PDA

View Full Version : Osha approved ??

Clarence Martin
01-14-2015, 4:50 PM
Don't believe I have seen welding done like this ..

Mike Lassiter
01-14-2015, 5:43 PM
I've saw that a lot over the years. Saw the molten slag blown all over the hoses going to the torch too, and red hot metal cut and fall on the hoses or against them. Some people are oblivious to anything unless they are looking directly at it. I can see someone taking the picture for training purposes, but I hope that person went to the one in the picture and stopped him from it, and gave him some safety lessons. If he was working for me, I would have gave him a written warning about this. I conducted weekly safety meetings for over 4 years as Maintenance Supervisor and one of those was about safely using torches and welders.

Years ago, I worked for a city street dept as a welder/crew worker. One of the mechanics in the city garage had blown up a gas tank out of a police car by attempting to repair a hole in it. The guys said it blew him backwards several feet - didn't injure him. He was to dumb to get hurt!

Art Mann
01-14-2015, 7:54 PM
It is still bad, but it looks to me like the guy is using an angle grinder rather than welding. He might be using a cutting torch but I don't see the hoses.

Mark Bolton
01-14-2015, 8:04 PM
Simple fact is grinding sparks at any distance greater than a few inches are really inconsequential. None of those sparks are going to burn through a hose or create a problem other than bitting you in the but by pitting the plastic lenses on your regulator gauges.

Its not like its 5 gallon plastic gas can.

Brad Adams
01-14-2015, 9:51 PM
I agree with Mark. Those grinding sparks wont even burn a hole in your jeans if they are pointing at them.

Mike Lassiter
01-15-2015, 10:16 PM
those sparks are hitting the bottles and bouncing off still glowing red hot. I do agree some sparks wouldn't be much worry; but heavy pressure grinding with a grinder as strong as this one seems to be would catch something on fire. maybe not immediately but with those pictured it wouldn't take long.
There have been many news stories showing multi million dollar buildings BEING CONSTRUCTED that burned and where a total loss that were blamed on workers weldings or grinding. But be careless and blow cutting and grinding sparks and hot metal anywhere and then act surprised when something bad happens.