PDA

View Full Version : Base cabinet corner recommendation.

Clisby Clark
01-15-2015, 4:09 PM
I am building my kitchen cabinets and am at a dilemma as to how to best utilize my corner. One thing for certain, I'm using face frame cabinetry and Blum hinges with flat panel flush fitting cherry doors and drawers, and blum tandem slides on the bases. I currently have a lazy susan which is ok but a bit finicky sometimes. I'm thinking of either keeping the LS, using the blum corner shelves, or one of the pull out devices like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuuQ0jVXesg&safe=active

I was curious if anyone has any strong opinion either way about either solution. I look forward to your comments.

Clisby Clark
01-15-2015, 4:19 PM
Oh, yeah. One thing I forgot. I'm skeptical about whether the Blum Corner drawers will work because my opening from the corner to the edge of the face frame is only around 10.5 inches which would make the corner drawers very skinny, IMO.

Mike Ontko
01-15-2015, 4:56 PM
The cabinets in my kitchen were custom done by someone the previous owners hired. One corner base cabinet in the kitchen has a 3/4 lazy susan tray. The fourth 1/4 of that tray is cut out to hold the doors, which retract slightly when opening (you can pull either door to open/spin from the left or right) and then self closes when the door section comes back around to the front. I don't know who the manufacturer of that system is, but this description might help you find a match.

p.s. I found this manufacturer's site with what appears to be a similar system: http://www.hafele.com/us/news-and-events/news/4968.asp

Just occurred to me that my cabinets are Euro style (faceless). Not sure if this solution will help then.

Jamie Buxton
01-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Oh, yeah. One thing I forgot. I'm skeptical about whether the Blum Corner drawers will work because my opening from the corner to the edge of the face frame is only around 10.5 inches which would make the corner drawers very skinny, IMO.

So you're saying that Richlieu thing is going to fit through a 10 1/2" wide opening? It doesn't look that narrow in the video.

Deb Clarkson
01-19-2015, 11:43 AM
After calculating the actual cubic inches of usable space in the various options I decided to leave the inside corner unused and built drawer units as close as possible on either side. Lazy susans always waste the space in the corners and the other options get pretty expensive and still don't make all the space useful or easily accessible. Can you access this corner from the room on the other side of the wall? Maybe cut holes in the countertop for dropping in utensil containers or a knife block?

Michael Rominger
01-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Here's an idea.

Sam Murdoch
01-19-2015, 12:58 PM
The Lemans is OK but does not utilize the space that well. A bit more expensive but one that really optimizes space use is this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euv3-VPyJQw

Available in different sizes.

OOPS - never mind - if all you have is a 10-1/2" opening this one is out and I think the Lemans is too.

Lee Schierer
01-19-2015, 2:21 PM
When we remodeled out kitchen we purchased higher end Kraftmaid cabinets and the way the corner was handled is shown in the following photos:
The door in the photos is 12" wide. There are two sliding shelves that you can access once the pull out is moved out of teh way, where my wife keeps baking items that see infrequent use.