PDA

View Full Version : Be careful out there

Bob Glenn
01-17-2015, 9:06 PM
I just got word a good friend lost the ends of two fingers on his left hand back behind the nail bed. They have tried to reattach one but don't know if it will be successful or not. They didn't find the other until too late. My wife got a text from his wife that it was a wood working accident. The first thing I said was "table saw". The wife said how did you know?

It happens so fast, and there is no going back. So guys, we all know what to do and what not to do, so take a step back and think. This has really got me to thinking tonight. Bob Glenn

Mike Henderson
01-17-2015, 10:06 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.

Unfortunately we hear stories like that all too often - someone who has lots of experience and just makes a mistake. Who knows why? Maybe tired, or maybe tried some technique that was new and not safe. As you said, it just happens so fast.

I hope he's back soon and is not too impaired. Also hope insurance picks up most of the charges.

Mike

James Nugnes
01-17-2015, 10:26 PM
Bob, when you mentioned that your first thought was "table saw" I was just wondering why that one at least for you came to mind so quickly. I don't have to use a table saw for the kind of woodworking that I do. Most of what I do for real power is done on a bandsaw. Does table saw come to mind so quickly because of the relationship of spinning blade to hands?

While the two tools do not do the same jobs and I am not implying that they do, maybe the top wheel to bottom wheel action of a band saw gives the operator more time and more opportunity to get his hands out of the way just because he has a good view of where the teeth of the blade are just about all the time. Maybe heavy tilt to the bandsaw table would be the exception there. Whereas while i don't have to use a table saw I can see where there would seem more opportunity for a guy or gal's hand to be in the way before even knowing what hit them.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery and minimal number of long term consequences.

Patrick Curry
01-18-2015, 2:26 AM
Terrible news and very sorry for your friend.

Would be interested to hear (as a warning to remember) how it happened. I hate reading them, but won't forget the story when I'm on the saw.

David Ragan
01-18-2015, 4:59 AM
That is tragic.

Also, the most common cause of disability in adults is falls. We have two small scaffolds we got from HD few years ago. Just love them. That is what I'm currently using for shop renovation. Much much safer than a step stool/ladder.

Last weekend my BF, who has mega experience blew a blade on my SS with his finger.

John Coloccia
01-18-2015, 8:05 AM
Bob, when you mentioned that your first thought was "table saw" I was just wondering why that one at least for you came to mind so quickly. I don't have to use a table saw for the kind of woodworking that I do. Most of what I do for real power is done on a bandsaw. Does table saw come to mind so quickly because of the relationship of spinning blade to hands?

While the two tools do not do the same jobs and I am not implying that they do, maybe the top wheel to bottom wheel action of a band saw gives the operator more time and more opportunity to get his hands out of the way just because he has a good view of where the teeth of the blade are just about all the time. Maybe heavy tilt to the bandsaw table would be the exception there. Whereas while i don't have to use a table saw I can see where there would seem more opportunity for a guy or gal's hand to be in the way before even knowing what hit them.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery and minimal number of long term consequences.

Bandsaws don't kickback. I'm sure it happens, but I doubt most injuries are from simply absentmindedly pushing their fingers through the blade.

Jim Matthews
01-18-2015, 8:14 AM
We have two small scaffolds we got from HD few years ago. Just love them. That is what I'm currently using for shop renovation. Much much safer than a step stool/ladder.

+1 on this.
Local story similar - 3 foot fall from ladder, spiral fracture of the femur.
Homeowner all of 46 years old.

I have always held a healthy distrust of ladders.

Rod Sheridan
01-18-2015, 9:03 AM

James, many tablesaw accidents are the result of lack of safety equipment on the saw.

Bandsaw accidents are lower because

- less use of bandsaws

- no risk of kickback

- guards seldom removed from bandsaws.

Regards, Rod.

Rod Sheridan
01-18-2015, 9:05 AM
I just got word a good friend lost the ends of two fingers on his left hand back behind the nail bed. They have tried to reattach one but don't know if it will be successful or not. They didn't find the other until too late. My wife got a text from his wife that it was a wood working accident. The first thing I said was "table saw". The wife said how did you know?

It happens so fast, and there is no going back. So guys, we all know what to do and what not to do, so take a step back and think. This has really got me to thinking tonight. Bob Glenn

Bob sorry to hear about your friend, I hope he heals as well as possible. He had a pretty traumatic event happen to him.

