PDA

View Full Version : help me identify this SICMA jointer/planer combo

rodrigo sosa
01-17-2015, 6:42 PM
hi everybody, this is my second post here, must say this forum is a gem!
having recently acquired an S315 ws and having ordered a domino 700 from festool (ouch) im in the look to acquire a decent jointer/planer combo to be 'free' from the wood 'i will plane whatever thickness i want' provider

being south from the 1st world my options are scarce must say, new machines are top $ and chinese knock off are, i dont know what to say... BUT, recently put my eye on a SICMA jointer/planer, old one, used

i love big heavy old iron, stability, reliability and nuke proof. moreover, with the guys at byrd, a helix head may well upgrade this old machine and have something that is reliable

i would like with your help guys to try identify the model from the pictures, i recognize this is a long shot but in any case there are a lots of savvy people among you. seller says the mortising accessory had the machine plate, it was sold separately
would appreciate any comments on the subject

here the pics from seller:

thanks in advance

cheers

rodrigo

Jim Becker
01-18-2015, 5:33 PM
I can't help you with the identification, Rodrigo, but that looks like a stout machine. My one concern is the need for a proper cutter head guard and dust collection arrangement, especially for when in thicknessing mode. It would likely be easy to fit up a normal Euro guard for jointer mode up top. (but there is still a need for dust collection)

Kevin Jenness
01-18-2015, 8:03 PM
Not familiar with the machine, but I will point out two possible drawbacks. It appears from your photos that the outfeed table is fixed, which makes setting the blades that much more finicky. A Byrd head would have to be precisely sized, though one likely could shim the pillow block to get the head level with the outfeed table.

As well, there appear to be neither a chipbreaker nor a pressure bar, which may compromise the thickness planing function. A test run will give you a read on that.

Peter Kelly
01-19-2015, 12:28 PM
You might try searching "pialla filo spessore combinata SICMA" to find out more. My first slider was a SICMA sliding table saw which was actually a re-badged Griggio machine so you might also search "pialla filo spessore Griggio".

Where is the J/P located? Argentia?

rodrigo sosa
01-19-2015, 7:10 PM
The Suvamatic looks sweet! Was thinking exactly as you about a euro guard Jim. Dust collection is another story, still need to see the j/p in person.

Peter im in Uruguay, the small dot in the map beside Argentina. Tried your suggestions with many variations, no luck yet.

Will visit seller by end of month if the thing is still available.
Asked price for an A3 31/41 hammer, no stock, back order only but boy it hurts, guess taxes in my country make everything soooo expensive (take the US list price and multiply it by two, yes.. that much really)
Cheers