PDA

View Full Version : Track saw troubles

Joe O'Connor
01-15-2015, 6:45 AM
I just got a makita track saw for Christmas and it is sweet. One problem though, I end up with slight burn marks on sheet goods and pretty severe with hard maple. My thought is that the base may not be aligned with the blade, I did a quick check with a tape and it looked ok. I thought you guys might have come across this problem or have a suggestion for a better way to verify alignment. I'm using the blade that came on the saw 48 tooth and other than the burns the cuts in plywood are great. Thanks.

Mike Goetzke
01-15-2015, 8:30 AM
It's been a while but I once had a Makita track saw system. I had burning too. As I recall it was due to the blade. I was able to buy some round shims to adapt a thin kerf Freud blade with less teeth - worked great.

Mike

Jared Sankovich
01-15-2015, 9:12 AM
Lower the speed a bit. I initially had the same issue with my Makita and have had no issues with burning since.

John Schweikert
01-15-2015, 9:14 AM
Too slow a cut rate is typical for burns. A blade with fewer teeth might be needed if you are ripping the maple. Maple is notorious for burning anyway.

I know on the Festool track saws, the blade is toed in by a up to about 5 thousandths to reduce so much side tooth burning the wood. I rarely get burning on my TS75. Not sure if the Makita can be adjusted in a similar fashion.

But if anything, one blade on a track saw will not do all tasks. I use an 18 tooth rip, 36 tooth general blade, and 54 tooth fine cut for better ply.

Dale Murray
01-15-2015, 1:11 PM
I have one and am continually blown away at the quality of cuts I get. No burning, and using original blade.