Wood working injuries are so senseless, no reason for them to ever occur..................Regards, Rod.

James Nugnes
01-18-2015, 10:23 AM
Thought it was something like that. Kickback and hand thrown right into the blade can probably happen even if you did not have your hand directly in line with it when the kickback happens.

As I said earlier I am fortunate in having bandsaw work for a power tool in my woodworking. If I had to use a table saw I would probably use a push stick instead of a push block and would get halfway across the room if i could do it. Seriously I would likely be in serious jeopardy since I just have not had to use a table saw in years and years. Would have to relearn the tool all over again it has been so long.

Bob Glenn
01-18-2015, 5:35 PM
James, as far as your question about how table saw was the first thing I thought of, here is the situation. My friend spends his winters in Florida in an area that has a communal wood working shop. That being said, the equipment may not be the best. In the case of a table saw, dull blade, no splitter or guard, and fence not in line with the blade, these all can contribute to this type accident. My friend makes segmented bowls, so the chances of him cutting down really small pieces of wood is likely, thus the fence close to the blade.

I learned later through his wife, that he said he felt like the wood was going to kick back and reached down to hold the board down. He said he knew at once he shouldn't have done that. So, I'm guessing the blade was set too high, caught the wood and rotated it out and away from the fence, pulling his hand with it. If you go to Youtube, there is a guy showing how this works, and he almost gets his hand caught in the blade even though he knew it was going to happen. BTW, I know three people that have lost fingers due to table saw accidents. One was at work, and we had to disassemble the dust collection system to retrieve his thumb. (turns out he was very high on drugs at the time).

I'm mostly a hand tool guy, but don't get crazy with it. If I need to rip a board down, I go the table saw. However, when ever I turn anything on, I am always mindful of the consequences at hand.

James Nugnes
01-18-2015, 6:42 PM
Just watched the exact video you referred to Bob. I guess if I used a table saw I would have a hard time understanding why I would not at least equip it with a Riving Knife. I would have to put a Riving knife in place and be very cautious about set up. It has been years and years since I have used a table saw. So I would have to be extra cautious just learning my way around the thing again if I had to use one.

In the old days when I was around them more, hanging clothing was one of the biggest hazards you heard about a good deal as was reaching across the blade to pick up the pieces that had been processed. Kickback should have been just as prevalent...not sure why we did not hear about more incidents. Maybe it was just a matter of more professionals using a table saw and fewer hobbyists. Maybe that resulted in fewer kickback incidents.

Keith Weber
01-18-2015, 7:06 PM
I guess if I used a table saw I would have a hard time understanding why I would not at least equip it with a Riving Knife. I would have to put a Riving knife in place and be very cautious about set up.

James,

It's not quite that simple when it comes to riving knives. A riving knife pretty much has to be designed into a table saw from the start. Most older saws did not come with riving knives, and their design doesn't allow for an easy retrofit of a riving knife. A splitter can be retrofitted to an older saw without a riving knife as a next-best-thing. Unlike a riving knife, a splitter doesn't move up and down with the blade, so it gets in the way on non-through cuts -- so people tend to remove them for these cuts and if they're not easily re-installed, they may leave them off. Also, some splitters do not tilt with the blade, so once again, they would need to be removed for these cuts. Splitters also tend to be further back from the rear of the blade, which increases the window for a kickback to happen. Riving knives are a lot more common on newer saws these days.

Larry Frank
01-18-2015, 7:51 PM
Just for info from 2008....

38,400 accidents requiring emergency room
88 % fingers
10% amputated
67% ripping
65% no riving knife
66% blade guard
41% involved kick back

It appears that ripping with no riving knife or guard greatly increases the possibility of an accident

Be safe out there especially when ripping

James Nugnes
01-18-2015, 7:58 PM
Honestly if I had to buy a table saw, I would have to buy a table saw that would take the riving knife. I don't like the way the splitter functions. Just kind of glade that I don't have need for a table saw to do what I do. Plus being able to throw virtually all of my power work at a bandsaw means I have grown really used to it and the things I need to do to give me the best chance of not being injured. I am not particularly good, especially now later in life at things that I only do occasionally or rarely. The worst possible situation for me to be in would be occasionally using a table saw. Much better for me to not use one at all.

