PDA

View Full Version : finishing large batch of pen sections

Stan Calow
01-16-2015, 9:08 PM
I am looking for a shortcut to finishing a large number of pen sections in batches. I have about 75 slimline pens to do, and don't want to do the finishing one pen at a time. Any good ways to do this? My normal finish is CA glue, wet sand using those acrylic sanding pads. But I could use another finish if there's a better way to do it. Did not find anything searching.

Thanks

Doug W Swanson
01-16-2015, 9:16 PM
NotNot sure if there is a faster or better finish but you could finish the pens in stages. Finish the CA on them all, then sand them all and then buff them all....

Shawn Pachlhofer
01-16-2015, 9:22 PM
NotNot sure if there is a faster or better finish but you could finish the pens in stages. Finish the CA on them all, then sand them all and then buff them all....

that's what I do

John Terefenko
01-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Depends on what type finish you want to put on them. You can dip them using a polyurethane. You can spray them using a lacquer. Or you can polish them with just wood polish. There is no fast way to apply CA. If you want to use CA then do an assembly line system. You are in control. Ask yourself what is the plating on the slimline?? Is it a durable plating then a durable finish will be needed. Don't want the finish to wear off before the plating. Now if the plating is just 24K then any old finish will do.Plating will wear off before the finish.

Ken Burner
01-17-2015, 8:43 AM
Cap'n Eddie Castelin has a YouTube video about spraying CA. I can imagine a production line setup using a careful application of this idea.

Ken

Paul Williams
01-17-2015, 10:50 AM
Last year I did a batch of 30 pens for a Vietnam veterans group. I placed the tubes on a steel rod (wood dowel would work) wrapped with enough tape to make a snug fit. I placed a cardboard box on the lathe with openings cut for the drive center and the live center, which were wrapped with tape. I mounted the rod with 10 tubes on the lathe and sprayed them with rattle can lacquer. I don't think I spent more than an hour including set up finishing the 30 pens.

Stan Calow
01-17-2015, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. It was finishing one set of pen tubes at a time while on the lathe that I was looking to avoid. Will give spraying and using a long dowel a shot. Video helps.