PDA

View Full Version : Domain Registration advice

Tim Boger
01-17-2015, 6:15 PM
I'm thinking about posting a few items for sale on a couple of craft sites, I have a name in mind and need advice about protecting the business and domain names. Is it necessary?

For the foreseeable future, all I hope, is for sales to help offset material costs.

Thanks,
Tim

Rich Enders
01-17-2015, 7:33 PM
Necessary? Only the future knows.

Tony Joyce
01-17-2015, 9:27 PM
Domain names are only protected if you register them and pay the yearly fee(it's yours as longer as you pay). Otherwise anyone can register it. Business names are mostly the same(registered with state). Domain names are suppose to be unique(if registered). Business names not so much so. The same name could possibly be used by different people in different states.

Phil Thien
01-17-2015, 9:36 PM
Domain names are only protected if you register them and pay the yearly fee(it's yours as longer as you pay). Otherwise anyone can register it. Business names are mostly the same(registered with state). Domain names are suppose to be unique(if registered). Business names not so much so. The same name could possibly be used by different people in different states.

Agree w/ all this but I'll just add that locking-down a good domain name isn't too expensive and is a pretty good way (not guaranteed but not bad) to avoid conflicts with the actual business name down the road.

Tim Boger
01-17-2015, 9:49 PM
Agree w/ all this but I'll just add that locking-down a good domain name isn't too expensive and is a pretty good way (not guaranteed but not bad) to avoid conflicts with the actual business name down the road.

Phil / Tony ... thanks for the feedback.

Registering the business name I understand.

What exactly is the " Domain"? Would it be specifically the web address that I select for the business name?

Phil Thien
01-17-2015, 9:52 PM
Phil / Tony ... thanks for the feedback.

Registering the business name I understand.

What exactly is the " Domain"? Would it be specifically the web address that I select for the business name?

Correct. You can go to any registrar's site (like Godaddy.com, or networksolutions.com) and try different domain names to see if they're available. You type in something like "sawmillcreek.com" and they'll tell you sawmillcreek.com and sawmillcreek.org are unavailable, but sawmillcreek.tv (for example) is available. Once you find a domain name that works for you, you can register it.

Try to get a .com, most people are accustomed to typing in .com.

Tim Boger
01-17-2015, 10:06 PM
Correct. You can go to any registrar's site (like Godaddy.com, or networksolutions.com) and try different domain names to see if they're available. You type in something like "sawmillcreek.com" and they'll tell you sawmillcreek.com and sawmillcreek.org are unavailable, but sawmillcreek.tv (for example) is available. Once you find a domain name that works for you, you can register it.

Try to get a .com, most people are accustomed to typing in .com.

Thanks Phil, I get it now.

Can I get some recommendations regarding registrar's site ?? What makes one better than the other? ( Like Godaddy.com vs networksolutions.com )

Bert Kemp
01-17-2015, 11:10 PM
I use hover to register my domain name its $15 a year cheap I think its all so my business name.

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-18-2015, 1:37 PM
Godaddy & Network Solutions are two the big names in domain registration here in the US. They are both ICANN-Accredited. (ICANN link (https://www.icann.org/registrar-reports/accredited-list.html))

I personally use Godaddy for all of the domains I manage, yet I have several friends who use Network Solutions for their domains. We all have not had any problems when it comes to owning and renewing our domains. Godaddy is a bit cheaper than Network Solutions, but not so much that it would impact your budget.

When it comes to signing up for your own domain, all registrars will push you to purchase additional .org, .net, .biz, etc. during the checkout process. Don't waste your money on them. People are going to go to your .com address.

You do not need to sign up for their email or web site programs either. Everyone that I personally know who uses Godaddy or Network Solutions for their email provider or to build their web site has had challenges keeping their services running. You are better off finding a host provider to do that for you.

Tim Boger
01-18-2015, 1:44 PM
Thanks Mike ... all good info.

I did confirm a domain that I wanted, not the exact one but good for now.

Tim