PDA

View Full Version : Capacitor for 1990 Minimax S45 Band Saw

Len Rosenberg
01-14-2015, 7:48 PM
My S45 stopped working. The original magnetic switch failed about a year and a half ago, and I replaced it with a new one from Minimax.
About 6 months ago, the switch got funky, and had to be pressed 5 or 6 times to start. And then after about 2 minutes of resawing 8" ash, the motor would stop, and would not start again unless it sat unused for 10 to 15 minutes. Based on researching similar issues posted here, it may be the capacitor or the switch. I will start with replacing the capacitor, but I don't know what to get to replace it. I am attaching a photo of the capacitor, and a photo of the motor specification plate. If anyone can tell me what I need as a replacement, and where to buy it, I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks,

Len

Peter Kelly
01-14-2015, 9:38 PM
Have you tested the capacitor with a multi-meter? Pretty simple to check if it's a dud or not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UQ79YKU5Qc

I didn't know Arbor made motors for SCM. Neat to see that.

Len Rosenberg
01-15-2015, 7:30 AM
Thanks Peter, I have not tested it. I will try to do that.

But have to buy a multi-meter first!

Len

Eduard Nemirovsky
01-15-2015, 8:35 AM
Did you try to call MiniMax?

Rod Sheridan
01-15-2015, 9:49 AM
Hi, it sounds like the overload protection for the motor is tripping.

What is the overload setting on the motor starter? (switch).

A photograph would help.

Very doubtful that it's your capacitor.................Regards, Rod.

Len Rosenberg
01-24-2015, 1:34 PM
I replaced the capacitor and the saw runs fine now. Got the capacitor from TEMCo, cost $7.89, free shipping!
The only problem is putting the motor capacitor switch housing back together. Seems impossible. I'm not talking about the magnetic start switch, I refer to a switch that the capacitor is connected to and resides in an aluminum housing bolted to the motor. It has a 0 and a 1 position. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Len