PDA

View Full Version : Honey pot

Paul Williams
01-17-2015, 9:18 PM
If your grandkids are Winnie the Poo fans you might try a light colored bowl in this shape. It reminds me of the Honey Pot in the poo stories.
Quite a different look on opposite sides of this one.

304583 304584

And a shot of my elaborate photo booth. It is a window shade on a small wood rack behind my lathe. It works a lot better when there is sun shining through the window in the opposite wall.

Dennis Ford
01-17-2015, 9:27 PM
Nice bowl, that is not an easy shape to get right. Is that pine?

Paul Williams
01-17-2015, 10:35 PM
I know it as "sugar pine." No idea if that is correct. Decoy carvers use it around here. I have several large blocks left over from my carving days 20 years ago. Cut easily, very soft, left a small amount of pitch on the tools and the shavings felt a little "oily."

Steve Huffman
01-17-2015, 10:39 PM
I really like the shape of that....nice job Paul!

Pat Scott
01-18-2015, 3:42 PM
Love it! Nice simple shape and well done. What size is it?

Thom Sturgill
01-18-2015, 3:54 PM
But, but, but a honey pot needs a lid :confused::D.

Nice pot Paul, it does resemble the drawings from the Pooh books.

Hayes Rutherford
01-18-2015, 3:57 PM
Yes!! True honey pot shape and as Thom said, a lid would be nice.

Paul Williams
01-18-2015, 5:50 PM
I hadn't thought of a lid. However I gave it to a girl at church this morning. She had asked lots of questions about a bowl I turned for a charity auction and spent a lot of time feeling it. I figured she would like a simple bowl so I asked her dad if giving her this would be OK. I ended up having to explain the whole turning process to her extended family. Perhaps there is a future turner in the group.

The bowl is 4x6 and just had a few coats of shellac for a finish.

Tim Browne
01-20-2015, 8:03 AM
Nice shape and proportions. It does remind you of a honey pot from the Pooh stories but be sure you don't call it a pooh pot. :eek:

Jim Seyfried
01-20-2015, 8:46 AM
Very nice turning Paul! One thing pictures don't convey is how nice well finished turnings feel. The difference in grain from side to side is interesting too. Did you use different lighting between the two pictures? The white balance seems to be different.

Paul Williams
01-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Same lighting, flash from my point and shoot camera. Normally I have sunlight from windows on the opposite wall, but I took these in the evening. I photographed two bowls that evening and took several shoots. There was quite a difference in background color between several of the shots. I think it might have been caused by how far away from the bowl I was standing.