PDA

View Full Version : OtherT Track Options

Allen (AJ) Breese
01-17-2015, 9:33 AM
Has any any one found any thing that works for t track that is a cheaper alternative over buy the stuff offered by the big company's. There has to be someone making it for the non woodworking world. I don't care about color.

Thanks
AJ

Jack Lemley
01-17-2015, 10:01 AM
I have bought some 1/4" rail from McMaster Carr I think and it was about 30% cheaper than the Incra, etc.

Jack

glenn bradley
01-17-2015, 10:55 AM
What are you using it for? At $20 with a set of knobs, Rockler's price does not seem out of line to me . . . when they're on sale like now.

The universal track fits 1/4" and 5/16" t-bolts as well as 1/4" hex heads which makes it my primary choice for my shop.

dan nelson
01-17-2015, 12:12 PM
just buy the t track bit and mill your own into the work table, kinda like slatwall but flat. and then buy of build the hold down accessory's

Kevin Losee
01-17-2015, 12:53 PM
I have bought some 1/4" rail from McMaster Carr I think and it was about 30% cheaper than the Incra, etc.

Jack
I bought mine from McMaster (last week) as well. $12.35 for a 48" track.

Bruce Page
01-17-2015, 1:16 PM
Peachtree has decent prices.
http://ptreeusa.com/ttrackproducts.htm#1018

Phil Thien
01-17-2015, 1:35 PM
just buy the t track bit and mill your own into the work table, kinda like slatwall but flat. and then buy of build the hold down accessory's

That is what I've been doing for years now, works great.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-18-2015, 10:41 AM
You may have seen my post about the t track table I am making. I ended up taking advantage of Rockler's $20 deal for 48" track with knobs- cheaper than the track without the knobs! I bought 24 of them, so now I have TONS of knobs!!!! (It's a big table and has t track on the sides as well as the top).

The reason I went with Rockler is their T-Track has slots for t bolts and 1/4" hex bolts. In my research, I found a great deal on eBay for track that just takes hex bolts if that is okay for you. Also as mentioned Peachtree has a great deal, and HhighlandWoodworking also has a good price on 1/4" hex bolt track. Pretty simple to change t bolts out for hex bolts if you already have t bolt accessories.

Keep us posted on what you do.

M Toupin
01-18-2015, 12:46 PM
I use Orange Aluminum, 48" for less than $8.

Mike

glenn bradley
01-18-2015, 2:21 PM
I use Orange Aluminum, 48" for less than $8.

Mike

That is a good price. If you don't want to use t-bolts (which with this track I see no advantage over 1/4" hex heads) and your mounting location can handle the depth, this would be your low cost option for sure. The 1/2" depth could be overcome for smaller jigs by epoxying into position in 3/4" stock. Definitely looks heavy duty. I already have an array of 5/16" and 1/4" fixtures so I prefer the head versatility but, this is an attractive option.

Edward Oleen
01-20-2015, 6:52 PM

I second (or third, or whatever) the motion. I would suggest that you use a straight bit, or do it on the table saw, before cutting the "t-track" bit: the shank of the t-track bit - or at least the one I have - has edges, so theoretically it could cut it's own path, but then there is the little problem of making the t-track straight...

I've done it on the router table, and also freehand using an edge guide on the router as well as using a temporary "fence" clamped or screwed or whatever to the object to be slotted to guide the router. If you are making a blind t-track - which is perfectly possible, and came in useful - you will, of course need a nice hole at least one end in order to be able to insert the bolt.

I wish I had a photo of it, but, alas, the unit is now at the other side of the country from me. I put the t-track in an oak "wall desk" unit. It was fun - we had to lay the unit on it's back to do the work.

ed vitanovec
03-09-2015, 1:20 PM
You can search T Track on Ebay and there is a company that sell the Track in several different lengths and quantities, the price is right too.

Marvin Hasenak
03-09-2015, 10:13 PM
I also use Orange Aluminum. Using the standard 1/4" bolts along with their T-track prices was the best deal I found for jig making. Being able to use the 1/4" bolts was the real deal maker, I can make my hold downs for next to nothing compared to buying the other T-track parts. Handles, knobs etc., I can make out of wood using homemade threaded inserts.
http://www.orangealuminum.com/t-slot-framing-systems-and-tracks/t-track.html

Phil Stone
03-10-2015, 2:10 AM
I also use Orange Aluminum. Using the standard 1/4" bolts along with their T-track prices was the best deal I found for jig making. Being able to use the 1/4" bolts was the real deal maker, I can make my hold downs for next to nothing compared to buying the other T-track parts. Handles, knobs etc., I can make out of wood using homemade threaded inserts.
http://www.orangealuminum.com/t-slot-framing-systems-and-tracks/t-track.html

Do you find, using normal bolts instead of T-bolts, that your jigs/fences bind up when trying to make adjustments to them? This was my experience with trying to use bolts in Lee Valley t-track. When I gave in and bought the T-bolts, my fences adjusted much more smoothly.

Fitzhugh Freeman
03-31-2015, 1:11 AM
I just saw this, tossing it out as another option but have not tried it:
Shop Fox D2725 T-Slot Track 36"
$7.76
http://toolsandmore.us/shop-fox-d2725-t-slot-track.aspx

Tslots.com make a really wide range of related stuff. I downloaded the catalog and price list last week and I think the prices were OK, though I have not properly compared. I mention it more as a source of ideas.