PDA

View Full Version : Foolproof mouse trap?

Charles Wiggins
01-17-2015, 9:25 AM
We have mice or one mouse at least. In the past we've had a lot of success with glue boards but this one isn't going for them, even baited. In fact we've found scat on the boards but no mouse.

Do you have a better idea? Cats are out BTW. I can't breath after 5 mins around one.

George Bokros
01-17-2015, 9:55 AM
I have some luck using cotton tied to a conventional mouse trap baited with bacon grease. Also had success using some of the poisons.

Jim Becker
01-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Professor Dr. SWMBO has been using electric (battery operated) traps for some time now with success. She actually has converted to the larger "rat" versions because they have been more reliable. She baits with peanut butter.

Myk Rian
01-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Tom Cat mouse traps. Without a doubt.
The trigger is a plastic pad that's large enough to actually put bait on. I wire a piece of a walnut to them, or a chunk of cheese.
Gets 'em good.

Jerry Bruette
01-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Google "pvc bait stations" and make them yourself.

I used to use a bucket trap at my cabin and switched to bait stations using 2 inch pvc. Place the bait stations outside, no sense inviting them inside to kill them. I use a bar bait called Jaguar made by Tomco, the same company that makes Myk's Tomcat mouse traps.

They eat the bait and disappear, no nasty traps to empty or reset.

Marc Seguin
01-17-2015, 11:07 AM
The bucket trap design with the ramp and the can on a wire has always had the best results for me. The other nice thing about it is that it can catch mouse after mouse without resetting.

My record is 34 mice in the loft of a barn in one night.

Brian Elfert
01-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Is the point of a glue board that the mouse sticks to it if they walk on it? I am surprised a mouse could walk on it and not get stuck.

I believe I have conquered my mouse problem, but I will never say never. I killed three in the first week and none for nearly two months now. During renovations the house was heated, but had no siding so there were holes the mice could get in. There do not appear to be any holes for the mice to enter now, but I can't be certain on that.

Rich Engelhardt
01-17-2015, 4:14 PM
One of our tenants used one of the electronic plug in devices that aren't supposed to work.

She said the thing worked fantastic! Got rid of the mice, spiders, centipedes and other assorted bugs.

Go figure...!

Brian Elfert
01-17-2015, 4:33 PM
I stayed in a cabin at a Scout camp for a week some years back. The guy who was living there all summer made it a point when I got there to tell me not to unplug the electronic rodent repellent devices. Obviously he thought they worked. He said the cabin would be full of mice otherwise.

Larry Frank
01-17-2015, 6:48 PM
use standard traps with ppeanut butter and bird seed pressed in. Works great.

I also have had luck with one called "The Better Mousetrap". They work well and less chance getting yourself.

Wade Lippman
01-17-2015, 9:24 PM
I tried everything and nothing is better than the standard spring traps. Rotate cheese and peanut butter.
Little cubes of poison seem to work best though.
Glue traps are completely worthless.

The only sure fire method is to move.

Clarence Martin
01-18-2015, 9:39 AM
DeCon Rat poison works great !! Or just buy some traps. Are you dealing with Mice or Rats ? A # 0 or #1 Single Longspring trap will catch them every time!

Steve Rozmiarek
01-18-2015, 9:59 AM
I like smart traps. I've got one now, a 6# black and tan miniature dachshund. She is what mice have nightmares about. Makes the lazy cat look pretty worthless, and she's sitting here helping me type this. Pretty awesome mousetrap. :)

Brian Elfert
01-18-2015, 10:24 AM
I caught three mice in my house right after I moved in. Two with glue traps and one with a normal trap. For me glue traps are not worthless, but certainly not everyone has had the same experience.

Wade Lippman
01-18-2015, 11:04 AM
I like smart traps. I've got one now, a 6# black and tan miniature dachshund. She is what mice have nightmares about. Makes the lazy cat look pretty worthless, and she's sitting here helping me type this. Pretty awesome mousetrap. :)

My toller didn't even notice dead mice. But she is very pretty.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-18-2015, 2:13 PM
My toller didn't even notice dead mice. But she is very pretty.
Very pretty! I didn't know what a toller was until just now, classy pup!

Jim Matthews
01-18-2015, 8:33 PM
Little cubes of poison seem to work best though.

