PDA

View Full Version : Which machine to buy next??

Brian Hale
07-24-2005, 2:01 PM
Having just delivered some cabinets for a customer (who paid me in $50's :cool: ) it's time to put some more $$$$ into equipment.

I'm considering:
A 6" x 89" wide belt sander
Heavy duty drill press
A "does everything for you" router table

Currently i have a Bridgewood 10" left tilt cabinet saw, Bridgewood 6" jointer, Bridgewood 15" planer, Bridgewood Dust collector, 10-20 Performax drum sander, Bridgewood mortising machine, 12" Craftsman band saw(fine for light duty work, NOT for resaw) and a Shopsmith MkV.

Most of my work is case work (buffet, china cabinets, dressers, etc.) Budget is ~$800

Which would you go for??

Thanks
Brian :)

Scott Coffelt
07-24-2005, 2:04 PM
I would opt for a edge sander or bigger bandsaw.

John Renzetti
07-24-2005, 2:21 PM
Hi Brian, Edgesander. And since you already live relatively close to them and have bought machinery from them before, just go right over to Wilke and pick it up.
take care,
John

Brian Hale
07-24-2005, 2:31 PM
Thanks!

I'm leaning towards sander myself but since i've never had or used any of the three i'm unsure which way to go.

And yes, no matter which one i choose, It'll be a Friday afternoon drive to the Wilke Toy Store :D

Jeff A. Smith
07-25-2005, 1:13 AM
If you get an edge sander, be careful when using it. I know it sounds goofy, but (knock wood) the only two injuries I've had in my woodshop have been on my edge sander.

Once, while sanding a short piece of wood on the miter table I had my fingers pointed toward the direction the belt was moving, and when the piece of wood "caught" and suddenly disappeared, my fingers were jammed by the belt. I lost a couple of fingernails, and there was enough blood to almost make me sick. The ends of two fingers were promptly sanded-off. It was nothing that didn't heal, and it didn't require stitches or a trip to the hospital, but it hurt like crazy. Lesson learned -- when sanding short pieces, point your fingers with the belt's direction -- that way, if the piece suddenly disappears, all you get is some smooth fingertips.

The other injury was less severe, and involved (again) a piece of wood -- this one about 36" x 24", and a "tablesaw kickback-like" incident. In both cases, I was doing something I shouldn't have been -- 1 holding my fingers in the wrong direction and 2, sanding a large piece without end support. But the danged things are handy as all get out, and I love mine, even though I give it the "healthy respect" it deserves now.

Also, depending on the size you get, the danged things are easy to tip over, and require some kind of attachment to the floor.

Jeff Smith
Athens, AL

Keith Christopher
07-25-2005, 2:39 AM
Brian,

You still got that shopsmith? :) Having used your band saw and seeing the work you do (all excellent !) I would get a band saw. You certainly need a bandsaw upgrade. Are these the cool dVd cabinets ? I also noted there is no pics and I KNOW you have the photo thing going on there. ;)

Keith

Brian Hale
07-25-2005, 8:08 PM
Jeff, some very good safety points you brought up and i'll be keeping them in mind as i use the sander. As for attaching it the floor, i was intending to put it on a mobile base. Think i'll have a problem with that?

Keith, Keith, Keith.......... Yes, it's those CD / DVD storage cabinets i was working on 8 months ago and I just delivered them last Sunday. The customer liked them so much he gave me an additional $600. I'll post some picks a bit later, but, as a teaser, here's a shot of one of the 2 units.

Bob Yarbrough
07-25-2005, 9:56 PM
A nice set of HAND planes and spoke shaves!?!

Steve Clardy
07-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Edge Sander. If you do a lot of doors, you will really like it.
I do cabinets and staircases, and couldn't hardly get along without my Jet 6x89 sander.

Jim Hager
07-25-2005, 10:19 PM
I'll cast my vote for the edge sander. I use the dickens out of mine doing rp doors and drawer headers. I never had a decent one until I got this General International that I have now and I don't know how I got along without it. I have mine on a mobile base but seldom if ever move it unless it's clean up day. That ain't very often around here.:D Sure seems like you are in need of a bandsaw though. Just gotta weigh the pros and cons but I've always thought that you should get something that you don't have over a replacement for another. Here I am giving that advise and I just replaced my old lathe last week and ordered a second power feeder today.:rolleyes:

Keith Christopher
07-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Brian,

Hope I didn't offend. The cabinets look AWESOME. VERY nice. I still say get a new bandsaw. :)

Keith

Mark Singer
07-26-2005, 12:46 AM
A band saw!

Brian Hale
07-26-2005, 3:55 AM
No offense taken Keith!! Now if i could only spell your name right...:rolleyes: :o

A bandsaw is on the list (PBS 440 or 540) but the price is a bit higher then i can afford right now and i'd hate to settle for less then i want.;)

So far it looks like the sander is the way to go. :D :cool:

Steve Wargo
07-26-2005, 6:23 AM
A Band Saw

Gail O'Rourke
07-26-2005, 7:25 AM
I love your cabinet...and I have never had a client pay me extra, good for you.

I would get the router table and all that goes with it... good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

Keith Christopher
07-26-2005, 2:11 PM
Wait until you see how he laid out the inside of the cabinet and it's adjustability. A very creative and useful design.

Brian Hale
07-26-2005, 4:13 PM
Gail, Thank you! I've browsed your website and seen your work and i can only hope to reach your level of product quality and design.

Keith.... Now you've gone and done it! I'll have to post some pics now!! :p