PDA

View Full Version : Best brace bits for drilling at an angle

Michael Ray Smith
01-17-2015, 2:50 PM
I'm interested in views on this topic in general, but my immediate need is a 3/4 inch diameter hole at about 5-10 degrees off perpendicular. I have an Irwin pattern auger bit that I can try, but are there better choices?

Jim Koepke
01-17-2015, 3:08 PM
In using an auger bit, my experience has found it helps to start the hole with the bit at 90º just until the spurs make a full circle. Then back the bit out and set it to the desired angle to proceed. This method leaves a little less 'blow out' around the perimeter of the entry point.

Another way is to drill a small pilot hole for the lead screw on the auger bit to follow.

Some like spoon bits for off perpendicular drilling. Not sure if there is a source for a 3/4" spoon bit.

Experiment for a few minutes with a piece of scrap to see what works.

jtk

lowell holmes
01-17-2015, 3:10 PM
I don't know, but I would make several test bores before doing it for real.

I was in a Windsor chair class one time. IIRC, we used Irwin augers or equal. I seem to remember there was some tear out.

Mike Dunbar says to use a spoon bit.

Fitzhugh Freeman
01-17-2015, 3:53 PM
I read an article in few #43 that described the use of spoon bits for angled holes. Great article on the care and feeding of said bits, covers some mild but apparently important things one should do to make them really work. Haven't tried, only one I have is a foundling that appeared with some other tools and has a bashed in tip.
http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/article/spoon-bits.aspx
Some of that information is covered here:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/modifyingcliftonspoonbits.aspx

Looks like they run about $50-60 for that size, for example:
https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/EE-SB6355.XX/Chairmaker's_Spoon_Bits

What about clamping an angle piece of wood to the face so the drill enters that clamped piece at a 90* angle, somewhat like using a backing scrap to prevent blowing out the back, only clamped in front, and, well, for a different reason...?? Just a thought, painful as I find them to have.

Mel Miller
01-17-2015, 6:30 PM
Cooks patent auger bits were made for drilling angled holes. May have been made by different manufacturers. Check them out on Google.

Eric Brown
01-17-2015, 7:47 PM
Like other have said, spoon bits and/or Cook bits can bore at angles. Another option is to make a hole in a scrap board and then cut it to the angle you want. Clamp this to your work piece and use this hole as a guide.

Two sources for spoon bits: Lee Valley and Tools for Working Wood (Clico). Be prepared to clean up the edges on either of these makes. Some of the best were made by Fred Emhoff but they are rare and expensive.

Bob Glenn
01-17-2015, 9:00 PM
I always start the holes in my Windsor chair seats with a forstner bit, which leaves a clean entry, then follow up with an auger, or even a sharp spade bit. Lots of way to skin the cat. Experiment until you find what works for you. Bob

Michael Ray Smith
01-19-2015, 2:35 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!