PDA

View Full Version : Crating a dog along with a dog that's neve been crated?

Rich Engelhardt
01-15-2015, 3:02 PM
We lost our little peanut dog a couple/three months ago.
I told my wife after she retires, if she wants another dog, she can have one.
All the rescue places we've been looking at are asking us how we feel about crating the dog.
My brother and sister in law are big believers in crating.

We never crated any of our dogs (German Shepherd, Great Dane, mixed breed "peanut" dog, Husky mix).

I get the feeling the rescue places want us to crate the dog. I don't think our 12 year old Husky has any desire @ this point to being crated.
I'm not sure how well crating one and not the other would go over.

Mike Nolan
01-15-2015, 3:39 PM
We crated our new dog Sir Chews a Lot and not our older dog. No problems. The new dog often naps in the crate with the door open. He seems to be more secure there. The older dog has no interest in the crate. I would recommend using a crate with a young dog.

Bill Gugel
01-15-2015, 3:46 PM
I've crated 4 labs and it works great. The new one wasn,t upset when it had to go in and the older didn,t. It helps with housebreaking and it was a refuge for the dogs when the got tired of our kids when they were little. The two current labs went for a grooming yesterday and went right into the crates at the groomers without being told. Good luck

George Bokros
01-15-2015, 3:47 PM
Rich,

Many people like to crate their dogs when they are away or at night because they are unsure if they could trust the dog. We have had 7 dogs over the years and we only crated one for a while until we were sure it was house broke, we both worked at the time and this one was a little more difficult to house train. The rescue places always seem to crate train dogs to make them easier to find homes for because people don't trust a new dog to not tear their house up and the house breaking.

If you decide to crate your new dog I have a good sized crate that I will sell you reasonably. It is (I am going from memory since it is knocked down and in its original box) 36" X48" X 30" high. in excellent condition.

Let me know.

We adopted our last dog from Paws 7 Prayers in Akron. Great rescue organization. He was a little rambunctious and they sent out a dog trainer to observe the dog and gave us tips. This dog is a Rhodesian Ridgeback and German Shepherd mix.

Lee Schierer
01-15-2015, 7:58 PM
I have crated our dog. When he was a puppy we used it more often than we do now. If we travel I generally take the crate and he will go in if you tell him "crate". He used to go in and sleep with the door open. Many people crate their dogs when they travel just to insure they are under control at all times. Never use the crate as a punishment and yo should have no problem with the dog going in.

Mark Bolton
01-15-2015, 9:16 PM
I was dead against crating but did it with a pure bred husky (who is sadly now gone). I became a total convert though I only did it for housebreaking. I agree with the other reply that it became a safe-zone for him. If there were kids over or a lot of chaos he would go right to the crate and felt safe. I remember when we finally took the crate down he was actually kind of panic'd. I could never see the point in crating a dog long term. Im not sure I'd have a problem crating a new dog with an established uncrated dog thought I'd likely separate them as to not tourment the new dog.

I think its a good insurance policy in the even you wind up with a dog that establishes some bad habits while getting accustomed to a new move. In the case of a rescue the dog has most likely been crated already so may actually be use to it.

Sean Troy
01-16-2015, 10:33 AM
We crate one of our dogs when we leave the house for awhile and not the other. never had a problem.

Erik Loza
01-16-2015, 10:46 AM
We crate one of our dogs when we leave the house for awhile and not the other. never had a problem.

Our experience as well ^^^^^

Best of luck with it.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA