finishing considerations... ;)

Peter Quinn
01-18-2015, 6:52 PM
I have actually found some pretty good plywood at my local Lowes recently, a few years back the options were not great, seems they are on the upswing? I don't have experience with the particular plywood you referenced, but two things that occur to me; Chuck box? So food and food related items are stored in this pre primed material? What is the primer, is it food safe? Would you want your kids to have it in their mouths? I'd consider getting something un primed so I had control over the finish. Second, is this to go on campouts? This plywood is rated interior only, so if this is something that may get left out in the rain, perhaps there are better choices? Most baltic birch is highly water resistant, not sure I would throw the money for BB at such an item? A-C fir might be more than sufficient.

Jim Finn
01-18-2015, 8:05 PM
I have used this "blondwood" to make cabinets in my garage and have found out that the veneer on one side is extremely thin. I would not recommend this plywood over Baltic birch.