PDA

View Full Version : Sanding Drum Kit for Drill Press?

Mark W Pugh
01-15-2015, 11:28 AM
Any suggestions? Any to avoid? Thanks

Matt Day
01-15-2015, 11:42 AM
I've got the Lee Valley one and it works well. I think they're pretty much all the same though.

Greg Hines, MD
01-15-2015, 11:53 AM
I have one from Woodcraft that has served me well for years.

Doc

Myk Rian
01-15-2015, 11:56 AM
Just don't put too much side pressure on the drums. Drill presses aren't made to be drum sanders.

Jim Tobias
01-15-2015, 12:21 PM
Look at Lee Valley for the Pneumatic Sanding drums. I use them constantly. They conform to curves , etc.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=45190&cat=1,290,42500,42504,45190

Jim

Rich Engelhardt
01-15-2015, 3:26 PM
I tried a couple of them and they rattled so bad they set my teeth on edge.
I finally bit the bullet and got a Ridgid OSS.

Smartest move I made in a long time. I don't use it that often, but, when I do use it, it works perfectly & is a pleasure to use instead of a royal pain.

Keith Hankins
01-15-2015, 3:39 PM

Smartest move I made in a long time. I don't use it that often, but, when I do use it, it works perfectly & is a pleasure to use instead of a royal pain.

+1 ! I really had a negative attitude toward rigid tools, but I took the recommendation from someone else (Charles Neil), and got mine. I use the heck out of that thing! Belt and drum sander. Awesome tool for the money. I'd get it again in a heart beat.

Lee Reep
01-15-2015, 3:54 PM
Dittos on the praise for the Ridgid Oscillating Spindle Sander. Having the interchangeable drum and belt sander mechanisms, plus the oscillating feature, makes this one of the most versatile sanders I've ever used. I've got several Ridgid power hand tools, a compound miter saw, and a jointer, and their 15ga. framing nailer, and all have performed very well.

Jim Tobias
01-15-2015, 6:36 PM

Rich,
Were you referring to the pneumatic drums from Lee Valley? I have a Wilton Oscillating drum sander that I use also(and I have heard good things about the Rigid) but the pneumatic drums give you another option for sanding curved work. I have never had any issues with them rattling around on my drill press.
Jim

Rich Engelhardt
01-16-2015, 5:28 AM
Jim,
No - I was referring to the regular rubber drums they sell for attachments to a drill press.
All the ones of that type I tried thumped and bumped like they had a flat spot or something.

I finally chalked it up to trying to use the wrong tool for the wrong purpose and picked up the OSS.