PDA

View Full Version : Now for something totally different! (chainsaws)

Keith Hankins
01-15-2015, 9:31 PM
Ok, I'm acquiring 4.5 acres of land to build my retirement home back in VA. I've eyed some trees that got to come down and they will be milled. It's been years since I needed one. I want a good Chainsaw and willing to pay for it. Just curious if anybody out there is still in the game and can comment. Is STIHL saws still cock of the walk?

Jim Becker
01-15-2015, 9:40 PM
Yea, you want a Stihl or Husqi for both longevity and ease of use. (including easy starting in any weather)

I had to pull out my saw (a Stihl FarmBoss) a week and a half ago after a big ash tree got toppled by the wind over the driveway. It hadn't been run in months...since the warm fall weather...but started in about five pulls.

I will also mention that I wish I would have bought this saw the first time...it would have cost less. ;)

BTW, please be really careful felling big trees yourself. If need be, hire out the felling and leave the cutting up for yourself. Much safer that way.

Bob Michaels
01-15-2015, 9:51 PM
I'm satisfied with mine, but then I don't fell trees. I just had a bunch of large trees taken down and stihl is all these guys use and they do this stuff for a living. At 71 I let the "young and foolish" do that kind of thing. i have a Stihl Farm Boss model for cutting bowl blanks up to about 20" diameter and a small Stihl electric for in-shop use. Husqvarna is another good choice but I have no experience with the brand. Better yet, if this is a retirement home then you may consider paying one of those "young and foolish" people to do this for you. Probably none of my business...just something you may wish to consider. Save yourself for the fun stuff. This kind of thing gets old fast. Enjoy your pending retirement.

mark kosse
01-15-2015, 10:01 PM
You probably opened a can of worms here but here goes. I don't think you can beat the echo 590 for power and price. It'll be a homeowner saw for life. The compression release is handy on it too. I work 100+ acres of heavily drought damaged land and it's all I've needed. I haven't had to use the 5 year homeowner warranty so I can't comment on it.

Warren Wilson
01-15-2015, 10:10 PM
Up here in the woods of northern BC, Husqui and Stihl are both used. A choice of brands probably similar to the photographers' choice of Nikon or Canon.

My thought would be to drop into a local saw shop that services both and ask some advice of the techs. Seldom have I found folks reluctant to share an opinion -- and even if one is not better than the other, you'll know which one is likely to suit your repairman.

Using this technique, I found myself buying an Echo for my modest needs: the tech had a great pile of monstrous Stihls and Huskys on and around his workbench and said he seldom saw Echos, even from the pros. (The 18" Echo rides along nicely on my quad while my ancient Stihl 051 with the 34" bar just sits in the back shed).

Tom M King
01-15-2015, 10:19 PM
What are the largest trees you need to drop, and what is the average size? How strong, and in how good physical shape are you? One thing my family has done for generations is raise trees. Stihl for me. With 4-1/2 acres, you don't have to worry about wearing one out, but Stihl's are really easy to work on, and you can even get decent aftermarket parts for them pretty cheap. I currently have a MS180, MS290, 036, and ported 066. The 036, and 066 are older models of the current 360, and 660, or whatever the numbers are now that are close to that.

The 180 is a little saw good for climbing and small limbing, but probably not big enough for what you need. The 290 was given to me, and it's not very strong for its weight. My guys nor me really like this saw much. The 036 is lighter than the 290, I think, and has a lot more power. I let the guys that work for me cut firewood with the 036. It's something over 15 years old, and has its third cylinder and piston on it, but still runs like new. We keep a 42" bar on the 066, and every time we bring it out, someone says, "That's a Man's saw". They're right. The 066 is only used for stumping, and bucking big trees.

If you answer my first questions, I can make a reasonable recommendation.

Mike Heidrick
01-15-2015, 10:37 PM
MS260 Pro Stihl here. I love the pressure relief valve.

Justin Ludwig
01-16-2015, 7:26 AM
I bought my MS290 used for $220. Love it.

My Dad has had the same Stihl for 30 years. I don't remember the model, but he put a 20" bar on it. It has fell and cut up hundreds upon hundreds of trees. In the 30 years, we've replaced the coil, the starter (I/O) switch, and a few carb kits.

