PDA

View Full Version : My largest hollow form to date.

Sparky Paessler
07-24-2005, 6:12 PM
I turned this hollow form as a present for my brother. It is the largest that I have done to date. Cherry with a diameter of 11.25 and 7.25 in height. What do you think?

Ernie Nyvall
07-24-2005, 7:00 PM
That's a real beaut Sparky. How did you sand the inside? Looks real smooth.

Ernie

Pat Salter
07-24-2005, 7:30 PM
yeah, man, makes me wish I was your brother. Nice form, nice colors, nice shine.....but it's the demensions that through me off.. How did you come up with 11.24? :p I could see 11.25....never mind, good job

Bill Stevener
07-24-2005, 7:35 PM
Hi Sparky,

One heck of a nice turning, great form, and a very pleasing finish. It's always a challenge to create something that large from cherry, without it cracking. I'm sure your brother will cherish it forever.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Miliunas
07-24-2005, 7:40 PM
Sparky, that is kick-butt!!!:) Ditto to what the other guys said, including the "brother" part from Pat! I'll bet he's real happy with it. Hey, how about some details on the finish and such?:) Well done, Sparky!!!:cool:

Sparky Paessler
07-24-2005, 7:49 PM
Thanks Guys

I finished out the inside with my new scraper blade that I got for my Jamieson rig. Did not sand it at all. It's not all as smooth as the bottom is though. For Finish I put about 5 coats of Watco oil and then buffed it out and applied the wax with the Beal buffing wheels.

SP

John Miliunas
07-24-2005, 8:02 PM
Thanks Guys

I finished out the inside with my new scraper blade that I got for my Jamieson rig. Did not sand it at all. It's not all as smooth as the bottom is though. For Finish I put about 5 coats of Watco oil and then buffed it out and applied the wax with the Beal buffing wheels.

SP

No sanding???:eek: OK, now I think I hate you, Sparky!:D Great job! I'd have had my 80 grit "chisel" out there, followed by every grit on up to about 320 or so!:rolleyes: :cool:

Gary Max
07-24-2005, 8:10 PM
I love it---heck that's a bigger hollow form than I have made--yet.
I need to go check out this scraper you are talking about---may have to put it on the top of my Christmas list.
Great Job---Thanks for sharing

Sparky Paessler
07-24-2005, 10:11 PM
Wait, I did sand the outside! I was answering the question about the inside. I don't like to sand inside a form with a small opening having jammed a finger real bad once. I think on my next one I will try adding a contrasting piece in the opening with a very small hole. The scraper is just the Jamieson scraper blade that I got from The Cutting Edge with my new Jamieson rig. It did a real good job smoothing out the ridges left from the hollowing cutter.

SP

Jim Ketron
07-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Awesome Job Sparky!

Nice form and finish!

Keith Burns
07-25-2005, 8:32 AM
That is one fine looking piece. Great job. I too am your brother, where's mine?

"Don't make me choose between love and tools."

Sparky Paessler
07-25-2005, 8:43 AM
I don't know Keith even though I see some family resemblance in your avatar I don't remember a brother named Keith.:)

Mark Singer
07-25-2005, 8:57 AM
Really great work! You just want to pick it up and hold it!

Ray Wishart
07-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Very nice. This looks like one of those pieces that there would be a pile of the ones that blew up before one got finished, or at least it would be for me. I'm impressed to say the least!