PDA

View Full Version : 1966(about) Craftsman Table Saw Trouble

Steven Bruening
01-15-2015, 12:27 PM
How's it going guys? Got another question regarding getting a hand-me-down tool working again (this time a little older).

So about a week ago I was lent a 1966(about) Craftsman Table Saw to store and use until the original owner finds room for it again. I initially got it going when I turned it on for the first time. However, I haven't been able to get it to start since then. It powers up and then just hums. No blade or belt is attached during this process so it's not getting hung up due to either of those things. I can spin the belt drive freely too, so it's not jammed in anyway.

After reading through quite a few forum posts, my first idea was the capacitor, so I replaced it. Still won't spin, just hums. Any ideas guys?

Thanks again.

Steve

Steve Baumgartner
01-15-2015, 12:59 PM
Those saws are famous for having the motor centrifugal switch pack up with sawdust, which will cause the saw to sit and hum. You may be able to blow it out with air, but its possible you will have to disassemble the endcap of the motor to really get it clean.

Steven Bruening
01-15-2015, 1:41 PM
I'll look into that. Any idea if there is any info regarding disassembling the motor to get to it?

Steve Baumgartner
01-15-2015, 3:14 PM
It's been a while, but as I recall the motor end caps are held on by long bolts that run all the way from one end to the other. You unscrew the nuts and carefully pull off the end cap at the opposite end from the pulley. BTW, I know about this because it happened to my saw. When the switch is jammed, the starting cap and windings never get engaged, so the motor just sits and hums.