PDA

View Full Version : Large Square Table Pedestals - How would you make this?

alex grams
01-17-2015, 8:48 PM
I think the title says it all. How would you go about making this pedestal? I had someone contact me about a possible table they want made and they like this style. My firstthought is to make a solid block and profile it on the bandsaw and then sand it smooth. The other option would be to make a large flat board with the profile then cut miters and glue them up to form the piece.

Thoughts? Either way, it looks cumbersome and tedious with such a drastic change in the profile. A lot of wood to shape and remove.

jack duren
01-17-2015, 8:52 PM
I would make it in several pieces. The body and then the numerous trim. Stack together and use a threaded rod to lock it together....

For me it would be a 5 piece pedestal ...

Mike Cutler
01-17-2015, 9:37 PM
Alex

There used to be a company that made those blank plinths for sale on the internet, but I can't remember who they were. I know that the curved bell section is hollow, not one large piece. The top and bottom going into the table and base are just architectural flat work.
If memory serves the central piece begins as a glued frustum and the waste is removed on a bandsaw with a pattern guide. You'll need the waste pieces to support the form while band sawing the adjacent side.
Like I stated though, there used to be a company that made them.