PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Laser Help

David Leedy
01-15-2015, 7:34 PM
Hi. My wife posted this on Facebook and thought I'd post it here to see if there are any thoughts or advice. She has an Epilog 36EXT.

----
Help!! I ran a job of several rowmark tags this afternoon. Shut everything down and came back to finish. Now the laser is making a loud knocking noise like the carrier is banging into something. It's almost like it has lost its x/y home orientation. It's going way to far over to the left and even etched onto the guide ruler. I will be calling tech support in the morning but just thought I would check with the ELF's to see if anyone had any experience or suggestions. I've rebooted my computer and the laser, recleaned everything and checked the linear encoder strip. Thank you in advance for all of your help.
---

Thank You!

Chris Corwin
01-15-2015, 8:15 PM
I think I have experienced the same behavior with my legend 32 when the sensor board was loose on the gantry.

When the machine is off, move the laser head to the right about 1/2 way down the x axis. Turn the machine on and see if it misses the home position again. If it does then there is something wrong with the proximity sensor for homing the x axis. Check to see if all the cables that lead to the sensor are connected and did not come loose and the sensor is mounted firmly to the gantry.

Good luck!

greg lindsey
01-16-2015, 2:33 AM
ok, this sounds kinda stupid , but check the air assist tube. If it is pushed to far left it will hit the rail and not allow it to find home. I know this has happened to me a few times. Took me awhile to see it, just sometimes you might hit it removing a part.

David Leedy
01-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. I think it's something with the encoding strip but I'm not sure. She's called Epilog tech support and they told her to try the far side of the bed which seems good enough to limp through this current job. Then she'll get back to them for a more thorough resolution.

Thanks!!!

Dave

Braden Todd
01-17-2015, 11:54 AM
If it's under warranty I'd ask for the flex cable, encoder reader and encoder strip. Replacing all three guarantees a fix. I've learned if the issue is in the same spot every time it's the encoder strip, if it's random it can be reader or flex cable. Another try to see if it's the flex cable is to flip it end for end, this will use new readers and only works for a short time but can help with an urgent job.

Good luck!