PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaw puzzle on none square shapes

Mark Ward
01-17-2015, 6:39 AM
I know there has been numerous posts about creating jigsaw puzzles but I can't find one to help sort what I need.
I want to be able to create jigsaw puzzles but want it to work on none square/rectangular shaped objects, for example a circle or a letter of the alphabet. So for example on a letter of the alphabet it would still retain the straight edge on letters rather than having the cut out bits in it.
I know I could just cut a spare jigsaw shape out and then but my object from within that larger jigsaw shape but this would probably mean that I would lose edges if there were "inner" connecting pices along a specific line (I hope all that makes sence).
Does anyone have any suggestions or a programme that will help me with this?

Mike Null
01-17-2015, 6:57 AM
I'm not sure I understand what you want to do but here's my suggestion. A shot in the dark-----take your letter shape and powerclip the puzzle to it. Then trace and vector cut.

Here is a screen shot and it may be possible to just powerclip and cut rather than tracing.

Glen Monaghan
01-18-2015, 10:01 AM
I thought the same thing, Mike, but your example shows that you'd want to do some additional work to eliminate/merge some of the small pieces around the edges where a full piece got mostly power clipped away. You wouldn't want just a tab or tiny remnant of a piece as a separate puzzle part, it should be merged into its nearest full neighbor.

Mike Null
01-19-2015, 8:35 AM
Glen

I noticed that as well and it can be done individually. It would be lot of work though.

Mark Ward
01-20-2015, 12:55 PM
Hi Mike, thanks for the reply (sorry about my slow reply).
Yes that is what I'm after but as said making sure there weren't any small part inner or outer connector pieces was the problem. I hadn't thought of merging them to eliminate them so good suggestion too Glen. As feared, there isn't a quick fix then and it will require manually editiing to deal with the small connector pieces that are on the edge.
At leats I know there isn't an quicker simpler way that I didn't know of now :)

Scott Shepherd
01-20-2015, 1:37 PM
Mark, do you use the Smartfill tool? If not, it would make that job pretty easy, when done like Mike showed. Just SmartFill the piece and the little tab around it, weld the two and done.

Mark Ward
01-20-2015, 2:39 PM
Mark, do you use the Smartfill tool? If not, it would make that job pretty easy, when done like Mike showed. Just SmartFill the piece and the little tab around it, weld the two and done.
You sir are a star, just had a mess with Smartfill (first time) and it looks very easy to get done what I want, easyt o select and delete the odd out of place curve or line so that the shape keeps a constant outside line like I want.

Scott Shepherd
01-20-2015, 2:51 PM
Great Mark! I think Smart Fill is one of the best tools in CorelDraw. It's by far my most used when creating just about anything.

Ruben Salcedo
01-21-2015, 1:37 AM
There is a plugin for Photoshop CS6 and under that can do odd shapes and export vector paths http://www.avbros.com/gallery.html?t=plugins&g=puzzlepro&p=A