PDA

View Full Version : American Horse Chestnut?

Dave Dionne
07-24-2005, 8:26 AM
Okay
So I am a month out from having a large American horse Chestnut dropped in front of my house, alot of dead branches on it, and the nuts draw squirrels that I am presently at battle with over attic space.
Is this wood good for anything besides fire wood? is it turnable or maybe sliced for small boxes? We don't burn wood so if there is no real use I will have it hauled after they cut it down.

Thanks Dave

Jim Becker
07-24-2005, 9:40 AM
Horse chestnut turns nicely and often has interesting greys and blues.

Dave Dionne
07-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Cool

Thanks Jim

Chris Padilla
07-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Is this the same as or similar to the American Chestnut that suffers from blight disease? I saw Norm make something out of some reclaimed timbers and it was beautiful stuff. I don't remember exactly what it looked like but a lighter version of black walnut (not quite as light as butternut).

Dave Dionne
07-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Chris

From what I understand ( and that ain't much) they are to differnet animals. I don't know if they are related but the properties are very different. Even the nuts are not edible.

Dave

(PS if anybody is within driving distance and wants some of this wood once it is cut let me know)

Craig Zettle
07-25-2005, 12:18 PM
I cut one down for a neighbor a few months ago and got cussed out by a few for not calling a botanist to see why this particular tree survived.

The tree was not in good shape, ant infested and rather small. I only salvaged maybe 15 bf! But it is some of the prettiest wood I've ever seen.

If I was close to you I'd take it all.

Jim Becker
07-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Is this the same as or similar to the American Chestnut that suffers from blight disease? .

No. Different species altogether. Buckeye (horse chestnut) is relatively common in some parts of the country, like Ohio. American Chestnut is very hard to find "in the wild"...although there is a beauty on Bill Grumbine's property across the road from his house! Scientists/botonists are trying hard to develop a blight resistant strain from the few remaining trees that have weathered the problem...some of that work is being done at Penn State University, for example. They are confident, but it will take a long time to get there...

Chris Padilla
07-25-2005, 12:34 PM
Good to hear, Jim. The wood Norm used was simply gorgeous...you just don't easily find this wood for obvious reasons....

Jim Becker
07-25-2005, 12:39 PM
All of the chestnut that Norm uses is recycled material; much of it from old beams and barns in New England which is typical for this material. But this "vintage" chestnut is beautiful stuff, indeed!