PDA

View Full Version : Bench Top Drill Press

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2005, 2:17 PM
I have been looking at table top drill presses. The one I have now only has 5 3/4" from chuck to table. When you put a vise on the table you barely have clearance between the piece and the bit. I got it for $25 brand new because it didn't have a chuck. Called the company and they sent me one for free. It has served me well up until now. Now that I got my shop set up pretty well I would like to get a larger capacity drill press to use for my drum sanders. I have looked at the Delta DP200 which has 1/4 hp motor and has 14 1/8" from chuck to table. Amazon has it for $97. The other is a DP300 which has a 1/3 hp motor and 14 1/8" from chuck to table but is $169. My better half says keep it under $200. Most of my drilling is light metal such as brass and thin steel. Most is drilling wood but would like to be able to put drum sanders in it for sanding. I will also make a table for it with a dust collector port.

I would like to hear what others are using and any info on units good or bad. Thanks again.

Bernie

John Miliunas
07-24-2005, 3:01 PM
Bernie, from what I have seen, the Delta's are pretty nice machines but, have you ever considered used? If you're not in a great rush, take some time and cruise some of the classifieds in your area. You might be able to score a floor standing used one for two bills or less.:) Typically, they'll have more HP and be more versatile. Also, I believe the jury is still out on whether it's a good idea to use one a lot for drum sanding, as you're putting perpendicular pressure (horizontally) on something which is really designed for vertical pressure. A heavier duty floor unit may be able to withstand that type of use a bit better.:) :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2005, 10:34 PM
John,

My only problem with a floor model is room. I have everything now mobile but still room in my shop is at a premium. As far as using the drum sanders, it would not be everyday deal or used on a commercial basis. Just for hobby work. There are just times when a drum sander would be nice for a piece here or there. With the unit I have now I can't use a drill vise because there is not enough room with only 5 3/4" from chuck to table. Also saw a shop fox that is a oscillating drill press in 8" and 12". Only problem I can't find any feedback on them anywhere. Anyway thanks John for the info. I didn't think about the horizontal pressure being put on it. I may find a place to put a floor model if I think about it for awhile.

Bernie

Frank Hagan
07-25-2005, 12:59 AM
I found a used one on eBay ... so this is kind of a gloat ... which is a heavy duty cast iron beast in really good condition. Ended up paying $66 for it. Sometimes used is a great way to go.

Some of the older benchtop machines are top notch machines, but you have to be prepared to repair them if they are not running well. I got lucky with this one, as it works like a champ. I'll strip it down and repaint it after my next project is done, but for now it is being used.