PDA

View Full Version : Carbide tool users......any thoughts on Rockler's carbide tipped turning tools?

George Farra
01-16-2015, 3:28 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to turning and would like to begin my journey with carbide tipped tools. Simply as a means to keep my initial costs down. I don't have a slow speed grinder and want to make sure I like turning before I make additional investments in HSS tools and a means to sharpen them.

Rockler has their carbide tipped tools on sale, however there are no user reviews on their website. Has anyone tried them? Looking at the pictures, it looks like the tool shafts are round versus Easy Wood square design. Since these work more like scrapers I am wondering if the square tool shafts result in safer use as they would register better against the tool rest. unless I am wrong, one should not rotate a carbide tipped tool when turning like you would a HSS, correct??

Any feedback would be appreciated considering the sale makes my entry fee into the turning world more palatable

Thank you

George

Stan Smith
01-16-2015, 4:19 PM
I have Harrison Specialty tools and some Easy Wood tools. The shafts on these are both square. I think your intuition is correct about square being rested more firmly on the tool rest. However, there are some rounded carbide tools that have to be rotated during use including the Hunter Osprey and Harrison smoother tools. The Harrison tools are HSS rather than aluminum like the Easy Wood tools are. I'm no engineer but I would think the HSS are stronger than aluminum. I know I like the heft of the HSS better. I've never had any problems with the EWT carbide tools though. They are lighter than HSS if that's something you would like. A couple of my EWTs were over $100 each, but they are 2 that I use a lot. OTOH, I have bought some nice Thompson gouges fore less than $50 each and turned my own handles for them. If you really want to save some $$, you might want to look for posts on here/youtubes of turners who have made their own carbide tools. Speaking for myself, I don't have the talent or equipment to do that. YMMV. All of that being said, I've never bought any turning tools from Rockler, but I have bought other things from them.

George Farra
01-16-2015, 6:07 PM
Hi Stan

I checked out Harrison on your recommendation. They definately appear to be stout. I like the interchangeable handle concept too. Priced similar to Rocklers, so im gonna give the Harrisons a try

George

James Combs
01-16-2015, 7:48 PM
Just took a look at the Rockler tools, really nice looking tools, noticed that at least the square radius-ed tool has a flat milled on the bottom of the shaft. Shouldn't be any problem sitting square on a tool rest.

Edit:
Went back and checked the round cutter version, it also has a flat bottom.

Dok Yager
01-16-2015, 8:37 PM
You will like the Harrison tools. I have four of his tools as well as two handles of his and really like them. I also have a handle from Thompson tools and like it a lot too. I just got one of his gouges and it seems to be very nice. The only Rockler carbide I have is the small set of turning tools for finials and small project as well as detail work.

David Bassett
01-17-2015, 3:13 PM
... rather than aluminum like the Easy Wood tools are. I'm no engineer but I would think the HSS are stronger than aluminum....

I've seen this claim several times, but it is contradicted by EWT themselves:

"The Easy Rougher tool bars are CNC machined from solid stainless steel bar stock. Easy Start Rougher tool bars are made of black oxide steel." ( http://www.easywoodtools.com/products/easy-rougher2/ )

George Farra
01-17-2015, 3:55 PM
thanks guys. I ordered my lathe this morning....Rikon 70-220VSR. WC tells me it ships on monday!! I did some online comparison between EWT, Harrison, and Rockler and they all see to be good tools. Im looking at the mid sized tools from Harrison which seem to compare with Rockler and EWT mini tools.

Do you guys use the diamond shaped tool as a parting tool or should I pick up a separate tool. I see EWT is the only one to offer a tool set up for parting

Thanks

George

Stan Smith
01-17-2015, 4:35 PM
Like I said, I'm no engineer. However none of my easy wood tools will stick to the magnetic bars on my tool rack. They look like aluminum and since they are not magnetic......304532

My easy wood tools are in the lower rack on the right. The tall middle tool is a Berger tool and not made by easy wood. You can see that there is no magnetic bar to attach them to. The tools are held in place with a little piece of wood on a screw.

@ George.....I've used the EWT detailers as parting tools. The work quite well but need to have a wider cut. I did buy the EWT carbide parting tool which is my favorite parting tool. It doesn't replace my thin parting tool though when I want narrower cuts. If money is a concern, you might want to get a less expensive parting tool than the EWT one.

Thom Sturgill
01-17-2015, 4:46 PM
Stan, most Stainless is relatively non-magnetic. Some magnetism can occur when the material, like a kitchen sink for example, becomes work-hardened changing the molecular structure. CNC machining lubricant should keep the stainless cool enough to prevent much magnetic permeability from forming.

Bill White
01-17-2015, 5:44 PM
My carbide is from Capt'n Eddie. He's had some health probs lately, but I'll bet the cutters are still available. I've made most of my bars and handles. WAY less expensive that way. Check him out. I think that his wife is doing the shipping.
Bill

Stan Smith
01-17-2015, 6:51 PM
Stan, most Stainless is relatively non-magnetic. Some magnetism can occur when the material, like a kitchen sink for example, becomes work-hardened changing the molecular structure. CNC machining lubricant should keep the stainless cool enough to prevent much magnetic permeability from forming.

Thanks, Thom. Now I know why the magnetism doesn't work. Also am happier that they are steel rather than aluminum.

David Bassett
01-17-2015, 6:52 PM
thanks guys. I ordered my lathe this morning....Rikon 70-220VSR. WC tells me it ships on monday!! I did some online comparison between EWT, Harrison, and Rockler and they all see to be good tools. Im looking at the mid sized tools from Harrison which seem to compare with Rockler and EWT mini tools.

Do you guys use the diamond shaped tool as a parting tool or should I pick up a separate tool. I see EWT is the only one to offer a tool set up for parting

Thanks

George

I assume you mean the EWT "Detailer" when you say diamond shaped tool. I don't think I'd want to part-off with that. I'm sure the dedicated EWT parting tool works fine, but I'm not sure it really provides an advantage over a traditional parting tool in HSS, (or better.) I was taught with a traditional diamond parting tool. It's cross-section is diamond shaped giving the cutting edge support without as much chance of binding. They don't seem to dull as fast as gouges or skews and are much easier to sharpen. I think you could easily use a flat sharpening stone and wouldn't need a grinder if you wanted to save the bucks on this tool. At least that's what I did. I picked up the Sorby 3/16" tool when Craft Supplies USA had them on sale. (I used an older Wood River one in class, which worked fine, but didn't like the handle on the current WR model as well as the Sorby one. So I splurged a little. But hey it was on sale! :-) )

Robert Henrickson
01-17-2015, 7:42 PM

You need a true parting tool. The EWT diamond will not do the job of a parting tool. This is one tool where you can economize. Any standard parting tool will do the simple jobs. You do not need to spend what the EWT parting tool will cost. And the standard parting tool is can easily be sharpened without a grinder, and will cost a third to a half as much. I briefly used an EWT parting tool while doing a demo at Woodcraft. It cut well, but I do as well with a cheaper parting tool.

Thom Sturgill
01-17-2015, 8:53 PM
If you have a grinder (and you should) its easy to make your own parting tool. Capt Eddie has a video (of course) but basically take a saws-all blade and grind off the teeth, shape the end, and make a handle.

Bruce Lewane
01-19-2015, 8:37 AM
I have EWT rougher and finisher, a Harrison shear cutting finisher and a couple of Hunter Ospreys. They all do what they are advertised to do. The only advantage to EWT is that replacement cutters are widely available at much cheaper prices (than EWT) from Captain Eddie and others.