PDA

View Full Version : Power for a double oven?

Jamie Buxton
01-17-2015, 6:24 PM
Some friends have in their kitchen a single wall-mounted oven and a big wall-mounted microwave above it. They're both in a plywood cabinet, not an actual house wall. They want to replace the two appliances with a double oven. I looked at the cabinet and said it seemed pretty likely. (I'd remove a filler panel and a rail, and likely an internal shelf.)
However, a day later, I'm wondering about the electric supply. The single oven likely has a 220 circuit at whatever amp capacity is usual for one oven. A double oven is going to need more, isn't it? Perhaps it is a second 220 circuit, or an upgrade to the existing circuit to handle more amps? Bottom line -- is the proposed upgrade going to require serious electrical work, in addition to some simple wood work?

Larry Frank
01-17-2015, 6:40 PM
If you get the model number, you can look up installation manual for that unit. That is the only way to know accurately.

Robert Delhommer Sr
01-17-2015, 8:20 PM
We used to have a double oven and it required a 220 volt 30 amp circuit. :)

Brian Tymchak
01-19-2015, 10:29 AM
However, a day later, I'm wondering about the electric supply. The single oven likely has a 220 circuit at whatever amp capacity is usual for one oven. A double oven is going to need more, isn't it? Perhaps it is a second 220 circuit, or an upgrade to the existing circuit to handle more amps? Bottom line -- is the proposed upgrade going to require serious electrical work, in addition to some simple wood work?

Can't say for any certainty what you need until you get the requirements on the unit. However, I highly doubt a 2nd circuit will be necessary. All double ovens I've seen are built as a single appliance, with one circuit required.

I did the same conversion (single oven +microwave -> dual ovens) when we moved into this house. The house was wired with a 40 amp circuit so I had no power issues. However, I had to build a new base for the unit inside the cabinet to handle the heaver weight. We also had to cut out the back of the cabinet. The new unit was 3/8" too deep.