PDA

View Full Version : 95%? 98%? 100%?

Bob Crimmins
01-15-2015, 12:34 PM
When I was originally instructed in the use of the 80w laser I bought used, I was taught that the highest power setting I should use was 95%. No good explanation for why. So it's just been a habit. Can anyone corroborate or dispel this approach with an explanation of why?

Thanks!

Bob

Bert Kemp
01-15-2015, 2:26 PM
From what I've read , using more then 95% power will drastically shorten tube life.

Frank barry
01-15-2015, 2:54 PM
Hi I cant think of any machine you would run at 100% power or speed and expect it to last

its one reason I always try to buy a machine with more power than I need as you will always find a need for a little more power or speed

just my taughts Frank

Dan Hintz
01-15-2015, 4:03 PM
Note to others: This applies to DC-excited tubes (i.e., glass) only, not RF-excited.

It depends upon what "100%" means... if the power supply is set appropriately, 100% is perfectly fine. However, if the supply is not limiting the output current to a certain level (and constantly watching the value to make sure it does not go above as conditions change), you will essentially leach material from the electrodes and contaminate the gas. Once contamination hits a certain level, you shouldn't expect it to lase reliably.

On the cheaper systems, particularly, the shop owners either set the max current level too high out of carelessness or they're trying to make high-power claims to beat out the competition.

Rich Harman
01-15-2015, 4:48 PM
It all depends on what the percentage means - which is dependent upon how the pot is adjusted on the power supply. Use the ammeter to establish what percentage is full power. I consider my 80W to be at full power when running at 24mA. That corresponds to 80% on my controller.

Bob Crimmins
01-16-2015, 1:02 AM
Good stuff, guys. Thanks. I'll continue with my 95% habit until such time as I have the where with all to dig into the supply board/pot/etc.

Clark Pace
01-16-2015, 11:28 AM
I run mine at 80% power almost all the time.

Bert Kemp
01-16-2015, 1:46 PM
I've never run this new one above 70% my time is not relevant most days so I lower speed rather then increase power.