I'd look at the pawn shops for a Stihl or Husq. I'd only buy a new one if I were a logger. That's my $.02

Jared Sankovich
01-16-2015, 7:33 AM
Well I'll be the first one to suggest Dolmar/Makita. Great power to weight, some nice features and even though they they are pro saws they can be found for good prices. The 7900 is the saw to have in the dolmar line, but may be more than you need/want.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/jar944/1452563_10153022298573755_8411111670696175936_n_zp sc3g0jzqh.jpeg~original (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jar944/media/1452563_10153022298573755_8411111670696175936_n_zp sc3g0jzqh.jpeg.html)

Steven Satur
01-16-2015, 7:40 AM
I also have a Stihl Farmboss that is about 20 yrs. old. Always starts with 4-5 pulls. Never had a problem with it.

cody michael
01-16-2015, 7:47 AM
I have a Jonsered, 20 inch bar I think the cs2255 model, its been a great saw, I have had it about 6-7 years, starts on 1st few pulls even after sitting for a year or more. the are very similar to husqi they say there built in same factory.

no affiliation to this site, but here are 2 husqvarna saws for decent prices
http://slickdeals.net/f/7591088-household-outdoor-tools-sale-new-refurbished-husqvarna-chainsaws-bosch-saw-kits-trimmers-more-starting-from-34-99-free-shipping

roger wiegand
01-16-2015, 8:31 AM
Husqi 445 with an 18" blade here. Great little saw, lightweight with plenty of power for occasional use on trees up to two feet in diameter. I'm pretty sure I would have been just as happy with the equivalent Stihl. After growing up wielding a 40 lb Pioneer saw with a 36" blade all of these little saws are a delight to use!

Duane Meadows
01-16-2015, 8:38 AM
My thought would be to drop into a local saw shop that services both and ask some advice of the techs. Seldom have I found folks reluctant to share an opinion -- and even if one is not better than the other, you'll know which one is likely to suit your repairman.

Using this technique, I found myself buying an Echo for my modest needs: the tech had a great pile of monstrous Stihls and Huskys on and around his workbench and said he seldom saw Echos, even from the pros. .

Either means the Echo is more reliable... OR... the Stihls and Huskys outsell it by a wide margin! That single data point doesn't really tell you anything.

If I rated TV's that way I'd have thought Samsung to be junk compared to, oh lets say Sony. Truth was they outsold Sony by like 12 to 1, so of course I seen more of them!

Truth is a repairmen only sees the ones that break... tends to skew opinions somewhat. Also it isn't good for a repairman to bad mouth the product they make a living from.

Marc Seguin
01-16-2015, 8:59 AM
At work we have two Husky 465's and a Husky 345. They are about 5 or 6 years old now and we use them hard. Probably about 24 cords of firewood cut per year, as well as clearing downed trees. They all still start in 3 pulls from cold. One of the 465's is on its second bar and the 345 is due for a replacement as well.

I guess all of that is to say that the Husqvarna's will give you lots of good service if you keep up on the regular chainsaw maintenance.

Ole Anderson
01-16-2015, 9:03 AM
I have a Stihl 018 and a 290 along with a free Poulin Pro. The 018 is my go to saw. 290 only if I have something bigger. I am a little disappointed with the 290, not enough power for me, but not willing to spend the big bucks on the next size up pro saw either (362), probably twice the price.

John TenEyck
01-16-2015, 9:16 AM
Unless you know how to work on a chainsaw, or want to learn how, buy a saw from a local saw shop who can service it for you. Stihl, Husky, Echo, Dolmar - they are all good and will run for years if used properly and serviced regularly. If you value weight, or lack of it I should say, then buy a pro quality saw. With Stihl, that's the white handled ones, with Husky the XP's (unless they've changed). They are easier to work on, too, when needed, which will be less often. In my opinion, the Stihl MS 361 and Husky 371XP (or whatever the new models are) are about the two best all round saws made, light enough to use all day, big enough to take down anything up to 24" or so.

John

Jared Sankovich
01-16-2015, 9:53 AM
FWIW you can cover all your realistic cutting needs with a 45cc saw. I cut firewood for years with an Alpina Prof45 on a 185 acre farm where wood was the main source of heat. i dont recall a single instance where the alpina wasn't enough saw to get the job done.

That said my 79cc dolmar gets things done considerably faster.

Peter Kelly
01-16-2015, 11:11 AM
Well I'll be the first one to suggest Dolmar/Makita. Great power to weight, some nice features and even though they they are pro saws they can be found for good prices. The 7900 is the saw to have in the dolmar line, but may be more than you need/want. +1. The 7900 (now the 7910) is defenitely the best saw out there for the money.

Peter Quinn
01-16-2015, 11:25 AM
My dad used to have a part time fire wood business, cleared building lots, turned the logs into fire wood. I was a frequent conscript. He started with Sthil but switched to mainly Husquavarna, he felt they were more reliable long term and easier to start, less vibration, and the heated grips don't suck. He had a lot of different saws over the years and the huski's were always the most likely to be used.

