PDA

View Full Version : Engraving speed CO2 vs Fiber on aluminum tube

Casey Parsons
01-16-2015, 6:27 PM
Hello everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster. The machine shop that I work for laser engraves logos on 6061 aluminum tubing with our 50 watt Epilog Mini using Cermark. This process is very slow, around 7 minutes per part with a speed of 20 and power of 100. I have attached a picture of the logo that we are doing for reference.
We do other marking on other metals as well and and the purchase of a fiber laser has been tossed around to help speed up the processes. I would like to see if anyone could give me an idea of what the speed difference could possibly be going from the CO2 with Cermark to a fiber laser. The logo is roughly 1.8" tall by 3.1" long. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Glen Monaghan
01-16-2015, 9:27 PM
I hope you aren't engraving it the way you've pictured it (i.e., engraving across the short dimension). It would be significantly faster rotated 90 degrees so that you are engraving across the widest dimension...

Gary Hair
01-16-2015, 9:32 PM
Casey - send me a vector file and I'll run a test for you. My email is in my profile.

Gary

Hello everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster. The machine shop that I work for laser engraves logos on 6061 aluminum tubing with our 50 watt Epilog Mini using Cermark. This process is very slow, around 7 minutes per part with a speed of 20 and power of 100. I have attached a picture of the logo that we are doing for reference.
We do other marking on other metals as well and and the purchase of a fiber laser has been tossed around to help speed up the processes. I would like to see if anyone could give me an idea of what the speed difference could possibly be going from the CO2 with Cermark to a fiber laser. The logo is roughly 1.8" tall by 3.1" long. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.