I do not recommend this method.
We had a small colony that had infested our stove.

They were nesting in the insulation, around the oven.
Once poisoned, they returned to the blanket to expire.

The first time we fired up the oven,
the smell was overpowering.

We were forced to dispose of the oven.

Live traps may be less effective,
but you won't have problems finding
the mice for disposal.

Ralph Butts
01-18-2015, 8:53 PM
Professor Dr. SWMBO has been using electric (battery operated) traps for some time now with success. She actually has converted to the larger "rat" versions because they have been more reliable. She baits with peanut butter.

+1 on the peanut butter baited traps.

Justin Ludwig
01-19-2015, 7:07 AM
Tootsie roll baited traps. Peanut nutter, like cheese, is soft and can be licked off without triggering the trap.

A "rolling mouse trap" works great, but not if you don't have the stomach to kill/drown the mouse after caught.

Rick Moyer
01-19-2015, 7:56 AM
Tootsie roll baited traps. Peanut nutter, like cheese, is soft and can be licked off without triggering the trap.

A "rolling mouse trap" works great, but not if you don't have the stomach to kill/drown the mouse after caught.
gum drops too for the same reasons.

Mike Circo
01-19-2015, 9:08 AM
I have had great success with these traps baited with peanut butter.

http://www.amazon.com/Ortho-0321110-Defense-Press-2-Pack/dp/B003YL4MG0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1421676238&sr=8-11&keywords=mouse+traps+no+touch&pebp=1421676257518&peasin=B003YL4MG0

You can set the trap and release the dead mouse without getting your hands anywhere near it. Has a little cup for the bait. Strong spring dispatched the little pests quickly. A great improvement on the old fashioned spring trap.

John Huds0n
01-19-2015, 10:46 AM

Rat Zapper!
http://www.amazon.com/Rat-Zapper-RZC001-Classic/dp/B002665ZTC/ref=pd_bxgy_lg_img_y

Not cheap, but it works. A little peanut butter in a bottle cap for bait. There are two metal plates on the floor they have to go across to get to the bait. When they touch the second plate it completes the circuit. Since it is enclosed, I don't have to worry about my dog getting to it

Kent A Bathurst
01-19-2015, 11:04 AM
As of sometime last night, the classic Victor wood base with wire snap, baited with peanut butter, still works great.

One more off to Varmint Heaven.

Critter made the mistake of giving me a glimpse of his tail a couple nights ago. I'll check for a few days to see if any of his friends came with him in from the cold.

Hmmm......the rat that came in from the cold? Wonder if his name was Alec?

Mike Dowell
01-20-2015, 6:54 PM
Little tidbit for those soft-types... Snap traps do NOT kill quickly. Had a mouse problem and couldn't catch the little jerk. Had to see how he was getting tied on bait off and away so stuck a little video cam at the trap. As luck had it, got him that night and replayed the footage. Little bugger kicked for 3 hours. Kinda made me feel bad but then I went to grab a slice of bread and found mouse crap in the the bag. I probably ate a few turds and that made me mad enough to not care.

Justin Ludwig
01-21-2015, 7:27 AM
I probably ate a few turds and that made me mad enough to not care.

Bahahahaha!

Dave Zellers
01-21-2015, 9:43 AM
One of our tenants used one of the electronic plug in devices that aren't supposed to work.

She said the thing worked fantastic! Got rid of the mice, spiders, centipedes and other assorted bugs.

Go figure...!
This is my experience as well. I have 4- 2 in the attic set to mouse frequency and 2 on the 2nd floor set to spider frequency.

I know many scoff at the idea but they are working for me.

Phil Thien
01-21-2015, 10:56 AM
This thread explains why the glue traps I see in offices I sometimes visit are always empty.

The only thing they seem to catch is the fingers of people that don't know what they are.

People have put their fingers on them, gotten stuck, and then asked me what they are.

I tell them they're IQ tests.

Myk Rian
01-21-2015, 11:59 AM
I tell them they're IQ tests.
There ya go. :)

John Huds0n
01-21-2015, 12:21 PM
Those electronic "zapper" type traps may be quite a bit more expensive than the "victor" type - but they work. I bought the one I have when I discovered something had got into my garage and into my car and chewed a hole in the leather seat! problem solved