Dave Aronson
01-18-2015, 10:25 PM

88 % fingers
10% amputated
67% ripping
65% no riving knife
66% blade guard
41% involved kick back

It appears that ripping with no riving knife or guard greatly increases the possibility of an accident

88% fingers.... what else is getting cut? dare I ask.

I love having a saw with a riving knife, although I still have a healthy respect for the blade.

Rod Sheridan
01-19-2015, 8:32 AM
88% fingers.... what else is getting cut? dare I ask.

Hands, thumbs, and arms...........Rod.

Judson Green
01-19-2015, 10:45 AM
Bandsaws don't kickback. I'm sure it happens, but I doubt most injuries are from simply absentmindedly pushing their fingers through the blade.

James, many tablesaw accidents are the result of lack of safety equipment on the saw.

Bandsaw accidents are lower because

- less use of bandsaws

- no risk of kickback

- guards seldom removed from bandsaws.

Regards, Rod.

I'd add to that your feed rate is usually slower.

Ole Anderson
01-19-2015, 1:07 PM
But even using my bandsaw, I constantly am thinking that this is what the butcher uses to saw meat and bone. Keeps me alert.

lowell holmes
01-19-2015, 3:46 PM
If I ever buy another table saw it will be a Sawstop.

Marty Tippin
01-19-2015, 4:09 PM
I'm sure this video has been shared before, but watch this if you haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sRrC2Jpp4

Judson Green
01-19-2015, 4:15 PM

88 % fingers
10% amputated
67% ripping
65% no riving knife
66% blade guard
41% involved kick back

Are these stats just for table saw accidents? Or woodworking related accidents?

Mike Cutler
01-19-2015, 4:41 PM
Bob

I'm a little late but here's wishing for a speedy recovery for your friend.

Bill Space
01-19-2015, 4:50 PM
A few days ago I went to breakfast with guys I used to work with about 14 years ago. They meet monthly, but I had not seen them for that number of years, as I had taken another job. But now I am retired...

It took me a while to remember names and faces, people change a lot in almost 15 years!

Anyway, one guy was wearing a cast like device on his right thumb. I said " I did not recognize you at first with that thing on your hand." He said "Don't ask..." So I did not. Later someone else said "So what is the story about that thing on your hand?"

Turns out he thought he had a bad bearings on his table saw arbor, and while trying to determine if that was the case (while the saw was running and the blade guard was off) he somehow put the thumb of his right hand into the blade. He said the blade nearly took the thumb completely off...

So you CAN do damage to yourself even if not cutting wood! While I do not believe that a SawStop is 100% protection, I do believe in this case it would have been a great asset for this guy to have had.

Just another her data point...

Bill

Larry Frank
01-19-2015, 7:43 PM
The statistics are from CPSC for 2008...Consumer Products Safety Commision and only for table saws. The stats are for emergency room visits only and there are probably a lot more accidents. The number of band saw emergency room visits is about 10% of table saw visits. The report makes interesting reading.

Dan Hintz
01-19-2015, 8:02 PM
The statistics are from CPSC for 2008...Consumer Products Safety Commision and only for table saws. The stats are for emergency room visits only and there are probably a lot more accidents. The number of band saw emergency room visits is about 10% of table saw visits. The report makes interesting reading.

And I'm only guessing here, but I would imagine the majority of bandsaw accidents are from people trying to cut items that are not flush with the table (like a round blank).

Brian W Smith
01-20-2015, 5:37 AM
Best wishes for a full recovery for your friend!!

David Nelson1
01-20-2015, 6:13 AM
I'm sure this video has been shared before, but watch this if you haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sRrC2Jpp4

Yeah we have commented on that video here on SMC just after it hit you tube. That fellow is right he is an idiot, but without that video many would never understand.

My accident happened after I was done cutting I got dizzy and fell into the saw. Lesson learned the hard way Bought 2 Grippers and ordered a shark guard. Doing PT but still cant use my hand for much! please be careful folks.

Bob Glenn
01-20-2015, 8:22 AM
Thanks to all for your best wishes. My friend is in Florida for the winter and won't be back to Indiana until later this Spring. I haven't call him about this, and won't, as he is feeling really stupid and embarrassed, according to this wife. Bob