Howard Pollack
01-16-2015, 11:35 AM
I bought a Husqvarna 450 this year with a 20" blade and it is a great saw. -Howard

Gregory King
01-16-2015, 12:46 PM
Really enjoy my 266 Husky. An animal in fire wood. Unfortunately, you can't buy that size any more. What were they thinking! Still Husky or Jonsered is a good brand name to start with. Greg

Kevin Bourque
01-16-2015, 1:03 PM
I have a sawmill and use chainsaws all the time.

If you plan on cutting down trees you'll need more than 1 saw IMO. One large saw for the big stuff, a medium sized saw for the in between stuff, and a small limbing saw for trimming and cleanup.
I have a bunch of Stihl saws that have worked well for me over the decades.

Garth Almgren
01-16-2015, 1:54 PM
I have my grandpa's "old blue" Homelite XL-12. Can't kill the darn thing, but it's heavy, has no brake, a manual oiler, and none of the vibration dampening of newer saws. If I were in the market for a new saw, it'd probably be a Stihl - plenty of parts and repair places around here.

Bill McNiel
01-16-2015, 2:09 PM
Just had to replace my 25+ year old Stihl (48" bar) and even older Echo (18" bar) two weeks ago. Did a bunch of research and talked to my logging buddies (I live in the Great NW). Husky & Stihl were the main choices with the final decision being personal preference. With similar criteria to yours, I chose the Stihl MS 291 with a 20" bar and a more agressive chain than the stock issue. Pretty light at under 12 lbs and 55.5 cm3 displacement. So far, bucking a 26" butt - 80' tall fir that layed down across the community drive, it has been great.

Larry Edgerton
01-16-2015, 2:25 PM
Husky 357XP is my favorite saw right now. I like the way it feels.

Larry Edgerton
01-16-2015, 2:28 PM
I have my grandpa's "old blue" Homelite XL-12. Can't kill the darn thing, but it's heavy, has no brake, a manual oiler, and none of the vibration dampening of newer saws. If I were in the market for a new saw, it'd probably be a Stihl - plenty of parts and repair places around here.

I have a Homelite C51, which makes your XL12 seem like a lightweight. It was my grandpa's saw so I keep it around and make a couple of cuts every couple of years.

;)Makes me appreciate my new saws!

julian abram
01-16-2015, 3:19 PM
Can't go wrong with Stihl or Husquavarna. I purchased a new Stihl 029 about 24 years ago when we built our home on a 4ac wooded lot. No telling how many ricks (not cords, I live in the south) of firewood that saw has cut. It is still going strong. I would check with a local sawshop to see which brand you can receive after purchase support.

Ole Anderson
01-16-2015, 5:16 PM
One thing that applies to all saws: None of them cut worth a darn without a sharp chain. Sharpening is a bit of an art with a learning curve, I still haven't got it figured out 100%.

Bill Rhodus
01-16-2015, 5:42 PM
While there may be numerous brands that give many people reliable service, Stihl and Husky are the industry leaders and it will be easier to find a good dealer for these brands near your home. Also easier to find a dealer if you relocate. Know that both Stihl and Husky make a pro line of saws that generally have aluminum or magnesium crankcases and premium parts and a homeowners line of saws that have plastic crankcases and parts that they engineer for value or low cost. If you truly don't care about the cost, get a pro level saw from a dealer you like.

Rob Holcomb
01-16-2015, 6:38 PM
I'm no expert but thought I would add that I have a Husqvarna Rancher 55 that I use for light duty use, cutting the occasional tree or larger branches. It leaks gas like crazy. I also know three other people with Husqvarna's (unknown models) that complain of leaking gas too. I don't know if that's a known issue with their saws or if it's a just a coincidence. Other than that, it starts easily and has little vibration so in that regard it's a good saw. With that said, if I had to do it all over again, I'd buy another well reviewed brand.

John TenEyck
01-16-2015, 7:10 PM
I'm no expert but thought I would add that I have a Husqvarna Rancher 55 that I use for light duty use, cutting the occasional tree or larger branches. It leaks gas like crazy. I also know three other people with Husqvarna's (unknown models) that complain of leaking gas too. I don't know if that's a known issue with their saws or if it's a just a coincidence. Other than that, it starts easily and has little vibration so in that regard it's a good saw. With that said, if I had to do it all over again, I'd buy another well reviewed brand.

