PDA

View Full Version : Resharpin Saw Blades

Chris Payne
01-15-2015, 6:21 PM
I have about 12 blades that need to be sharpened do you feel they are as good quality once they are sharpened ?

Tom Walz
01-15-2015, 6:34 PM
Maybe better. Maybe worse.

Sharpening odes change the critical angles a bit.

scott spencer
01-15-2015, 6:40 PM
I wouldn't bother with any lower end blades....the soft carbide, cheap steel bodies, and poor manufacturing just aren't worth the cost and effort IMO. It depends a lot of who sharpens them, but my experience has been than resharpened higher quality blades perform quite well.

Mel Fulks
01-15-2015, 6:44 PM
We had an exceptional sharpener ,now gone, but his sons were well taught and still working. Sometimes the saws actually seem a little sharper than when they were new after they work on them. Don't let the dull ones clang together, keep some cardboard between them. The worst damage is usually done in careless handling ,not use.

Chris Payne
01-15-2015, 7:53 PM
In the past I noticed that they seemed to splinter my plywood more when I crosscut it. I have mostly good quality blades a coupe Forest blades and I use Ballew Saw & Tool in Springfield Mo.

Lee Schierer
01-15-2015, 8:02 PM
I recently asked the same question and after looking at the cost of a new blade compared to the cost of sharpening I decided to just retire the old blade and buy new. I have no regrets. If it is a $100 blade to replace, paying $30 to get it sharpened probably makes sense. If it is a $40 blade, paying $30 for sharpening probably doesn't make sense.

Mark Bolton
01-15-2015, 8:30 PM
If you have forest blades and are considering tossing them instead of sharpening shoot me a PM and I will pay the freight for you to ship them to me. ;-)

Brian Kent
01-15-2015, 8:33 PM
I just had a nice blade sharpened. I have not tried it yet, but the cost was $19.

Art Mann
01-15-2015, 8:34 PM
I recently bought a router bit resharpening kit from Rockler. It included three rectangular shaped diamond abrasive paddles from medium to extra fine grit. I haven't had much success with the router bits but I returned an inexpensive Freud 24 tooth ripping blade to near new cutting condition. It took about 30 minutes. The alternative was not to have the blade commercially sharpened but rather to throw it away and buy a replacement. If you have a diamond hone, try resharpening cheap blades yourself. What have you got to lose (other than a little time)?

Bryan Cramer
01-15-2015, 11:12 PM
I just had a bad experience with having two blades resharpened. I use to have my local Acme Tools resharpen them; they used to charge $10 to $15 ($20 for a dado stack). The grinding was great (it was very accurate and sharp) and they cut just like new. The lead time was quite long but for the price it was worth even having middle of the road blades resharpened. Now the last two blades I got back were ground horribly. Their price went up significantly to $20 to $25 but the quality went down. The worst grinding was on my sliding miter saw blade. The top angle (ATB) of the left and right pointing teeth weren't ground the same so I get more tear out on one side than the other because one side isn't scoring deep enough. So that being said the quality of the resharpening depends upon the skill of the sharpener. Not to hijack this thread but who would you recommend sending blades to for resharpening?

david minnery
01-16-2015, 12:34 AM
Speaking from my experience, it is cheaper for me to send them out to sharpen and pay for shipping. My other experience was buying Onsrud solid carbide bits from them. Their price was almost twice as much as I've ever seen. I'm glad others have been happy with eastside.

Clint Baxter
01-16-2015, 6:15 AM
I just had a bad experience with having two blades resharpened. I use to have my local Acme Tools resharpen them; they used to charge $10 to $15 ($20 for a dado stack). The grinding was great (it was very accurate and sharp) and they cut just like new. The lead time was quite long but for the price it was worth even having middle of the road blades resharpened. Now the last two blades I got back were ground horribly. Their price went up significantly to $20 to $25 but the quality went down. The worst grinding was on my sliding miter saw blade. The top angle (ATB) of the left and right pointing teeth weren't ground the same so I get more tear out on one side than the other because one side isn't scoring deep enough. So that being said the quality of the resharpening depends upon the skill of the sharpener. Not to hijack this thread but who would you recommend sending blades to for resharpening?

I also used Acme's sharpening service in the past but wasn't that happy with the long times required. I thought the blades ended up better than my local sharpener but not anywheres near new quality.

I sent my last batch of blades to Dynamic Saw in Buffalo NY, and was much happier with the service I received from them. It took a little time but they were there and back in considerably less time than I used to deal with using Acme's service. Pleasure to deal with as well.

You can find their website here http://dynamicsaw.com

Clint

Rick Moyer
01-16-2015, 7:30 AM
Not sure I get what you're asking. You seem to have good blades AND have used a sharpening service (post #5). Did they not come back sharp? If not, then they didn't do a good job. I concur with some others who said a good carbide blade is worth sharpening.

Matt Day
01-16-2015, 7:30 AM
I'm picking up 2 Forest WW2's on Monday from a local sharpener. 2 blades sharpened for $25, and hopefully results will be good.
Min was going to send them to Dynamic Saw but it would cost $25 just to ship, so i'm giving a local place a try.

cody michael
01-16-2015, 7:51 AM
I had 3 blades sharpened at a local shop, a freud from home depot, a WWII and a delta industrial. frued is going on my saw I have for sale. total was 25$ for all three blades, I haven't got to test them out yet I hope they did a good job, the sharpening place is on my way to work.

Scott Brihn
01-16-2015, 7:59 AM
If you do decide to resharpen some or all of the blades, Freud has "certified" sharpeners to sharpen their blades and has them listed by state on their website.

glenn bradley
01-16-2015, 8:01 AM
I have mine sharpened but, I have blades that will stand many sharpenings. Your Forrest blades should be doable. Consumer type Freud blades can take a trip or two. Pro series blades with adequate carbide can take many. I have a blade tht has seen 6 sharpenings and it is about done. Given the original price tag plus the cost of sharpening, the blade was brand new 7 times and cost me about $35 for each "new" blade. A resharpened $100 blade is a lot better than any $35 blade I've ever tried. :)

Bryan Cramer
01-16-2015, 9:34 AM
I also used Acme's sharpening service in the past but wasn't that happy with the long times required. I thought the blades ended up better than my local sharpener but not anywheres near new quality.

I sent my last batch of blades to Dynamic Saw in Buffalo NY, and was much happier with the service I received from them. It took a little time but they were there and back in considerably less time than I used to deal with using Acme's service. Pleasure to deal with as well.

You can find their website here http://dynamicsaw.com

Clint

Thank you for the link. Their prices were what I was used to seeing at Acme Tools.

Bruce Wrenn
01-16-2015, 9:04 PM
Flat Rate Box from post office will hold 55# of blades. That's what I use to ship blades to Dynamic. UPS guy brings them back. Going (post office) 2 days, coming back (UPS) almost a week, especially if they shipped out on Wed.- Friday. Nothing on UPS moves over the weekend.

Chris Payne
01-16-2015, 11:15 PM
Matt lets us know how them Forest blades turn out.

CPeter James
01-17-2015, 7:56 AM
I use Ridge Carbide to sharpen my blades. Does a superior job.

Cpeter

bill tindall
01-17-2015, 9:53 AM
You can be sure that industrial woodworking operations resharpen their blades and demand quality equivalent to new. There is no question it can be done perfectly. A well equipped shop will have a sharpening machine of identical quality as the blade manufacturer. Ideally, use a shop that manufacturers tooling for the industry. I use Misenheimer in Morristown TN and the cost was $8-12 the last I had done(depending on size and teeth).