PDA

View Full Version : Ultra adjustable bench hook

David Ragan
01-15-2015, 4:14 PM
a year or two ago, either Shop Notes or Woodsmith had on the cover a really cool adjustable bench hook. Ultra adjustable with threaded inserts for infinite variations of the miter. Made with plywood.

I would like to build, but can't find. Anyone seen it please?

Jim Koepke
01-15-2015, 6:55 PM
You might check Derek Cohen's site, inthewoodshop.com I think he has made an adjustable shooting board.

Not sure about an adjustable bench hook. I have made them with guides for different sawing angles.

jtk

lowell holmes
01-15-2015, 7:37 PM
It appeared in Shopnotes 111. You can Google "shopnotes adjustable bench hook" and it will come up.

David Ragan
01-16-2015, 8:05 AM
You might check Derek Cohen's site, inthewoodshop.com I think he has made an adjustable shooting board.

Not sure about an adjustable bench hook. I have made them with guides for different sawing angles.

jtk

Beautiful stuff. Very nice. Maybe when my wood is organized with the current shop remodel, I can do something like that.

lowell holmes
It appeared in Shopnotes 111. You can Google "shopnotes adjustable bench hook" and it will come up.

I finally found the one I was looking for. Vol 23, issue134. I went to 111 above-is there one there that will perform better?

lowell holmes
01-16-2015, 9:37 AM
I found the copy you are looking for. You can buy it on Amazon.

Richard Verwoest
01-16-2015, 11:04 AM
I have been considering building that one also, from issue 134. The hardware alone is around a hundred bucks. But looks very nice and I already have the LV shooting plane.

David Ragan
01-16-2015, 11:20 AM
Wow. $100?

I guess it better work pretty good.

I have the magazine around the house in one of several piles (that my wife tolerates). Been meaning to get them all organized. Amazon is great.

Jim Belair
01-16-2015, 11:24 AM
... The hardware alone is around a hundred bucks. But looks very nice and I already have the LV shooting plane.

$100 - that's a lot of threaded inserts, knobs and T track!

Jim Koepke
01-16-2015, 12:10 PM
The hardware alone is around a hundred bucks.

It had me going, then reality struck.

For most of my needs a fixed fence works fine with angled blocks to achieve mitered corners or other purposes for shooting angles other than 90º.

jtk

Jim Matthews
01-16-2015, 12:40 PM
Easy enough to shim a bench hook to get another angle.

No reason to make an essential tool more complicated.

lowell holmes
01-16-2015, 1:33 PM
Easy enough to shim a bench hook to get another angle.

No reason to make an essential tool more complicated.

I agree.

However, the bench hook shown in issue number 111 uses an old miter gage from a table saw. I kind of like it. If you had it on a shooting bench hook,
it would be easy to accommodate the slightest angle variation.

Jim Koepke
01-16-2015, 2:41 PM
I agree.

However, the bench hook shown in issue number 111 uses an old miter gage from a table saw. I kind of like it. If you had it on a shooting bench hook,
it would be easy to accommodate the slightest angle variation.

So maybe on my next shooting board I will plow a slot for a miter gauge.

Can a miter gauge withstand the constant pressure of a plane riding the end grain of a piece in its hold?

jtk