This is exactly why I told the OP to buy from dealer where he could get service, unless you want to learn how to fix your saw. Every CS I've owned needs regular maintenance, and occasionally they need some sort of repair. I have a Husky Rancher 55 and the leak you are talking about probably comes from the tank vent. If the leak happens when the tank is full but stops when it's partially empty, that's the problem. If it leaks until the tank is almost empty then it's the tank plug - just get a new one. Assuming it's the tank vent, it's an easy repair for a shop to make, and not hard to do yourself if you have the illustrated parts diagram so you can figure out what to disassemble. I'd walk you through it but I can't quite remember how to do it and am not able to get to the saw for a few days. But now that I think about it, it might be as simple as removing a single screw and small cover plate on the right side of the handle. The tank vent should be right under it. If so, you can push out the tank vent with a long pair of needle nose pliers inserted through the gas tank fill port. Install a new tank vent and you're done. Sometimes, they still leak, and then you have to apply a gas proof sealant to the tank vent as you insert it. If neither of those is the problem, then the tank or fuel line has a leak. If you use gas with ethanol it would be a good idea to change the fuel line, just in case, because a leaky fuel line is a recipe for burning up a piston/cylinder. If it's the tank, you should be able to get a replacement on E-bay, etc. for cheap, because that was a very popular saw and there are a lot of parts available from ones that died an early death - mostly because people used ethanol gas, didn't readjust the carb., and burned them up.

FWIW, that Rancher 55 is my favorite saw. Easy to start, light, and easy to handle with enough power for most anything less than 18" or so. I have a Stihl MS290 as well, and I reach for the Husky first every time.

John

Brad Schafer
01-16-2015, 8:11 PM
... I don't think you can beat the echo 590 for power and price.

agreed. purchased one earlier this yr to replace a Stihl Farm Boss 038 that went to chainsaw heaven. we have stihl, echo, and husky saws here on the farm. don't see how you could go wrong with any of those ... but at the time the 590 was being sold at around $400 new, and is a lot of saw for the money.

Jim O'Dell
01-16-2015, 10:31 PM
After dropping a dead Willow tree with a 14" Remington electric, housing broke half way through, and having to finish up with a 12" electric pole saw:eek:, I decided the next time I needed a chain saw I was going to get the best I could afford, within reason. Woke up one morning about 3 years ago with a tree in the front yard coming down and no chainsaw to use. Ran out to Tractor Supply and got a Husqvarna 445 and dropped the tree. It has never taken more than 3 pulls, and usually just 2, to start. I don't use it much, but it sure is a dream When I need to. Would like to have had a Stihl, just couldn't afford the one I wanted. Jim.

bill tindall
01-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Stihl and Husky are the only saws I see being used professionally and each has it passionate followers. Each company makes a professional line and a home owners line. If you want a saw that will last a lifetime get a "200 series" Professional (I don' t know the latest exact number, maybe 260 but you want the modern 026 equivalent) and a 20 " bar so you aren't stooping while limbing. ) I don't own one but have used this saw a fair amount and found it nearly as fast in larger hardwood as the larger 300 series saws that I use a lot. It is slower than the 400 series but vastly lighter. (there will be a Husky equivalent but I have no personal experience with the equivalent.) I have a smaller lighter Husky non-rofessional series saw I use when I am packing a saw. It starts quicker than my 036, 046 and it has been reliable and quick cutting.

But before buying the saw, buy chaps and steel toes shoes. And attend a class on timber cutting. You then will not only look cool while cutting and appear to know what you are doing, but you will be significantly safer. Chain saw injuries and common and gruesome.

Mike Cutler
01-17-2015, 10:16 AM
I have a 28 year old Echo 660. I do nothing special too it at all. It sits sometimes for years between uses. Put some gas in it, add the bar lube and off I go.
In your case I would expect that you would see the same result, regardless of whom you choose a saw made by.
Stihl, "Husky", Echo, any would suit you needs. If you liked and trusted Stihl in the past, I would advise you to get a new Stihl with an ~24" bar. Not too big, and generally not too small.

Rob Holcomb
01-17-2015, 11:06 AM
This is exactly why I told the OP to buy from dealer where he could get service, unless you want to learn how to fix your saw. Every CS I've owned needs regular maintenance, and occasionally they need some sort of repair. I have a Husky Rancher 55 and the leak you are talking about probably comes from the tank vent. If the leak happens when the tank is full but stops when it's partially empty, that's the problem. If it leaks until the tank is almost empty then it's the tank plug - just get a new one. Assuming it's the tank vent, it's an easy repair for a shop to make, and not hard to do yourself if you have the illustrated parts diagram so you can figure out what to disassemble. I'd walk you through it but I can't quite remember how to do it and am not able to get to the saw for a few days. But now that I think about it, it might be as simple as removing a single screw and small cover plate on the right side of the handle. The tank vent should be right under it. If so, you can push out the tank vent with a long pair of needle nose pliers inserted through the gas tank fill port. Install a new tank vent and you're done. Sometimes, they still leak, and then you have to apply a gas proof sealant to the tank vent as you insert it. If neither of those is the problem, then the tank or fuel line has a leak. If you use gas with ethanol it would be a good idea to change the fuel line, just in case, because a leaky fuel line is a recipe for burning up a piston/cylinder. If it's the tank, you should be able to get a replacement on E-bay, etc. for cheap, because that was a very popular saw and there are a lot of parts available from ones that died an early death - mostly because people used ethanol gas, didn't readjust the carb., and burned them up.

