PDA

View Full Version : restoring Jet JTAS-10 and need advise on bearings.

tony mashadi
01-15-2015, 10:36 PM
Hello-
So I've been kinda restoring my right tilt jtas-10 3hp jet table saw that I purchased used. I figured I change the bearings while I'm at it. I posted the question to the previous thread I had about my fence and Mr. David Kumm suggested to use SKF explorer. They sound great and I want to get good bearings. Now my first issue is finding those. Searched the net but nothing for skf explorer. Only found a single one on eBay but I need 2. Am I searching wrong?

My original arbor bearings are 6203-zz (or 6203-2z as skf calls them). And it seems the explorers are spherical as oppose to mine that I thing are ball. Dont know if there is a difference?!

So, I would love to here your opinion on the issue and a source for them.
Also should I change the motor bearings too? Should I open and clean inside the motor?

The saw is about 13 or so years old as I think its the very first jets that are white as oppose to blue. It has been well used too so while it seems to work OK as far as I know, I would love to restore it well.

Finally if changing the motor bearing is a good idea how can I find out the part number for that bearing as jet manual doesn't talk about inside motor parts.

I thought it would be cool if my bearing had more tolerance for sideways force as I thought it could help with coping or god forbid sanding disk:)

Thank you all in advance for sharing your opinions.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Tony, are your bearings bad now? Check MSC.com for SKF bearings. Yes, your number is ball, the explorers are spherical. Honestly I don't think it makes a bit of difference on something like a tablesaw, but thats just me.

Leo Graywacz
01-16-2015, 12:48 AM
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ball-bearing-p-434418.html

Or just call up Jet and talk with one of their techs. That's what I did when I needed replacement arbor bearings on my CTAS-10

Replacement parts can be ordered directly from their Customer Service Department by calling 800-274-6848

tony mashadi
01-16-2015, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys.
Originally I started thinking about this as my runout was a bit high so I figured I change the bearings and if needed arbor. Now I will have to check that run out again as I think I might have not done a goodjob the first time. But thats how this whole thing started.

I didn't go the Jet route cause I learned the bearings are really the same (based on model number) as you can get anywhere. You just pay about 4 to 5 times as much when buying from the tool manufacturer. I am probably overthinking this and perhaps a table saw is not percise enough and doesnt push the bearings to the point of needing top notch bearings. I guess I can't help myself wanting the better parts if theprice difference is small. Although it might not mean much.

Leo Graywacz
01-16-2015, 12:43 PM
I paid $13ea for the bearings. I wasn't complaining.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-16-2015, 1:37 PM
Tony, don't let me talk you out of something you want to try. I get it if you just want the higher grade bearings.

That being said though, a bearing is a fail or not proposition generally. The saw will run exactly the same with any bearing in good condition. Personally, I'd spend the 15 bucks (with shipping) and go with ones from jet or MSc. They appear to be the same price. I'd only spend that money though if the bearings were bad though.

Contrary to popular belief, bearings last a very long time. Like thousands of hours if not abused. A table saw is a pretty sweet life for a bearing. I've replaced hundreds of bearings in my job, and I've very rarely seen one fail for anything other than a compromised seal letting the grease out.

To put that into perspective in my life, with the time I spend with the the table saw running, the bearings in my shop will last well into the next owners sons lifetime.

Woodworking is really a low impact use of bearings on the hobby scale.

tony mashadi
01-16-2015, 3:07 PM
Thank you both. Steve, I'm sure you are right. Perhaps I will check the arbor again and see if the runout is caused by that and if so will leave the bearings alone. Whatever I know comes from forums such as this one and since I had heard some saying to just change the bearings on an old saw or that manufacturer bearings are low quality, I started down this road (along with my runout issue). Anyways, thanks for your advice. If anything, I guess I stop wasting time over finding the best bearing in the world ;)

Leo Graywacz
01-16-2015, 3:27 PM
Mine absolutely had to be changed. The were screaming. I had a slight blade shake that I helped with a 5" blade plate stiffener. After the bearings were swapped out of course there was no screaming anymore, but I no longer needed to use the plate to stabilize the blade. Took me years to get around to it. But when people complained about the noise coming from your tablesaw, you know it's time.

Don Jarvie
01-16-2015, 8:49 PM
Tony, remove the belts and spin the arbor. If it spins freely and doesn't make a grinding sound leave them along. Unless the saw was used heavily and abused over the past 13 years the bearing should be fine, same with the motor.

As for the run out. Get a dial indicator and place it on the arbor and turn the arbor. If you see the dial move mark the spot and then file the arbor in that spot so its flat all around. Sometimes the arbor washer can get out of whack.

Before you do anything I would take the top off and clean everything and set the saw up according to the manual. Put a good blade on it and try it out and go from there. You might find all it needed was a cleaning and blade.

Harold Weaver
01-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Call Lynne at Accurate Bearing. Great service, even better pricing and fast shipping. If they don't have them, then they don't exist. tel:800-323-6548. You will need the numbers off your existing bearings and use dial calipers to measure the width, diameter, and bore. You can Google them on the net as well.
Harold

rufus ingle
01-24-2021, 7:40 PM
Hello I'm a jtas10 blue model owner and I need a table top for my cabinet saw. The table top is obsolete to buy so a used one is my only option. I have search every where and it very hard to find so far. I am willing to consider any offer's that may come around.
Any help to find the jet top or another whole saw would be great, thanks.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-24-2021, 8:57 PM
Hello I'm a jtas10 blue model owner and I need a table top for my cabinet saw. The table top is obsolete to buy so a used one is my only option. I have search every where and it very hard to find so far. I am willing to consider any offer's that may come around.
Any help to find the jet top or another whole saw would be great, thanks.

Rufas, good idea to start a new thread rather than post in one that's 6 years old usually. It'll get more input. Are you talking about the cast iron top or the melamine? Just make one if it's the melamine.