PDA

View Full Version : advice for biesemeyer fence extension table build, using granite top

cody michael
01-14-2015, 10:27 PM
I'm going friday to pick up my piece of granite for my biesemeyer fence extension table. I wanted to know how much if any support it will need, it will be 27 in wide 45 in long. Should I build a frame under it like I would for plywood? If so I have some maple about 1 in thick I would use, how wide should I cut it? I was thinking 2-3 inches? Any advice would be great

Joe Spear
01-14-2015, 11:19 PM
Why are you going with granite for an extension table? Seems kind of overkill.

Matt Day
01-15-2015, 6:49 AM
I would make a frame just like for plywood. Don't want it cracking.

But then again, I wouldn't use granite because I use my extension for a router table. As I said before, I'd use Corian or some kind of solid surface material that could be cut with woodworking tools.

keith micinski
01-15-2015, 8:08 AM
Granite is usually very flat and tends to stay that way. It's also very easy to clean stains and paint off of making a nice little assembly area. Granite is usually sold in 2cm or 3cm. 2 needs a 3/4 plywood subfloor if you will, when being installed under counter tops. 3cm doesn't require that piece of plywood but would still require a minimum framework underneath. Also you don't want more then ten inches of granite unsupported on an overhang. I am going to use Quartz for my side table and have them route the router plate opening out for me if I ever get around to it.

cody michael
01-15-2015, 8:52 AM
How thick of a frame do I need to support it, it will be 1 inch maple, would 3 inches be enough? The only place I'll have an overhang is about 3 inches

cody michael
01-15-2015, 2:55 PM
any advice on how to size the frame? I may start working on it tonight.

Kevin McCluney
01-15-2015, 7:28 PM
The frame supporting the granite top for my old saw is integrated into a cabinet. The frame is built from 3/4" x 1 1/2" (radiata) pine. Around the perimeter the sides of the cabinet support the frame. The cross pieces are spaced approximately 10" on center and are T-shaped using two pieces of the 3/4" x 1 1/2" pine. The granite is roughly 3/4" thick and overhangs either side of the cabinet, at most by 5". The granite is not attached to the cabinet nor was it attached to the saw. The saw's fence rail was attached to the cabinet along its front and an extension table connected the saw and cabinet in back.

cody michael
01-16-2015, 7:39 AM
thanks, I think 3 inch maple will work then, I am going to glue 4 strips of wood, about 12 inchs long to the granite, then build the frame and screw it into those strips, then bolt wood frame to angle iron of fence.