FWIW, that Rancher 55 is my favorite saw. Easy to start, light, and easy to handle with enough power for most anything less than 18" or so. I have a Stihl MS290 as well, and I reach for the Husky first every time.

John

Thanks for the input John. I agree with you to buy a saw from a dealer rather than a big box store. Dealer service is invaluable, especially for someone like me who has no knowledge of how to repair a chainsaw. In my situation, I have had it to a very reputable dealer on three occasions for the gas leak problem and it continues to leak. I almost have enough money paid in repair bills that I would have spent if I would have just bought a new saw from the start. That will be my next step!

David Helm
01-17-2015, 5:06 PM
I've had my Stihl 024AV for 25 years. It's been a very good saw. The arborist I use has only Huskies and he swears by them. I think if you go with either brand you'll do fine.

Jim Matthews
01-17-2015, 6:08 PM
+1 on buying the best saw your local shop will service.

Get a proper set of chaps, and a face guard.
Whatever saw you buy, get two chains.

When the first one is dull, put the second on.
Take first to shop for sharpening.

Rinse, and repeat.

(I use a Dolmar 7900, also.)

Dan Neuhaus
01-17-2015, 6:30 PM
Was a property manager for 7 years on a 1000 acre wooded estate and ran the heck out of Stihl saws. MS 260 pro was my favorite if a little carb finicky. When I left that position about a year ago and needed a new saw I decided to give Husky a try because I prefer their string trimmers. Found a good price on a 550xp and I'm pretty sure I'll never go back to a Stihl. The xp runs like a champ and always starts first few pulls. It may have been mentioned but if you need more info check out arboristsite.com

Keith Hankins
01-17-2015, 9:10 PM
Wow thanks everybody I never expected all the great reply's.

Rick Fisher
01-18-2015, 4:34 AM
I have a really good friend who is a pro faller, he destroys a saw every 12-14 months. They port and tune them, make them run as hard as possible. He just switched from Husqi to Stihl. The reason was Husqi was burning up too fast. He said he has no idea if Stihl will last longer, but figured he would try one. On the crew, they bicker over Husqi and Stihl like Ford and Chev.

Danny Hamsley
01-18-2015, 7:57 AM
The Stihl MS 362 is a pro saw, and it is what I would buy. I have the predecessor MS 361 that I have felled hundreds of trees with. I would not buy a homeowner version of the Husquvana like you see in Lowes and Home Depot. They are will not hold up to regular use.

John TenEyck
01-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the input John. I agree with you to buy a saw from a dealer rather than a big box store. Dealer service is invaluable, especially for someone like me who has no knowledge of how to repair a chainsaw. In my situation, I have had it to a very reputable dealer on three occasions for the gas leak problem and it continues to leak. I almost have enough money paid in repair bills that I would have spent if I would have just bought a new saw from the start. That will be my next step!

Based on your statement, Rob, I think you should find a Stihl or other, non-Husky, dealer, because they should have been able to find and fix that gas leak the first time. I'm not saying every problem is easy to find, but that one can only be caused by a few things that are easy to sort out. You could still do it yourself if you've a mind to. Call me if you need help.

John

Larry Edgerton
01-18-2015, 12:34 PM
On the flip side of that coin I wrapped a Stihl pro model blower around a tree because I had it back to the dealer a few times and it would still not start when I needed it. Thats why I switched to Husky. No saying Husky won't let me down, but my dealer is awesome. Then, there is always Echo......

Roy Turbett
01-18-2015, 4:21 PM
But before buying the saw, buy chaps and steel toes shoes. And attend a class on timber cutting. You then will not only look cool while cutting and appear to know what you are doing, but you will be significantly safer. Chain saw injuries and common and gruesome.

+1 on safety first. Safety equipment and training is cheap compared to a visit to the ER or cemetary. Keep in mind that some older models of brand name saws don't have modern safety equipment like brakes. Your best bet is to visit a dealer who can point you in the right direction.